Could Rex become the Husker's Tebow ?

Comish

Real men can cry. I will refer you to the Marine Corps Sniper story. With 26 years in the Marine Corps, I would take Tebow instantly in my platoon, squad or fire team. He can be counted on to do the job, care about his fellow men, and always finish the job. Tears in this case were about love, loyalty and loss. A dream gone, a goal not attained, failure to do what he had given his word to do. There was no shame in what he did.

No need for further comment.

Um. I think by "polarizing" he just means a player that people either love or hate. Not sure how you found that incendiary.

Interesting. I always think it's a hoot when people try to answer for other people. Why would someone hate Tim Tebow or a kid like him? Doesn't make sense. The kid stands for everything that's good about football and life. To hate him would be a total waster of emotion.

Um. I think by "polarizing" he just means a player that people either love or hate. Not sure how you found that incendiary.

Interesting. I always think it's a hoot when people try to answer for other people. Why would someone hate Tim Tebow or a kid like him? Doesn't make sense. The kid stands for everything that's good about football and life. To hate him would be a total waster of emotion.

We are on the SAME page here. I totally agree with the premise that it's hard to understand why some people hate him.

My intent and belief was well presented by skersfan in post 12.

I originally made the "polarizing" comment precisely because there ARE folks who find him that way. I don't understand why, but guess it's because the media themselves are polarized with the love/hate dichotomy and people choose sides. His faith may be an issue for some, but I wish it wasn't. He appears genuine to me and seems to live his faith as well as articulate it.

The unfortunate veer of this post is that it is becoming about Tebow and it was supposed to be about whether or not Husker fans appreciated Rex for similar attributes as Tebow fans do for him.

It does make sense, if you have an open mind in terms of legitimately considering another perspective outside of the one you rigidly subscribe to. Some people find proselytizers like Tebow to be roadblocks in the path of human philosophical evolution. Some people find their righteous judgmental mentalities to be an affront to all they stand for (i.e. believe what I believe or you will literally suffer for all eternity.) I could go on a huge long diatribe about how stagnant religiously mired mindsets have resulted in untold numbers of deaths in the form of crusades or been utilized as a justifying salve for the conscience as widespread genocide takes place (manifest destiny) or how, through greed and in an interest of keeping church property in the church's ownership, religious leaders paved the way for an untold number of children to be sexually assaulted, but frankly I'm already bored with this conversation. The funny thing is, you don't even see the other side of the argument. Your coin has one face, your perception one narrow tunnel of light through which a limited number of ideas may be illuminated for your appraisal.

I'm not going to continue this conversation here. It's not the appropriate venue, and I've been guilty of having this conversation in the wrong place before. Feel free to PM me, or start a Tebow Christianity thread in the politics and religion forum if you feel the need to respond.

• Fire 1

We are on the SAME page here. I totally agree with the premise that it's hard to understand why some people hate him.

My intent and belief was well presented by skersfan in post 12.

I originally made the "polarizing" comment precisely because there ARE folks who find him that way. I don't understand why, but guess it's because the media themselves are polarized with the love/hate dichotomy and people choose sides. His faith may be an issue for some, but I wish it wasn't. He appears genuine to me and seems to live his faith as well as articulate it.

The unfortunate veer of this post is that it is becoming about Tebow and it was supposed to be about whether or not Husker fans appreciated Rex for similar attributes as Tebow fans do for him.

Thanks for commenting. I know exactly what you mean. I do see the same kind of qualities in Rex that I see in Tim. They are both hardworkers, true to their faith and would be a plus on anyone's team. Could you imagine how great the Huskers would be with a whole team of these types of guys!! Fortunately for us we do have several of these types of players! I think we're on the right track. I'm not sure what I want to have happen on the DC front though. I go back and forth. I think if Mike Stoops came here that would be pretty great but how long would he stay? On the other hand if JP is made DC he will be mentored by the best. So it's almost a win-win. It will be interesting to see what happens.

