Gamecocks cut 6 scholies for Major Violations

NUance

The players were "paying" $15 per night. Most of them had huge bills that were unpaid when they left. (2 and 3 months worth)

Untrue.....2 and 3 months of un-paid rent barely got them over $1,000 in back-rent: not what I'd call "huge". TE Wesley Saunders was the biggest one, as he had gone almost a year without paying rent. Again, a situation that most USC fans simply shake their heads over as to how such a thing could be allowed by the Whitney management to occur. In any case, all the players with the exception of Saunders paid their delinquent rent BEFORE they moved out of the Whitney. Saunders was ordered by our Athletic Director to move out of the Whitney and also to immediately pay the back-rent, but he was hesitant to do so. Didn't matter anyways, as he was dismissed from the football program and never played a down of FB for us in 2010....

Over $1,000 at $15 per night is pretty big. And sure, blame it on the Whitney Hotel.

Not that big when the monthly rent is already around $500...the back-rent was only twice that. Not huge IMO...

And you apparently didn't see where I started that sentence with "Again.....". That means that was repeating a point I already previously made. The original point I made stated that South Carolina's compliance office definitely dropped the ball on the back-rent. So I guess you made a mistake here?? The agreement to allow the players to forgo the payments until a later time - thus creating the delinquencies - was between the players and Whitney management, and totally unknown by USC. The fact that it happened, and was allowed to happen un-monitored by compliance, was obviously a huge mistake. But the Whitney management obviously has never done anything like that with their other customers/tenants, so for them to choose to do so with college kids - and the obvious ramifications that resulted - is also a poor mark on their part as well.....

That agreement, whether known or unknown by USC still equals improper benefits from a booster (the GM of the Whitney) to the athletes.

Like most scandals related to collegiate athletics I don't understand what is expected to be gained from this kind of conversation, other than some sort of tawdry misplaced moral victory for a team's rivals. Granted, its fun and I myself have engaged in it, but its still not all that productive.

Just about every school has played host to some kind of violation or impropriety, even NU. What can we, as fans, really say? We didn't cause it. It sucks and we're unhappy and disappointed. Do I apologize? No, I had nothing to do with it. Does it mean I have to like my team less? Hell no. Oh and does it somehow mean NU is better than USC? Also no.

THIS is what you're saying:

The Whitney Hotel thing wasn't really the athletes fault, they were given the OK by the compliance officer, b/c she saw that they would be spending the same amount of money if they were living in an apartment. She's since been demoted.

The SAM thing, I have a big problem with. SAM is an organization who reaches out to poor inner city youth athletes and tries to help them get to college. Its design and intentions are noble, and we weren't the only school who had students come from SAM visits (Shariff Floyd used SAM and went to UF). Since when did helping the less fortunate become a punishable offense?!?! Yeah, I have a problem with that.

THIS is what I'm hearing:

blah blah blah / excuse / excuse / rationalization / blah blah blah

Yeah, but you left out where I said blah ba-blah-blah-bl-bl-blah, yackety shmackety. Our program broke the rules, the athletes weren't really at fault, they were failed by the compliance office. You know these kind of mistakes happen everywhere, even in Lincoln, as recent as this year.

http://content.usato...ion-textbooks/1

What's important is that the people guilty understand their faults, are punished, and find ways to stop the mistakes from happening again.

whin297l.jpg

Really? We gave our players extra books. :ahhhhhhhh

This is an argument against the accusations that I thought made alot of sense. I'm sure that NUisance will just read "blah blah blah" (if he even bothers to read it before running his mouth).

I can't speak for Holtz or what occured during his tenure. I followed USC football back then, but not to the extent that I do now. But after reading the allegations set forth, and the subsequent responses given by our administrators, my view on 80% of this is pure hogwash.

<snip/ blah blah blah /snip>

. . . houses all athletes in one big place to keep an eye on them. Problem solved.

Oh come on now. I’m not about to wade through this rambling diatribe by that Gamecocks apologist poster named Res Judicocka on Rivals. This is his work, right? Nobody there pays any attention to him. Why should I?

That's not who wrote it. I found this breakdown of what happened and I felt like it provided a legitimate question as to the validity of some of the alleged violations. But, the NCAA makes the rules and we must pay the price.

Meh, The 1st charge didn't even help us again any on-field advantage. Was kids already playing for us getting some discount at a hotel. Didn't help recruiting or anything. So its like we cheated during a season that we went 7-6 in apparently.

So *that* is your excuse? That it's okay to cheat so long as you are incompetent at it and it doesn't produce any advantage.

Either way, I'm hoping compared to what benefits and crap that have been shown at OSU and UNC and with the NCAA with its hands full they'll just accept these self-imposed penalties and move on.

Translation: Since some other school cheated even worse let's hope the ncaa bureaucrats are so busy they'll just let the Gamecocks slide by. Nice logic.

I love how after you say this, you continually defend Nebraska for giving out textbooks for free and blast Gamecock fans because we had worse violations.. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Meh, The 1st charge didn't even help us again any on-field advantage. Was kids already playing for us getting some discount at a hotel. Didn't help recruiting or anything. So its like we cheated during a season that we went 7-6 in apparently.

So *that* is your excuse? That it's okay to cheat so long as you are incompetent at it and it doesn't produce any advantage.

Either way, I'm hoping compared to what benefits and crap that have been shown at OSU and UNC and with the NCAA with its hands full they'll just accept these self-imposed penalties and move on.

Translation: Since some other school cheated even worse let's hope the ncaa bureaucrats are so busy they'll just let the Gamecocks slide by. Nice logic.

I love how after you say this, you continually defend Nebraska for giving out textbooks for free and blast Gamecock fans because we had worse violations.. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

well lets hope you can get that 5th bowl win.

I love how you Gamecocks continue to defend your fat-wallet boosters and crooked school. And even if they did the things they’re accused of, you Gamecocks rationalize it by saying: 1) well, other schools had minor violations too; and 2) maybe the ncaa bureaucrats are so busy they'll just let the Gamecocks slide by.

well lets hope you can get that 5th bowl win.

You're the team playing a lowly 5 bowl win program. That's sad. We don't even deserve to be on the field with NU, much less be favored....

I know right, we should just stop being fans, our school sucks and we're all horrible people for rooting for them.