Gamecocks cut 6 scholies for Major Violations

NUance

Newsflash: When you pretend to run a charitable organization, but then filter out the best kids and send them to your alma mater, it's called CHEATING.

You've posted this several times.....SAM has been around for a few years, and have sent a lot of prep prospects for several athletic fields to many top programs across the nation. As far as what I've read or heard, Byrd was the first associated from that organization for football to actually come to USC. While no one can argue that HOW Byrd's process through SAM to USC was not handled properly (it's still very disappointing to me as his father held a high administrative position in the foundation: his family was not a poor family, and Damiere did not NEED financial assistance - proper or otherwise - to help with his recruiting trips, like perhaps Sharif Floyd and others might have needed. It was all very unnecessary, IMO), to say SAM was "filtering" top players and sending them to South Carolina is based on absolutely nothing factual that you have read, heard, or seen.....

The Whitney situation is an embarrassment, IMO. It's something that no one associated with USC can honestly argue away: it is what it is, and we were caught ignorant of it's existence. Our Director of Compliance definitely dropped the balll on this one...the argument here is basically like this: Our Compliance Office compared rates at other housing establishments locally that was housing USC students and student-athletes, and essentially "brokered" a contract with Whitney management to charge similar rates for a certain number of student-athletes. In THAT regard, nothing was improper. The NCAA's position however, is that the rates of other housing had no relevance to this situation, because they viewed the Whitney as not being similar housing to those other facilities.

Then they determined if the Whitney management had agreed to similar low rates to other non-athletic students of USC, or even to other customers who stayed there, and apparently the findings was that no they had not. So in the case of the Whitney alone, the low rates were deemed as preferential and improper benefits, even though they could be found a block or two away at a condominium complex that housed other USC student-athletes, or elsewhere in the vicinity.

The issue of those student-athletes (mainly football players) not keeping their rent payments up on a regular basis went without our compliance office knowing. Hopefully we determine a way to monitor future situations so that such things won't happen again. The issue of our track and field team participating on a lake cruise/party is especially embarrassing as our long-time head coach was also involved, and he has been an accomplished HC in T&F for decades. I have no idea what he was thinking there.....

• Fire 1

The players were "paying" $15 per night. Most of them had huge bills that were unpaid when they left. (2 and 3 months worth)

Untrue.....2 and 3 months of un-paid rent barely got them over $1,000 in back-rent: not what I'd call "huge". TE Wesley Saunders was the biggest one, as he had gone almost a year without paying rent. Again, a situation that most USC fans simply shake their heads over as to how such a thing could be allowed by the Whitney management to occur. In any case, all the players with the exception of Saunders paid their delinquent rent BEFORE they moved out of the Whitney. Saunders was ordered by our Athletic Director to move out of the Whitney and also to immediately pay the back-rent, but he was hesitant to do so. Didn't matter anyways, as he was dismissed from the football program and never played a down of FB for us in 2010....

The players were "paying" $15 per night. Most of them had huge bills that were unpaid when they left. (2 and 3 months worth)

Untrue.....2 and 3 months of un-paid rent barely got them over $1,000 in back-rent: not what I'd call "huge". TE Wesley Saunders was the biggest one, as he had gone almost a year without paying rent. Again, a situation that most USC fans simply shake their heads over as to how such a thing could be allowed by the Whitney management to occur. In any case, all the players with the exception of Saunders paid their delinquent rent BEFORE they moved out of the Whitney. Saunders was ordered by our Athletic Director to move out of the Whitney and also to immediately pay the back-rent, but he was hesitant to do so. Didn't matter anyways, as he was dismissed from the football program and never played a down of FB for us in 2010....

Over $1,000 at $15 per night is pretty big. And sure, blame it on the Whitney Hotel.

Newsflash: When you pretend to run a charitable organization, but then filter out the best kids and send them to your alma mater, it's called CHEATING.