It does make sense, if you have an open mind in terms of legitimately considering another perspective outside of the one you rigidly subscribe to. Some people find proselytizers like Tebow to be roadblocks in the path of human philosophical evolution. Some people find their righteous judgmental mentalities to be an affront to all they stand for (i.e. believe what I believe or you will literally suffer for all eternity.) I could go on a huge long diatribe about how stagnant religiously mired mindsets have resulted in untold numbers of deaths in the form of crusades or been utilized as a justifying salve for the conscience as widespread genocide takes place (manifest destiny) or how, through greed and in an interest of keeping church property in the church's ownership, religious leaders paved the way for an untold number of children to be sexually assaulted, but frankly I'm already bored with this conversation. The funny thing is, you don't even see the other side of the argument. Your coin has one face, your perception one narrow tunnel of light through which a limited number of ideas may be illuminated for your appraisal.

I'm not going to continue this conversation here. It's not the appropriate venue, and I've been guilty of having this conversation in the wrong place before. Feel free to PM me, or start a Tebow Christianity thread in the politics and religion forum if you feel the need to respond.

Hi Nebula,

I'll send you a message. I have no time for religion either. It never works. But I'll share with you in my message what I do have time for.

I would appreciate it, though, that in the future that you be very careful how you judge people. You don't know me and for you to assume that you understand my belief system is pretty insulting. I don't mind that you might have a different view of things than I do, I'm fine with that. But I am offended that you would presume to know what I do and do not believe in. Be careful with that.

Hi Nebula,

I'll send you a message. I have no time for religion either. It never works. But I'll share with you in my message what I do have time for.

I would appreciate it, though, that in the future that you be very careful how you judge people. You don't know me and for you to assume that you understand my belief system is pretty insulting. I don't mind that you might have a different view of things than I do, I'm fine with that. But I am offended that you would presume to know what I do and do not believe in. Be careful with that.

You know, there is validity to what you're saying. I may have been guilty of pigeonholing you based upon my personal experiences and not upon what you have expressed. That's on me, not you.

Hi Nebula,

You know, there is validity to what you're saying. I may have been guilty of pigeonholing you based upon my personal experiences and not upon what you have expressed. That's on me, not you.

Just an observation. I hope it didn't sound 'angry or nasty''? I'm really a friendly person. I enjoy talking to people in all walks of life. Life is so very precious and so short. :)

At least we both share a common bond in our love for the Huskers!!! GO BIG RED!!

Just an observation. I hope it didn't sound 'angry or nasty''? I'm really a friendly person. I enjoy talking to people in all walks of life. Life is so very precious and so short. :)

At least we both share a common bond in our love for the Huskers!!! GO BIG RED!!

Not at all! I jumped the gun and was needlessly aggressive in my post. Like I said, that was on me, so I apologize for my presumptuous posturing :)

Not at all! I jumped the gun and was needlessly aggressive in my post. Like I said, that was on me, so I apologize for my presumptuous posturing :)

Don't apologize dude, stick to your guns. Ladyhawke just baited you into coming on too "strong". She's very tricky...you really gotta watch her. eyeswear2allthatsholy

I get the feeling that they are two very very different personalities.

I don't see Rex giving a "Promise Speech" like Tebow did. Rex is more of a silent leader would rather stay out of the spot light. As much as Tebow brushes off the media I get the feeling that he loves the attention.

And no way you'll see Rex crying his eyes out after a game. Instead, he makes LBs cry.

Don't apologize dude, stick to your guns. Ladyhawke just baited you into coming on too "strong". She's very tricky...you really gotta watch her. eyeswear2allthatsholy

I'll always stick to my guns, believe me. I think there was an element of aggressiveness in my post that was unwarranted though. You can't accuse people of being judgmental while being incredibly judgmental in the same breath. That's not a good way to make a point. I'm of the mindset that the best way for humanity to improve our overall intellectual understanding of the world around us is to actively combat that seemingly intrinsic character trait of holding faith in our own infallibility, thus, a willingness to concede that on occasion our opinions are not grounded in reason, or were not expressed well. I believe what I believe, that isn't going to change. How I express those beliefs can and DO change. It's that pursuit of self-improvement, an endeavor which for me is never ending. In that response I made earlier, I see plenty of room for improvement. ;)

Now, back to the topic at hand...

1. Tim Tebow has never said you were going to hell and suffer if you don't believe what he does.

2. Tebow blew through his $2.5 million signing bonus on various worldwide charity organizations focusing on famine, education and home-building in 24 hours last year.

If you don't like Christianity that's fine you don't have to, but to say he isn't a GREAT kid that helps people and doesn't just talk about it but goes out and walks his talks --your a fool.