Offensive Line

BIG ERN

We will lose tackle Hardrick & Jones along with center Caputo for next year. Who do you guys see starting next year on the O-line?

Anyone heard anything on the young guys in Sterup, Givens-Price, Moudy, Reeves, or Klachko?

I haven't heard much, but we have a lot of talent on the O-line to step up next year...I'm not too concerned.

We will lose tackle Hardrick & Jones along with center Caputo for next year. Who do you guys see starting next year on the O-line?

Anyone heard anything on the young guys in Sterup, Givens-Price, Moudy, Reeves, or Klachko?

I haven't heard much, but we have a lot of talent on the O-line to step up next year...I'm not too concerned.

Seeing as we have no one to replace Caputo with any starting experience, I am worried. I still have seen no real player development in 4 yrs. Always semms to be a significant drop off when a starter goes down. And, IMO, playing time do to injuries does not constitute development. You can also point to the schollie limits as a reason, but it has been yrs since our 2nd string has been even close to the abilities of the starters. I think a lot of this has to do with Cally (pro) and Bo coming form the NFL and having that mentality that is simply starters start and other guys prepare for when injury strikes.

I have also heard for 3 yrs about the pipeline being back, or the deepest we have been in years or we are really going to impose our will this year stuff far to long to believe any of it.

Seeing as we have no one to replace Caputo with any starting experience, I am worried. I still have seen no real player development in 4 yrs. Always semms to be a significant drop off when a starter goes down. And, IMO, playing time do to injuries does not constitute development. You can also point to the schollie limits as a reason, but it has been yrs since our 2nd string has been even close to the abilities of the starters. I think a lot of this has to do with Cally (pro) and Bo coming form the NFL and having that mentality that is simply starters start and other guys prepare for when injury strikes.

I have also heard for 3 yrs about the pipeline being back, or the deepest we have been in years or we are really going to impose our will this year stuff far to long to believe any of it.

playing time is playing time. it translates into experience. unless to you game-time experience has no value, in which case you're probably the lone person that was satisfied w/ the playing time turner, heard, green and carnes received this year.

and cally was one of the better OL guys we've had at NU.

and you're seariously worried about losing Caputo? i like they guy and all - but whoever we put in his place will be equal, if not an upgrade.

and i think you're hanging out in the wrong coffee shop if you've been hearing the pipeline is back.

playing time is playing time. it translates into experience. unless to you game-time experience has no value, in which case you're probably the lone person that was satisfied w/ the playing time turner, heard, green and carnes received this year.

and you're seariously worried about losing Caputo? i like they guy and all - but whoever we put in his place will be equal, if not an upgrade.

and i think you're hanging out in the wrong coffee shop if you've been hearing the pipeline is back.

Playing time and development is different.

Am I worried about losing Caputo. Yes. experience and leadership are hard to replace. What guy has any real experience behind him?

I don't have time to go back and find quotes, but you have been living in a hole if you have not heard folks talk about deepest ever, imposing the will, strength of the team etc.... That is what I am tired off. The foundation is getting laid, but the pipes aren't even in place let alone a pipeline. It has a long way to go.

Yea, burning guys shirts for 10 snaps is awesome. :sarcasm

Cally was a great O line coach and recruiter. Not knocking him. Just that NFL mentality of only the starter gets meaningful reps.

Playing time and development is different.

Am I worried about losing Caputo. Yes. experience and leadership are hard to replace. What guy has any real experience behind him?

I don't have time to go back and find quotes, but you have been living in a hole if you have not heard folks talk about deepest ever, imposing the will, strength of the team etc.... That is what I am tired off. The foundation is getting laid, but the pipes aren't even in place let alone a pipeline. It has a long way to go.

Yea, burning guys shirts for 10 snaps is awesome. :sarcasm

Cally was a great O line coach and recruiter. Not knocking him. Just that NFL mentality of only the starter gets meaningful reps.

I won't miss seeing Caputo getting shoved around and often times being outclassed on the field next year, but mark my words we are going to miss his sure handed snapping ability. How many bad snaps/exchanges have there been between Caputo and Martinez in 2 years?

I think most of who we saw play this year will play next year.

Reeves will make a push for playing time alongside Pensick though. But i think that is about it.

I don't see too many opportunities next year for someone to take over a spot. Doesn't mean they won't see playing time, we rotated a lot of the guys in this year, we will probably do the same thing next year. But i fully expect some rearranging on the OL to get guys like Sirles, Rodriguez, Cotton, Long, Choi, and Moore to be on the field most of the time.

I see it as:

LT- Sirles

LG- A. Rod

C- Reeves

RG- Long

RT- Moore

If Peat comes in and is as good as projected, he might take over LT with Sirles rotating in at both tackle spots. Choi, Klachko and Thompson will hopefully rotate at the guard spots.

Considering most of our "second stringers" this year (Sirles, T. Moore and either ARod or Choi, whoever you consider the backup) have been starters at some point, I think you're being a little dramatic.

Did I miss this or did Sirles start at LG against Iowa? I didn't really notice anything until I saw T. Moore come in at LT when Yoshii got hurt. But then I noticed in the game stats on Huskers.com that Sirles was listed as the starter at LG. My DVR screwed up so I couldn't go back and check.

I also like Caputo and we might miss something as far as pre-snap assignments but I think he's just too small to really be a force in the middle. I don't expect a big dropoff (and hopefully a gain).

With the guys currently on the roster, I would see the following lineup next year:

LT - Sirles

LG - Rodriguez or Choi then Klachko

C - Pensick or Reeves

RG - Long then Qvale or Thompson

RT - T. Moore

I'm not really sure on the backup tackles but I would think Ash and Sterup would be in the mix. It wouldn't surprise me if either Reeves or Klachko ended up starting.

Here's one interesting possibility if we were to land Andrus Peat:

LT - Peat

LG - Sirles

C - Pensick or Reeves

RG - Long or Klachko

RT - T. Moore

If Reeves and Klachko were to win those jobs, that would be three freshmen, a soph and a junior. That would be the foundation of a solid line for several years. Choi and Thompson would be the only seniors in the entire group.

Losing a center always hurts. In 2006, TO might very well have pulled off a 4 peat had it not been for trying to fill the gap left when Aaron Graham graduated. The Arizona State game that year was horrible. I think we can plug and play at the rest of the OL positions, but replacing the center could prove to be a bit more challenging.

I'm surprised at how many people have A-Rod and Choi as equals next year. I know A-Rod has no where to go but up but Choi was a beast when he got he chances and arguably should have been the starter all year.

I don't really think they're equals but the coaches seemed to have a different opinion that I do.