You've posted this several times.....SAM has been around for a few years, and have sent a lot of prep prospects for several athletic fields to many top programs across the nation. As far as what I've read or heard, Byrd was the first associated from that organization for football to actually come to USC. While no one can argue that HOW Byrd's process through SAM to USC was not handled properly (it's still very disappointing to me as his father held a high administrative position in the foundation: his family was not a poor family, and Damiere did not NEED financial assistance - proper or otherwise - to help with his recruiting trips, like perhaps Sharif Floyd and others might have needed. It was all very unnecessary, IMO), to say SAM was "filtering" top players and sending them to South Carolina is based on absolutely nothing factual that you have read, heard, or seen.....

Here you go:

The second violation the NCAA found involves the Student Athlete Mentoring Foundation and its president, Steve Gordon, and treasurer, Kevin Lahn. Lahn and Gordon provided $8,000 worth of recruiting inducements and extra benefits to prospective football athletes, one prospective basketball athlete and 16 members of the men’s and women’s track and field teams. Lahn and Gordon are USC graduates and have been disassociated by the university.

. . .

The NCAA believes Lahn introduced Byrd, an elite high school sprinter, to USC track coach Curtis Frye, financed four unofficial visits for Byrd and his father, Adrian (the vice president of the SAM Foundation) to South Carolina from their home in New Jersey, provided Byrd and his parents two gifts cards valued at $170 and food and entertainment at Lahn’s home at least five times.

. . .

The SAM Foundation brought 49 football players to South Carolina’s campus for a 7-on-7 tournament in June of 2010, Gordon said. As part of that trip, Lahn paid for a dinner boat cruise on Lake Murray at a cost of $3,350, the NCAA determined.

LINK

The quotes above are from gogamecocks. So we can't be sure how factual they are. But is sure sounds like these two alumni--the president and the treasurer of SAM--were filtering out the best athletes and sending them to their alma mater. And that's called CHEATING.

Here you go:

The second violation the NCAA found involves the Student Athlete Mentoring Foundation and its president, Steve Gordon, and treasurer, Kevin Lahn. Lahn and Gordon provided $8,000 worth of recruiting inducements and extra benefits to prospective football athletes, one prospective basketball athlete and 16 members of the men’s and women’s track and field teams. Lahn and Gordon are USC graduates and have been disassociated by the university.

. . .

The NCAA believes Lahn introduced Byrd, an elite high school sprinter, to USC track coach Curtis Frye, financed four unofficial visits for Byrd and his father, Adrian (the vice president of the SAM Foundation) to South Carolina from their home in New Jersey, provided Byrd and his parents two gifts cards valued at $170 and food and entertainment at Lahn’s home at least five times.

. . .

The SAM Foundation brought 49 football players to South Carolina’s campus for a 7-on-7 tournament in June of 2010, Gordon said. As part of that trip, Lahn paid for a dinner boat cruise on Lake Murray at a cost of $3,350, the NCAA determined.

LINK

The quotes above are from gogamecocks. So we can't be sure how factual they are. But is sure sounds like these two alumni--the president and the treasurer of SAM--were filtering out the best athletes and sending them to their alma mater. And that's called CHEATING.

Oh please, get off your holier than thou corn husk your on and note that NU itself was caught CHEATING earlier this year too. And you guys "excuse" it by saying because its text books and "nerdy" than its ok? Alabama got in trouble for a similar thing a couple of years ago. They even had some wins vacated because of it, more or less that was because of their reputation.

As for you Clempson Tigger look in a mirror. As recently as July of this year Clempson reported 12 of its own violations. A lot were minor, BS NCAA stuff, but a lot of sounds about the same level as the Whitney thing.

Among the violations was one that occurred in March when a Clemson coach overheard players discussing their spring break trip to Miami and visiting former teammates training there. The athletic department's compliance department later found out that two athletes stayed in a hotel room paid for by the former teammate's agent at a cost of $379 plus tax per night.

http://www.wltx.com/...dary-Violations

And lets not forget Clemmons "National Title" team that had over 150 violations against it.

Oh please, get off your holier than thou corn husk your on and note that NU itself was caught CHEATING earlier this year too. And you guys "excuse" it by saying because its text books and "nerdy" than its ok? Alabama got in trouble for a similar thing a couple of years ago. They even had some wins vacated because of it, more or less that was because of their reputation.

