Your opponents...the South Carolina Gamecocks

Well yall better load the box because we are a running team. After Latt went down Tennessee and Florida both tried that strategy and failed. We ran for 231 on UT and 215 on UF. If you dont load the box we will run it on you.

And the drop off isnt as drastic as you might think. Our guys are capable they just havent had many opportunities. There are some games where Shaw might only have 15 attempts, and most of the targets go to Alshon, so there are only so many balls that can go around.

So we're not seeing a ton of catches/yards for AJ because of scheme. That makes sense. The guy looks skilled, but his stats this year aren't eye-catching.

As for loading the box... I don't know. Pelini has been pretty pig-headed about that this year. We've been playing a pretty base defense most of the year. We have a couple of good LBs, David and Compton, and some other pretty skilled players, but we've held them in check via scheme than just letting them just tear around with their hair on fire.

One guy whose name you'll know very well by the end of the game, if you don't know him already, is Lavonte David. He's scary-good. Not getting a lot of draft buzz because he's small-ish for a LB, but he is a tackling machine.

We really don't need to load the box, because (I can't believe I'm saying this) I think if your backs get past the line, they won't make it past David, Compton, and company. And claiming your ran for over 200 yards on Tennesee? I'm not so sure if I'd be too proud of that, and considering all florida could do was run, you may want to rethink your previous statement.

If SoCar scores more than 10, I'd be surprised. AJ will get 4 or 5 catches for 60 yds, you'll run for about 100 yds, and end up with 225 yrds total offense and lose by almost two scores.

Only way that doesn't happen, if you guys sneak somebody into our locker room, tell us we're playing Washington and have last years A&M game officials show up....

Well yall better load the box because we are a running team. After Latt went down Tennessee and Florida both tried that strategy and failed. We ran for 231 on UT and 215 on UF. If you dont load the box we will run it on you.

And the drop off isnt as drastic as you might think. Our guys are capable they just havent had many opportunities. There are some games where Shaw might only have 15 attempts, and most of the targets go to Alshon, so there are only so many balls that can go around.

So we're not seeing a ton of catches/yards for AJ because of scheme. That makes sense. The guy looks skilled, but his stats this year aren't eye-catching.

As for loading the box... I don't know. Pelini has been pretty pig-headed about that this year. We've been playing a pretty base defense most of the year. We have a couple of good LBs, David and Compton, and some other pretty skilled players, but we've held them in check via scheme than just letting them just tear around with their hair on fire.

One guy whose name you'll know very well by the end of the game, if you don't know him already, is Lavonte David. He's scary-good. Not getting a lot of draft buzz because he's small-ish for a LB, but he is a tackling machine.

We really don't need to load the box, because (I can't believe I'm saying this) I think if your backs get past the line, they won't make it past David, Compton, and company. And claiming your ran for over 200 yards on Tennesee? I'm not so sure if I'd be too proud of that, and considering all florida could do was run, you may want to rethink your previous statement.

If SoCar scores more than 10, I'd be surprised. AJ will get 4 or 5 catches for 60 yds, you'll run for about 100 yds, and end up with 225 yrds total offense and lose by almost two scores.

Only way that doesn't happen, if you guys sneak somebody into our locker room, tell us we're playing Washington and have last years A&M game officials show up....

Not sure if serious...

Florida(9th) and Tennessee(28th) both have better defenses than Nebraska(36th)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=defense&cat2=Total&conference=I-A_all&year=2011&sort=1124

"and considering all florida could do was run, you may want to rethink your previous statement".....umm what?

SCGamecock, I'm not sure why you'd use Rivals as a basis for rating a defense. Kind of like using a golf cart as your commuter car, isn't it? Here's the season stats from the NCAA:

Tennessee

Rushing Defense - 69

Passing Defense - 51

Total Defense - 28

Scoring Defense - 35

Florida

Rushing Defense - 40

Passing Defense - 19

Total Defense - 9

Scoring Defense - 25

And for our game:

Nebraska

Rushing Defense -66

Passing Defense - 25

Total Defense - 36

Scoring Defense - 39

South Carolina

Rushing Defense - 45

Passing Defense - 2

Total Defense - 4

Scoring Defense - 13

Clearly the best overall defense of the four teams is South Carolina's. Nebraska is better than Tennessee but not Florida. Overall, we'd be third in this little list.

Not sure about South Carolina's stats against these defenses, but I think what you did against these two may give you a barometer of what you could expect against Nebraska. Also depends on how healthy everyone is, everyone's interest/motivation level, etc.

Lots of variables, and the numbers don't tell me that we'll run all over the c$%ks. Should be tough sledding, and a test of wills.

Where you'll get burned with this line of thinking is when SC puts 5 WR on the line and you have to drop your LB's into coverage to help the safety's. Then you'll see a 5 yard dump pass to a TE on a crossing pattern turn into a 15+ yard gain or a Shaw run on a delayed QB draw go for the same amount due to the backers being pulled off the line. So yeah, you need to load the box.

Where you'll get burned is when SC puts 4 WR on the line and you have to drop your LB's into coverage to help the safety's. Then you'll see a 5 yard dump pass to a TE on a crossing pattern turn into a 15+ yard gain or a Shaw run on a delayed QB draw go for the same amount due to the backers being pulled off the line.

