Caputo - playing in the Cap-One Bowl?

knapplc

Wow, it's a little early in the month for the police to be mad-dashing to meet their quota. There must be some sort of Christmas bonus in play.

Well, DUIs are serious business, and

Beggs said an officer found Caputo sleeping in the driver's seat of a running vehicle.

I've woken up to that rap tap tap on the window with my car running to stay warm. Thankfully the cop just gave me the ride 5 blocks home from work to my house.

So they ticketed him for DUI when he wasn't even moving? Just sitting there?? Wow.

Wow, it's a little early in the month for the police to be mad-dashing to meet their quota. There must be some sort of Christmas bonus in play.

Beggs said an officer found Caputo sleeping in the driver's seat of a running vehicle.

I've woken up to that rap tap tap on the window with my car running to stay warm. Thankfully the cop just gave me the ride 5 blocks home from work to my house.

So they ticketed him for DUI when he wasn't even moving? Just sitting there?? Wow.

That's the law, and while it's dumb, can't blame them for enforcing it.

So long as you are in the car and you have to capability of engaging it in movement, that's a DUI. That means it doesn't even have to be running or the keys in the ignition; it can be you in the car (seating doesn't matter, either) with the keys in your pocket or even in the back seat. The determining factor is control. If you have control, regardless whether you are exercising it, that's all it takes. Now, if you don't have the keys, no DUI - but it could be public intoxication or some other violation.

There seems to be quite a bit of misinformation out there so I will try to clear the air a bit.

The Nebraska Supreme Court had a similar case a couple months ago:

http://www.supremeco...t14/s10-232.pdf

Driver's seat+keys in the ignition+place held open to the public=DUI. (Note that in State v. McCave a private driveway was not a place held open to the public. An apartment parking lot or a gas station is held open to the public.)

I've seen people attempt the "who knows what my BAC was when I was driving" argument in court but I have never seen it work.

A drunk guy in the passenger seat of a running car would most likely be a decline to file.

Do you think he carried that car to the gas station?

So what's the story? Was he driving or was he in a parked car?

Drunk driving is a huge no no, but I definitely have sympathy for the guy if he is sleeping in an idle car while trying to stay warm.

In a car asleep on the steering wheel. Question is did he drive there or get dropped off after being with friends. And if he did drive there how long was he asleep in the car since your BAC rises. Its also possible. . .that a person could have driven there at the limit or below...waited a period of time and had his/her limit rise above legal limits. Thats why its hard to know when he wasn't in the actual act of driving even though the law would state he had the intent.

I bet we end up with public intox.

If that's the case he has Johnnie Cochran for a defense attorney and an extremely generous DA. I think it's damn near impossible that this ends up a public intox unless the officer made some serious errors in his report. Lancaster County has a felony/misdemeanor diversion program but I doubt that DUIs are included. My guess is 6 months probation, 400 fine, 60 day license revocation.

How many of you have honestly never drove after having a drink...or a few? My guess is most of you guys criticizing Caputo for doing this have done it yourselves. The guy is in college. College kids make mistakes all the time. I can't judge the guy when I have done the same thing before.

I've never driven after being anywhere close to the legal limit. I've certainly made mistakes before, but driving drunk is different. You're putting other people in danger, not just yourself. Not cool.

So your telling me..

1. You don't drink, or only have like one..maybe two 12 oz. beers when you go out. Nothing wrong with that. My parents don't drink at all.

2. Spend a lot of money on cabs when you were in college...now...or both.

3. Have the BEST friends ever to drive you around and not have a drink themselves.

4. Love to walk long distances and maybe even love jogging...or yogging (if your Ron Burgundy) at the wee hours of the night.

Just curious as to which it is.

It has to be only one?

1. If I'm driving, I don't drink or I drink very little.

3. You don't need the "BEST friends ever" in order to have a designated driver or to just find someone who isn't drunk to drive.

4. I've only pushed the legal limit a couple times - and one of those times I did just walk home.

Anyways, since you're on people for being too "judgemental," I'm not "judging" Caputo as a human being. He's probably a good guy who maybe had a bad night and just made a mistake. But I'll sure as hell judge that mistake - it's a bad, BAD mistake. Not only did he let his teammates down as they're going to have to face the best D-line they've faced all year without their leader, but alcohol impaired drivers are involved in about 1/3 car crash deaths, so he put OTHER PEOPLE in danger by driving under the influence. You just don't do that - I don't care how young you are or how much fun you didn't get to have because you had to drive instead of drink - you don't put other people in danger.

There is nearly no way he didn't drive to that gas station. It's in the middle of nowhere. There isn't a bar within half a mile. He didn't park his car there and get a ride from his buddies, and he didn't walk there from the bars. He drove there. I'm sure there's security tape of the parking lot, so if he was dropped off, or walked, it'll come out. But it would be so highly unlikely that the odds aren't even worth talking about.

Even if he got dropped off, it's a DUI. Stupid law since he wasn't driving, but that's how it works in Nebraska. Even if he's sitting in the passenger seat with the car on and he's drunk, it's a DUI. If you are above .08 BAC and are in a car within reach of starting the car (or if it's already started), it's a DUI.