I don't think it was just NU fans excusing it because it was a nerdy violation. It was pretty much a joke in the whole national sports media. You understand what the violation was about, right? We gave athletes not just the textbooks required for their courses, but--Heaven forbid--also the textbooks on the professors' suggested reading lists. THE SUGGESTED READING LIST! Truly a college football outrage. Of, dare I say, SEC proportions! Here's a snippet from a Rivals article about it:

According to NCAA rules, providing textbooks beyond the required reading is not permissible. Nebraska athletes also were receiving "recommended" textbooks for their various classes.

It is mildly amusing that the NCAA, with its commitment to academic excellence and all, is discouraging schools from helping student athletes learn more.

Nebraska discovered the violation on its own and as a preventative measure, self-imposed a two-year probation and fined itself $28,000.

LINK

You can't seriously compare NU-Texbookgate with the MAJOR NCAA VIOLATIONS that your cheating fat-wallet boosters are accused of. Can you? Seriously??

As an Ohio State fan I'm just glad that in the interest of equal coverage ESPN will be dedicating several hours of programming each day over the next year to making sure that justice is served, Spurrier is fired & the Gamecocks receive the death penalty.

Why are you all laughing?

Over $1,000 at $15 per night is pretty big. And sure, blame it on the Whitney Hotel.

Not that big when the monthly rent is already around $500...the back-rent was only twice that. Not huge IMO...

And you apparently didn't see where I started that sentence with "Again.....". That means that was repeating a point I already previously made. The original point I made stated that South Carolina's compliance office definitely dropped the ball on the back-rent. So I guess you made a mistake here?? The agreement to allow the players to forgo the payments until a later time - thus creating the delinquencies - was between the players and Whitney management, and totally unknown by USC. The fact that it happened, and was allowed to happen un-monitored by compliance, was obviously a huge mistake. But the Whitney management obviously has never done anything like that with their other customers/tenants, so for them to choose to do so with college kids - and the obvious ramifications that resulted - is also a poor mark on their part as well.....

I think I can sum up what NUance is trying to get at by taking they key words from all of his posts on this thread.

"Cheating cheat CHEATING. cheated cheating: fat-wallet boosters CHEATING cheating fat-wallet boosters"

Ha ha! Do you work for Cliff's Notes by chance?? You should.

As an Ohio State fan I'm just glad that in the interest of equal coverage ESPN will be dedicating several hours of programming each day over the next year to making sure that justice is served, Spurrier is fired & the Gamecocks receive the death penalty.

Why are you all laughing?

Because, in clothing terms, the visor is the new sweatervest. :lol:

I don't think it was just NU fans excusing it because it was a nerdy violation. It was pretty much a joke in the whole national sports media. You understand what the violation was about, right? We gave athletes not just the textbooks required for their courses, but--Heaven forbid--also the textbooks on the professors' suggested reading lists. THE SUGGESTED READING LIST! Truly a college football outrage. Of, dare I say, SEC proportions! Here's a snippet from a Rivals article about it:

According to NCAA rules, providing textbooks beyond the required reading is not permissible. Nebraska athletes also were receiving "recommended" textbooks for their various classes.

It is mildly amusing that the NCAA, with its commitment to academic excellence and all, is discouraging schools from helping student athletes learn more.

Nebraska discovered the violation on its own and as a preventative measure, self-imposed a two-year probation and fined itself $28,000.

LINK

You can't seriously compare NU-Texbookgate with the MAJOR NCAA VIOLATIONS that your cheating fat-wallet boosters are accused of. Can you? Seriously??

I'm sorry, so was Nebraska CHEATING or not?

I'm sorry, so was Nebraska CHEATING or not?

Well, there are different degrees of ncaa infractions. It’s not a digital function—ON or OFF. “1” or “0”. You could say there’s “cheating”, “Cheating” and then “CHEATING”. NU’s textbook deal was minor. But sure. I guess you could characterize it as “cheating.” South Carolina, not so minor. In fact, multiple Major NCAA Infractions. By a repeat offender. Which is CHEATING. By big, fat-walleted booster CHEATERS.

• Fire 1