Nebraska vs. #22 Creighton

Creighton led 46-45 when official Kelly Self called Christopher Niemann for fouling Grant Gibbs on a shot. Self then whistled Nebraska's Toney McCray for a technical foul. "I didn't think I really said anything," McCray said, "but the ref was talking about how he didn't like my hands going up, or whatever."

Self never offered an explanation to Sadler, who instead asked official Mike Sanzere why McCray received a technical. Sanzere consulted Self, and relayed to Sadler that Self didn't like a gesture McCray had made. "You're going to call a TECHNICAL for a GESTURE in a one-point game?" was Sadler's immediate response. "Was it a dirty gesture?"

No response was given. But meantime, officials were visiting with Creighton coach Greg McDermott and visiting a replay monitor, for reasons of which Sadler wasn't certain. So Sadler asked and received permission from Sanzere to go to that end of the court. There, he leaned up against the scorer's table with McDermott, who put his arm around Sadler.

Sadler, with a big grin, made a comment to McDermott about the great basketball game. Self then intervened and slapped Sadler with a technical.

LINK

Rosenthal did a pretty good job of explaining what happened with the two technicals. Translation: We got screwed by the refs.

:cry

Or maybe CU is just a better basketball team and probably would have won the game if this happened or not...

i hate nebraska fans that root for creighton. makes no sense to me. "oh our bball team sucks so lets root for the other team in the state!" my goodness talk bandwagon.

also known as: "I hate all Creighton fans."

i hate nebraska fans that root for creighton. makes no sense to me. "oh our bball team sucks so lets root for the other team in the state!" my goodness talk bandwagon.

Now Wait a minute! I live in Omaha. Creighton is located in Omaha. CU doesn't have a football team. NU has the only major football team in the state, so it's easy to root for the Huskers in football. I happen to like both in basketball, and it's a tough call which one to root for. CU is a local team, and you don't understand that? ???????

Creighton led 46-45 when official Kelly Self called Christopher Niemann for fouling Grant Gibbs on a shot. Self then whistled Nebraska's Toney McCray for a technical foul. "I didn't think I really said anything," McCray said, "but the ref was talking about how he didn't like my hands going up, or whatever."

Self never offered an explanation to Sadler, who instead asked official Mike Sanzere why McCray received a technical. Sanzere consulted Self, and relayed to Sadler that Self didn't like a gesture McCray had made. "You're going to call a TECHNICAL for a GESTURE in a one-point game?" was Sadler's immediate response. "Was it a dirty gesture?"

No response was given. But meantime, officials were visiting with Creighton coach Greg McDermott and visiting a replay monitor, for reasons of which Sadler wasn't certain. So Sadler asked and received permission from Sanzere to go to that end of the court. There, he leaned up against the scorer's table with McDermott, who put his arm around Sadler.

Sadler, with a big grin, made a comment to McDermott about the great basketball game. Self then intervened and slapped Sadler with a technical.

LINK

Rosenthal did a pretty good job of explaining what happened with the two technicals. Translation: We got screwed by the refs.

Or maybe CU is just a better basketball team and probably would have won the game if this happened or not...

Dude this is a HUSKER message board and you are getting butthurt over Nebraska fans being biased for their team, if you want to talk Creighton basketball, go find a Creighton forum. If this were any other team and no one knew that you were a Husker football fan, you would be constituted as a troll. We understand your a creighton fan and you think they are all world at every sport that Creighton participates in.

And cool your brother was a good baseball player. Good for him, and your family. But don't tell people to google your last name like you are god of all and that he got screwed by UNL blah blah blah. You are looking for pity on a message board.

• Fire 3

Good lord looks like the officials liking to screw NU extends beyond the gridiron.

Seriously?! I've never seen six free throws in a row...

How? It was a great hustle play by CU and NU was mad they were out hustled. Don't say anything to the ref and you won't get a T. And I have no idea what Doc was doing. Any coach would get a T in that situation.

No, you are wrong. Doc was given permission BY AN OFFICIAL to leave the coaches box and go to the other end to get an explanation. When he sat next to Greg the sore ass official thought he was out of line and T-ed him up without bothering to find out why Doc was down there. Your own coach did not think it was deserving of a Technical.

Okay, well that technical only resulted in one point. One free throw was missed. The other technical on McCray resulted in two points. McCray had NOTHING to argue. Great hustle and offensive rebound by CU player.

The foul wasn't on McCray, it was on Niemann, and McCray got T'd up for a "guesture." Not anything he said. Apparently throwing your hands to the air in frustration is something that requires the refs to swing the momentum of the game.