Any officer who hands out a DUI for getting a ride home with a sober driver does not deserve to have that badge. I would think if the officer is a decent person and is not on a power trip, he would thank the person for not driving drunk and the driver for remaining sober.

How many of you have honestly never drove after having a drink...or a few? My guess is most of you guys criticizing Caputo for doing this have done it yourselves. The guy is in college. College kids make mistakes all the time. I can't judge the guy when I have done the same thing before.

I've never driven after being anywhere close to the legal limit. I've certainly made mistakes before, but driving drunk is different. You're putting other people in danger, not just yourself. Not cool.

So your telling me..

1. You don't drink, or only have like one..maybe two 12 oz. beers when you go out. Nothing wrong with that. My parents don't drink at all.

2. Spend a lot of money on cabs when you were in college...now...or both.

3. Have the BEST friends ever to drive you around and not have a drink themselves.

4. Love to walk long distances and maybe even love jogging...or yogging (if your Ron Burgundy) at the wee hours of the night.

Just curious as to which it is.

It has to be only one?

1. If I'm driving, I don't drink or I drink very little.

3. You don't need the "BEST friends ever" in order to have a designated driver or to just find someone who isn't drunk to drive.

4. I've only pushed the legal limit a couple times - and one of those times I did just walk home.

Anyways, since you're on people for being too "judgemental," I'm not "judging" Caputo as a human being. He's probably a good guy who maybe had a bad night and just made a mistake. But I'll sure as hell judge that mistake - it's a bad, BAD mistake. Not only did he let his teammates down as they're going to have to face the best D-line they've faced all year without their leader, but alcohol impaired drivers are involved in about 1/3 car crash deaths, so he put OTHER PEOPLE in danger by driving under the influence. You just don't do that - I don't care how young you are or how much fun you didn't get to have because you had to drive instead of drink - you don't put other people in danger.

People make mistakes, and I in no way think any less of Caputo after this. Like someone else said above, it's a crappy way to end a career, but I guess that's life.

3. You don't need the "BEST friends ever" in order to have a designated driver or to just find someone who isn't drunk to drive

Im not necessarily talking about right now in your life. Im talking about when you were in HS/College. I assumed you were not, but I could be wrong. Please correct me if Im wrong.

It is pretty hard in college to find a sober friend to drive you home, assuming all your friends drink. If your going to a party, most of time all your friends will want to drink in order to have a good time, meet different people, talk to girls, get laid, etc.

This is not directed towards you Hercules, its just a hypothetical situation. Obviosuly I don't know you or your friends. If you had the luxury of finding sober people at a college or HS party to drive you home, that is awesome. Some are not so lucky to have people sober enough to get them home. So they make poor decisions and drive themselves.

3. You don't need the "BEST friends ever" in order to have a designated driver or to just find someone who isn't drunk to drive

Im not necessarily talking about right now in your life. Im talking about when you were in HS/College. I assumed you were not, but I could be wrong. Please correct me if Im wrong.

It is pretty hard in college to find a sober friend to drive you home, assuming all your friends drink. If your going to a party, most of time all your friends will want to drink in order to have a good time, meet different people, talk to girls, get laid, etc.

This is not directed towards you Hercules, its just a hypothetical situation. Obviosuly I don't know you or your friends. If you had the luxury of finding sober people at a college or HS party to drive you home, that is awesome. Some are not so lucky to have people sober enough to get them home. So they make poor decisions and drive themselves.

I guess I don't understand this. You are setting up a hypothetical where everyone of your friend is out drunk. I don't buy it and as a Senior lineman Caputo could have made a red-shirt or Freshman lineman be his chauffeur for the night. We did to the youngster when I was in college. There was always a couple willing to jump at the chance.

To your hypothetical situation I would question this person if every one they are in contact with is B****** drunk. If this person is on the team what kind of party do you think that would be if the whole team was wasted.

Caputo screwed up should he be criticized, its not for me to say. I know most do not like to hear it but as a HUSKER athlete you are held to a higher standard than most. If you read the article there were 16 other people arrested. If this was an article about 17 people arrested for a DUI and it did not include Caputo, this article probably doesn't even make it to the BS Forum. As an athlete you get all the accolades when you do well. You also get more criticism than most when you make a mistake. I think Bo should sit him. The message would be sent loud and clear to the team. This type of behavior will not be tolerated. Just my opinion.

Po, did you get lit and hold up a liquor store and shoot up the saloon or something? I'm afraid we're building to a catharsis here.

I get where you're coming from, Po. Nobody thinks it's cool to drink and drive. Nobody is saying it is, and I think we all get that you're not saying it is. There's a time in our lives where we all make mistakes.

Weird thing that nobody thinks of, though - unless you do some dangerous thing for a living, or you're in the Armed Forces or you're a bank robber, the single most dangerous thing you will do all year is drive. And that's when you're stone-cold sober. The slightest distraction can mean death for you or someone around you. And 99% of people don't ever think of it that way, I'll bet.