How good are those four WRs, though? I have confidence that Dennard can take AJ himself. Andrew Green, our other CB, has had a shaky season his first year as a starter, but has played far better the last few game than in the first. I'm less concerned about Green than I used to be, unless you have to Jeffreys, then it could be trouble for us. I'm cool with either Compton or David - especially David - covering any TE you have, sight unseen. David is a beast. It depends on who we have playing at that third LB position, whether it's Whaley or Martin or (shudder) Fisher. If it's either of the first two, both are athletic enough to cover, but not good technique-wise. If it's Fisher you'll get your completion. Love the guy, but he's a student more than an athlete.

The real worry is if you spread the field, fill the pattern, then have Shaw take off downfield. Our D Line has been poor at containment, and running QBs have gashed us all year.

How good are those four WRs, though?

What I'm saying is it doesn't matter. Because of this...

The real worry is if you spread the field, fill the pattern, then have Shaw take off downfield. Our D Line has been poor at containment, and running QBs have gashed us all year.

We've been using those patterns as designed runs all year. There's no intention to really pass it from it unless the LB don't cover deep and we get a man/man look somewhere. It's just a look designed to soften middle and pull the LB/CB from 5 yards deep back to 10-15 yards deep. At that point, it's all about trap blocking by our OL and QB speed. If you don't drop the LB's to cover the designed run, then there's a 15-20 yard high/low high percentage pass pattern.

It's simply using the talent pool we currently have after suffering some personnel setbacks.

I posted this in another thread, not sure if you saw it and it doesn't hurt to repost. Here's a prototypical look and feel of that play (a pic worth 1000 words....)

Now how it works on Jan 2, 2012, IDK. All I'm doing is telling you what we've done and how it's worked. I'm sure your coaches have seen the same thing and you'll be prepped for it. Most bowl games favor the defense anyway since they have much longer to prep and don't have to be as precise (timing wise) as an offense.

I'm sure your coaches have seen the same thing and you'll be prepped for it.

Ahhh..... we'll see. Bo is just set in his ways this year, it seems. He hasn't varied from his base defense much, just a bit of Peso or Spinner here and there. The stand-up D Line is a wrinkle he throws in once in a while, but overall it's the same. And we don't have the best personnel to run it, which is baffling in Bo's fourth year, with guys he's recruited filling the starting roles.

I anticipate you'll move the ball pretty well. I anticipate Shaw will get his yards. You probably won't be crazy-successful passing, but you probably won't need to be. And if you time it right, those few passes could pay off big-time. Spurrier has to be licking his chops looking at this defense.

I anticipate you'll move the ball pretty well. I anticipate Shaw will get his yards. You probably won't be crazy-successful passing, but you probably won't need to be. And if you time it right, those few passes could pay off big-time.

^^ Pretty much how I see it.

Edit: Something else I anticipate is David getting his licks in. Our offense should have a very healthy respect for his abilities. I think it's a new twist for us this year, as he'll be the most or one of the most skilled LB's we've seen this year . Most of the top flight defenders we faced have been on the DL (GA). Of course we aren't the same team we were then so take it for what it's worth.

Honestly, I think it's going to come down to the old adages of the game, turnovers and penalties.

Where you'll get burned with this line of thinking is when SC puts 5 WR on the line and you have to drop your LB's into coverage to help the safety's. Then you'll see a 5 yard dump pass to a TE on a crossing pattern turn into a 15+ yard gain or a Shaw run on a delayed QB draw go for the same amount due to the backers being pulled off the line. So yeah, you need to load the box.

Actually we run a matchup zone coverage where if someone is in their zone they cover them man the rest of the play. This is where the mobile QB kills us. The safeties are deep helping the corners and everyone else has their back to the QB so when he takes off, he gets at least ten yards every time. So if we just throw underneath routes all the you likely won't get many RAC yards, unless we have Blatchford or Thorell (white guys from rural Nebraska) playing, which we will.

I think we actually see one of these three guys see some significant playing time and actually make an impact: Cooper, Osborne or SJB. Would not be surprised to see one of these guys as the Peso. I also think that we will also see Bo bring back the highly rated and much anticipated Super D position form 2003. Osborne back to Safety abd Stafford slides up to Super D role or even SJB. Remember, you heard it wished for here first!

Got off work last night and swung by the Gas Station by my house here in Manhattan. The cashier inside was wearing a black sweater with a Red Block N and I had an interesting conversation with the guy...

Me: Nebraska huh

Him: Yea of course

Me: Ya'll have got a real good game coming up

Him: No joke it'll be great I'm just glad Lattimore is hurt

Me: Meh...I'm not

Him: Ya you know he was heavily recruited by Nebraska, he almost picked us, we were his number two

Me: Huh

:facepalm:

Clearly this one isolated experience proves that all of you are on crack

We need to load the box because of your potent air attack? Not sure your reasoning on that.

Yeah but aside from AJ, who are your other 4 recievers? Moe, Larry, Curly & Shep? Your recieving corp takes a bit of a header after AJ.