LINK

Dude this is a HUSKER message board and you are getting butthurt over Nebraska fans being biased for their team, if you want to talk Creighton basketball, go find a Creighton forum. If this were any other team and no one knew that you were a Husker football fan, you would be constituted as a troll. We understand your a creighton fan and you think they are all world at every sport that Creighton participates in.

And cool your brother was a good baseball player. Good for him, and your family. But don't tell people to google your last name like you are god of all and that he got screwed by UNL blah blah blah. You are looking for pity on a message board.

Pretty much sums it up. Great post

• Fire 1

Now Wait a minute! I live in Omaha. Creighton is located in Omaha. CU doesn't have a football team. NU has the only major football team in the state, so it's easy to root for the Huskers in football. I happen to like both in basketball, and it's a tough call which one to root for. CU is a local team, and you don't understand that? ???????

I understand how someone can be a fan of multiple teams - but every Creighton fan that I know personally simply flip-flops to CU during basketball season, and the rest of the year they're a Nebraska fan. That's lame.

LINK

Ya okay, first of all, someone called me out for being a CU basketball fan/Husker football fan before I said any of this. I shouldn't have to provide a reason for me liking Creighton, but since you guys are gonna call me out, I provided evidence. I have never used my family name in any argument up until now. I came here and all I said was it was a good hustle play (which it was) and McCray shouldn't have said anything to the ref. In the NBA, any gesture towards the ref is an automatic T, so it must be trickling down into the college ranks now also.

The refs did not screw you with one bad judgement call. Im sorry for stating the obvious. CU has a better team THIS SEASON. I do not think they are all world at everything. When have you seen me talk about CU at all other then in this thread? One time when I said I thought it was cool they were ranked in the top 25. Other than that, Im here for every Husker game joining in the conversation with you guys because most of all Im a college basketball fan. Don't call people out when all they are doing is talking basketball and you won't get ANY of the posts I wrote.

LINK

Ya okay, first of all, someone called me out for being a CU basketball fan/Husker football fan before I said any of this. I shouldn't have to provide a reason for me liking Creighton, but since you guys are gonna call me out, I provided evidence. I have never used my family name in any argument up until now. I came here and all I said was it was a good hustle play (which it was) and McCray shouldn't have said anything to the ref. In the NBA, any gesture towards the ref is an automatic T, so it must be trickling down into the college ranks now also.

The refs did not screw you with one bad judgement call. Im sorry for stating the obvious. CU has a better team THIS SEASON. I do not think they are all world at everything. When have you seen me talk about CU at all other then in this thread? One time when I said I thought it was cool they were ranked in the top 25. Other than that, Im here for every Husker game joining in the conversation with you guys because most of all Im a college basketball fan. Don't call people out when all they are doing is talking basketball and you won't get ANY of the posts I wrote.

First of all, I am not arguing the fact that Crieghton is a better basketball team, so don't pull that into it. While I agree, it is not hard to compare the programs and see that over the years Creighton has had a better program. And I don't know that anyone in this forum would disagree. I don't have a problem with you being a Creighton fan at all. I have a problem with the way you are treating Husker fans for saying that they were screwed, by saying it wouldn't matter bc we are a better team anyway. That is not debating something, it is acting childish. I havent read all of the posts in this thread but I am not sure anyone attacked you for being a Creighton fan other than asking why. But once again, this goes back to the fact that this is a Husker message board, but regardless of your football affiliation, you are not the same as the rest in the basketball forum, but you expect the same treatment as the football forum but get to defend your team in anyway, yet Husker fans are attacking you if they do so.

You did not simply "state the obvious", as you make it out to be. Someone posted an article with a first hand account of what went on at the game, and rather than replying with a post that had any worth, you post an emoction that enlists that they are crying and that you are a better team.

• Fire 3
i hate nebraska fans that root for creighton. makes no sense to me. "oh our bball team sucks so lets root for the other team in the state!" my goodness talk bandwagon

what's really sad, is when you talk with them......they are proud to be Jayskers.

These were posted before anything I posted that you claim was trolling. If my posts were trolling, what do you consider these? Of course Im going to defend myself when someone (or three people) call me out. I apologize if you think I was trolling.

Back on topic, like I said, I love college basketball. CU/NU aside, it was a great game and I enjoyed the hustle/effort from both teams.

And just a side note since this is a basketbll thread and I don't want to start a whole new thread how about UNO playing MSU last night! For UNO to play such a historic basketball program like MSU and to play against a coach like Tom Izzo, I think that is amazing! Especially in their first year in D1.

i hate nebraska fans that root for creighton. makes no sense to me. "oh our bball team sucks so lets root for the other team in the state!" my goodness talk bandwagon

what's really sad, is when you talk with them......they are proud to be Jayskers.

