SIGNED S Tre'Vell Dixon

Nexus

With the McWilson decommit, do we still let him start out at WR? We already have good depth there and need help at safety. And IMO he would make a great safety.

The reason why we have good depth at WR, is because we have a solid starting group and young guys. Definition of depth. If you move all the young guys to DB, there is no long depth and in 3 years, we will have no one to play the position. Plus, you need 2 safeties on the field for a game and need 3-4 WR.

We have a solid group of starting receivers plus a solid group waiting behind them. Dixon would be a third stringer, if he was lucky, at WR. Whereas at safety he would be able to compete for playing time immeadiately. Our wide receivers are stacked on a great offense, we are hurting at safety on a weak, unproven defense. He is needed more at safety, he may start at WR but I wouldn't be surprised if he jumps to safety because of the lack of depth there.

After a redshirt year, you don't think he could compete for a back-up role in the slot? So let's look at his RS-soph year, there will be no Bell, Turner, Quincy, Wullenwaber. That leaves Alonzo Moore, Westerkamp, Allen, and a bunch of guys from small town Nebraska who realistically can only be expected to contribute on special teams.

That means you're relying on Moore (0 snaps in career), Westerkamp (0 snaps), Allen (2 career catches) to 100% hold down the WR position. Surely they will have a little more experience after 2 more years, but it wouldn't hurt to have Dixon in the mix to provide a little more certainty for the position going forward.

Gladney?

Sure, throw in Gladney in there too. The point remains that right now after two seasons, we only have 3-4 players to play 3-4 WR spots. I'm not saying we are bare at WR, that is obviously not the case, but we need to continue building our depth at the position, we can't just be content because we are loaded at the moment

With the McWilson decommit, do we still let him start out at WR? We already have good depth there and need help at safety. And IMO he would make a great safety.

The reason why we have good depth at WR, is because we have a solid starting group and young guys. Definition of depth. If you move all the young guys to DB, there is no long depth and in 3 years, we will have no one to play the position. Plus, you need 2 safeties on the field for a game and need 3-4 WR.

We have a solid group of starting receivers plus a solid group waiting behind them. Dixon would be a third stringer, if he was lucky, at WR. Whereas at safety he would be able to compete for playing time immeadiately. Our wide receivers are stacked on a great offense, we are hurting at safety on a weak, unproven defense. He is needed more at safety, he may start at WR but I wouldn't be surprised if he jumps to safety because of the lack of depth there.

After a redshirt year, you don't think he could compete for a back-up role in the slot? So let's look at his RS-soph year, there will be no Bell, Turner, Quincy, Wullenwaber. That leaves Alonzo Moore, Westerkamp, Allen, and a bunch of guys from small town Nebraska who realistically can only be expected to contribute on special teams.

That means you're relying on Moore (0 snaps in career), Westerkamp (0 snaps), Allen (2 career catches) to 100% hold down the WR position. Surely they will have a little more experience after 2 more years, but it wouldn't hurt to have Dixon in the mix to provide a little more certainty for the position going forward.

What's even scarier is if you peek forward two more years to Dixon's senior year. Nebraska has exactly zero players with a single snap in college football that will be playing Dixon's senior year. That's right! In 2017 we will have absolutely no experience at the WR position. None. Zero.

• Fire 2

What's even scarier is if you peek forward two more years to Dixon's senior year. Nebraska has exactly zero players with a single snap in college football that will be playing Dixon's senior year. That's right! In 2017 we will have absolutely no experience at the WR position. None. Zero.

Yup. Absolutely. I don't know why you're trying to be an ass about it. I'm not talking crap about the team or saying our WR's suck, I'm just saying when you look at our roster, I can make a pretty strong case that he is needed at the WR position more than the safety position for the future. If you disagree, make a case for it, you don't have to try to derail a legitimate, civil conversation. Obviously we will have more recruits and experience by the time he is a RS-Soph, but it's not guaranteed everyone pans out and stays healthy.

Thats a good statement but the same goes for safety and its worse. Who do we have at safety? Harvey Jackson is the only one with playing experience and behind him who do we have? Corey Cooper has some game experience but he may not be a safety next year. Charles Jackson is rumored to go but no one knows for sure. After that we have Gerry and Singleton, both are unproven and could be busts. We have 4 safeties, maybe 5 with Cooper, that is a far worse situation then at WR. Although Dixon wants to be a WR, and will start off there, he is needed much more at safety.

Thats a good statement but the same goes for safety and its worse. Who do we have at safety? Harvey Jackson is the only one with playing experience and behind him who do we have? Corey Cooper has some game experience but he may not be a safety next year. Charles Jackson is rumored to go but no one knows for sure. After that we have Gerry and Singleton, both are unproven and could be busts. We have 4 safeties, maybe 5 with Cooper, that is a far worse situation then at WR. Although Dixon wants to be a WR, and will start off there, he is needed much more at safety.

Yes, Charles is definitely moving to safety, it's not a rumor really. I have heard three coaches talk about it openly, he practiced there throughout bowl practices. Plus P.J. Smith acknowledged that he is moving to safety, as well.

But you're right, too. My thinking is just that you need 4 capable WR's and only two safeties. We are extremely inexperienced there, but just as a reference point, take Dixon's RS-soph year. Hypothetically, there will Charles Jackson as a 3 year starter being a senior, Gerry a RS-soph, Singleton possibly a returning starter as a junior. Our problems at safety our NOW, but I think will be secure by the time Dixon will realistically get playing time, whereas at WR we are in great shape now, but will be in trouble in the future.

In the end, we are both probably right, just differing opinions. I think the coaches will move him to where ever they see him being needed which is good enough for me

Yes, Charles is definitely moving to safety, it's not a rumor really. I have heard three coaches talk about it openly, he practiced there throughout bowl practices. Plus P.J. Smith acknowledged that he is moving to safety, as well.

But you're right, too. My thinking is just that you need 4 capable WR's and only two safeties. We are extremely inexperienced there, but just as a reference point, take Dixon's RS-soph year. Hypothetically, there will Charles Jackson as a 3 year starter being a senior, Gerry a RS-soph, Singleton possibly a returning starter as a junior. Our problems at safety our NOW, but I think will be secure by the time Dixon will realistically get playing time, whereas at WR we are in great shape now, but will be in trouble in the future.

In the end, we are both probably right, just differing opinions. I think the coaches will move him to where ever they see him being needed which is good enough for me

Very true. I think he will be a solid player for us wherever he plays at.

Gladney?

=

I think Brandon Reilly for Lincoln could be a player someday. Wynne is intriguing in the slot although he's not the biggest. Good runner. Not sure what kind of hands he has. Foltz did pretty well at Grand Island. We have a few bodies that could provide depth. More so than CB IMO.

Alexander should be included in the safety talk

^This. Leroy Alexander is a guy people are forgetting about!

Absolutely. I actually totally forgot about him. If Charles Jackson does start at safety, I would suspect Leroy to to move in to CJax role last year of lighting people up on kickoffs. Then in the following years emerge as a possible SS starter.