Is Delany too old-school? (or an idiot?)

treyball3

Delany is SO opposed to a "Plus-One", that if it were to happen, which it sounds like its very plausible now, he's willing to keep the B1G from participating in it! I just don't get all the "Rose Bowl or nothing" talk in today's college football.

Hopefully we don't regret joining this conference!

Sounds like it might start hurting recruiting too..

It’s possible Delany will remain steadfast against it anyway. He suggested to SI.com’s Andy Staples on Thursday that if pushed, the Big Ten might sit out the Football Final Four. Good luck with that. How quickly will coaches from other leagues point out to recruits that if you sign with a Big Ten team, you won’t have a chance to compete for the national title?

“I like that,” texted one ACC assistant Thursday. “ might start using [it] now.”

Urban Meyer, Bret Bielema and the others are going to stand for that?

http://rivals.yahoo....ns_steam_120811

I have no problem with Delaney trying to protect tradition.

4. You have to have the illusion that you’re protecting the regular season. (A playoff actually would increase interest and TV ratings in the regular season, but the head-in-the-sand crowd argues otherwise.)

what?

I have no problem with Delaney trying to protect tradition.

4. You have to have the illusion that you’re protecting the regular season. (A playoff actually would increase interest and TV ratings in the regular season, but the head-in-the-sand crowd argues otherwise.)

what?

you have no problem with him trying to protect tradition to the extent of no B1G team would play in the national championship again? If Nebraska goes 13-0 and plays in the Rose Bowl, with no national championship at stake, you're ok with that? I'm not!

I am losing confidence in him.

1. He is not be pro-active (or not taking risks) in adding more B1G teams. Handing Missouri to the SEC was a mistake IMO. What other decent midwest teams are left?

2. Not having night games in Nov limits the exposure for some big time match-ups. The marquee SEC games are always at night.

3. I heard he was the brains behind the 3 B1G vs SEC games on new years day all starting at the same time with the thought being B1G teams are covering the airwaves. This hurts your die hard B1G fans and is just plain stupid.

Wow what a moron! It's big money weasels like Delaney and the rest of the BCS pumpers (I'm looking right at you Harvey Nerdman :grr ) that are keeping the sport of CFB from advancing past the corrupt joke it's been for the bulk of it's existence. Seriously how much longer a fans going to continue to support a system this unjust and broken? O well, as long as our DONU has a seat at the big boys table who really cares. Never mind the fact that NU and schools like it will only be getting moved farther and farther from the head of that table where Daddy's favorites down south are firmly entrenching themselves. Money talks and bullsh#t walks ay?

Sadly I find myself caring less and less about the sport every year and It's only a matter of time (prob a couple SEC vs. SEC national championships from now) before I stop giving a sh#t entirely.....

Delaney is just thinking about cash not tradition(besides "TAXSLAYER.COM gator bowl" sounds traditional? Big has a pretty fat set up at the moment and he knows it, why share all this cash in the playoffs. For the most part I like him, but this is short term thinking as there is a hell of a lot more money if this sport has a legit playoff and championship. I doubt he would make BIG sit out a playoff, he's just making threats using the BIG brand as leverage.

Delaney is doing everything he can to protect the BIG's aq status. He knows. as well as everyone else here, that the national perception against the BIG as a conference that is down every year and one that beats each other once as we do, will never get a bcs bowl bid if the aq statuses are removed and we go to this plus one system. All he is doing is looking out for the best interests as a conference and if this were to come to fruitiion, he would probably look into locking up a spot contractually with the Rose Bowl to still at least have that big payout. However, I personally do not agree with him, he has the power of opportunity to help get things moving in the right direction. With his mind and power he could be one to help the advancement of college football as a whole. But that's not his job and it might not be the best for this conference.

• Fire 1

I hate the idea of "bowl games"

Always have.

I mean it's great for the players, but for the postseason of college football to revovle around what team brings in the most money is stupid.

I don't know about Delaney. I'd like to see him loosen up about the "Rose Bowl Tradition" and help figure out the best way to go about deciding the national champion.

Money talks.

We were dead set against going past Thanksgiving(consistently) for Big Ten football. What happened? We pushed the season back.

We were dead set against a champ game. what happened? We got one annually in Indy(now we are playing in December)

He can talk all he wants but a +1 will probably be agreed upon. I agree with no playoff though. He's right about that. a 4 team playoff will NEVER stick. It will be like College Basketball, adding teams to the playoff year after year until the regular season is almost meaningless.

Well, two things: first, he knows exactly what he is doing. He is politicking. There is absolutely no way the B1G would not enter into that relationship, he is attempting to use the idea that we would as leverage. Its not up to him anyhow, its up to the presidents. Second, this isn't about the money either. Read the Andy Staples Article on SI.com, there are quotes in there from Delaney the other night where he says the argument for going to a playoff is financial, not staying as is. At the end of the day he just wants to make sure that the Rose Bowl is protected, as long as that happens he will fall right in line, so he is saying these things to make sure he gets the Rose bowl and then he will say, "okay, +1 game is cool with us." Everyone can relax, he knows exactly what he is doing.

Sadly I think he may be representing a good chuck of the actual opinions from long time big ten followers and fans. Listening to a number of the Nebraska media guys who traveled along to road games, and covered the big ten in general, getting to the Rose Bowl seems to be a bigger deal to many, if not all of the Big Ten schools. Even more important than wining a national title.