These were posted before anything I posted that you claim was trolling. If my posts were trolling, what do you consider these? Of course Im going to defend myself when someone (or three people) call me out. I apologize if you think I was trolling.

Back on topic, Iike I said, I love college basketball. CU/NU aside, it was a great game and I enjoyed the hustle/effort from both teams.

And just a side note since this is a basketbll thread and I don't want to start a whole new thread ho about UNO playing MSU last night! For UNO to play such a historic basketball program like MSU and to play against a coach like Tom Izzo, I think that is amazing! Especially in the first year in D1.

I have no problem with you defending yourself, its human. But also understand you're enemy in this forum, so expect some flak. I just didn't agree with the methods you are defending yourself with. But, all is well, the Creighton game is past and everyone can cheer for them both for the rest of the season if they please. I don't like Creighton, but I do like seeing a local team succeed.

I have no problem with you defending yourself, its human. But also understand you're enemy in this forum, so expect some flak. I just didn't agree with the methods you are defending yourself with. But, all is well, the Creighton game is past and everyone can cheer for them both for the rest of the season if they please. I don't like Creighton, but I do like seeing a local team succeed.

He is not an "enemy" in this forum. Po doesn't have over 3,000 posts by spouting out Creighton this and Creighton that. If you have ever checked out any BBall gae thread you normally find Po there talking and supporting Husker Basketball. Many a poster on this board has thrown Po crap for being a BlueJay fan during a baseball game or bball game and the guy just takes it in stride. If I was him I probably would have got sick of the sh#t a long time ago. He just brushes it off and goes with it. Easily one of my favorite posters on here, and a guy I would damage my liver with.

As for his reply to Nuance saying the refs screwed us. The guy is right. Blaming the refs is a piss poor excuse. Haven't we as fans set that as a standard in football? Why can't it translate to the hardwood. CU is better, and NU still has miles to go. It is what it is.

Po - First off, you can't accuse HUSKER fans on a HUSKER message board of trolling when they attack an OPPOSING fan base. That is not the definition of trolling. Anyway...

I appreciate the response of a crying emoticon, that is a tremendous way to argue a point. I also like how you assign certain freethrow makes to certain fouls. You claim Doc's T only drew one point while Toney's drew two. I'd love you to explain to me how you can assign those shots to those fouls. Especially when, had it not been for Doc's T, Doug would have shot 2 free throws... and he made his first two. Those second two would have never happened (and oh my gosh I hate you for sucking me into a debate about how to assign specific free throws to specific calls when more than one call has been made).

The thing I find amazing is that as far as I can tell (without reading every post) not one Husker fan has said "the refs cost Nebraska the game." This is amazing because fanbases almost always go straight to blaiming the officials even when it is extremely obvious the officials had little to do with it. I would argue, however, that this is one case where the refs did turn the game... in a huge way. Nebraska still had chances to win, the refs did not specifically cost the game. However, Nebraska was in the lead and looking good for the first time all game other than right before the half. To give a quick T on a simple motion (by the way, claiming the NBA gets T-ed up for any motion is absurd and then to compare it to college is even more absurd, you claim to be a college bball fan, tell me the next time you see a guy get T-ed up for throwing his hands in the air) was bad enough, but then to T up a coach that had received permission from another official to go get an explanation is absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe the worst part of the whole thing - I was at the game with a very clear view of what happened here - is those two T's should have never happened if the correct call was made. I didn't see the foul on Bo, but in talking to a player he swears Bo got hit. There's one that went unnoticed, fine; but BR got drilled twice before Toney's fould ever occurred. There's no possibly way the officials missed it either, if they were able to see Toney's foul they sure as hell were able to see BR getting nailed. That's the kind of sh*t that went on all game. Doc was livid before that for good reason. In a game where Nebraska gets called for two offensive fouls in which hardly any contact was made, how is McDermott able to hedge screens by riding the ball handler from the 3 point line all the way to center court? That, my friend, is a foul in even the most physical of games, let alone a game in which Nebraska to that point had not been allowed to even touch a CU player. Doc had every reason to be pissed and actually handled it well, and for that he was penalized. Ridiculous. If you don't think 5 free points (to gain the lead) that late in the game isn't a big enough swing to CHANGE (not cost) the game, you are not as big of a basketball fan as you claim.

EDIT: I should add, yes Creighton is better than Nebraska, we all knew that well before this game. You'll have fun watching them the rest of the season and through the postseason (although after watching them in person, I personally don't think they'll make it past round one of the tourney unless they get a good draw... not that impressed)

• Fire 2