We are What We Are

This is a team with a weak O-line, an average QB, decent RB's but nothing special.

This team Lacks depth at the WR position and no serious gamebreaker...there is very little speed at WR.

The Defense is above average, although the injuries at LB have really hurt this team in the Missouri, Texas Tech and OU games...IMO, had we had Octavien in those games, we would have won atleast 1 of them if not 2. The D-line seems to be the best unit on the team, it is why we have won five games.

The special teams have been as good as anybody could have expected and I see improvement every game.

The Huskers were allowed to degrade thru neglect, we are not the same team as we were a few years back, the stadium is there , the weightrooms, the offices, coaches and staff are all there.The trappings of a national power are there as well, the trophy is full, heisman winners come home on saturdays in the fall, the expectations are always there, and until Saturday reality was absent. Sure we saw the tough losses from last year, the streaks coming to an end. We said a break here or there , a different Qb, a new scheme was all that was needed. I hope after Saturday, that you guys see this team for what it is, a young team that has about half the tools it needs to compete at the level the fan expect.

Why are we here now?

The program finds itself in this position because of several key factors, most of which can be laid at the feet of Tom Osbourn and Bill Byrne. Tom got a little big for his britches at the end of his great run, who can blame him?...Bill always seemed to want to make Tom respect his position and never felt like he was in control.

Tom won in the end and he gave us a poor transiton from his staff to what we have today....Solich was never really the head coach, he never put together his own staff, he had to contend with T. O.'s holdovers and that doomed him in the end.

Solich was a decent man who gave a large part of his life to the Huskers, and in return the people of Nebraska, the fans and Boosters made him and his family wealthy...seems fair to me, but in the end Frank was not a recruiter and his inabilty to hire his own staff killed any shot at long term success, when T. O.'s players were gone so was the winning.

The program's lack of talent can be traced directly back to Solich and Osbourn, there is no need to blame Pederson or Bill Callahn, theyhad nothing to do with the current situation. I know that Pedersen lacks a certain amount of tact, but his heart is in the right place, Bill Callahan probably wanted this job more than we needed him but here we are.

The Program is looking up despite the rough spots that we have encountered, every so-called expert agrees the Huskers are national players in the recruiting wars agin.....we have had the best overall talent recruited in the last two years, that is certainly steps in the right direction.....The class we are build this year seems to hold a promise of feeling the talent gap, we should have the best class in the North for the second straight year.

This is how I see the talent levels in the Big 12

1) Texas

2) OU

3) Texas A & M

4)Missouri

5)Texas Tech

6) Nebraska

8) KSU

9)Colorado

10)Baylor

11)KU

12)ISU

I know the list does not reflect the current standings, and CU is low on the list ,but that is because ther last 2 classes have been horrible, they will take a tumble next year and I don't see them coming back soon.....KSU is up there because the have had good years until last year, KSU's class this year is not goin to be very good and that will hurt them in the long run.....Missouri is the real surprise, they have had classes in the top 30 for 5 straight years, they have better overall talent than any school in the north, if they keep Pinkle and he can coach at all he should turn them into a winner.

Until we get the depth and quality backinto the program, we will not return to the top of the North.....things are goin the right way, a bowl game this year and 8 wins next year would be just what we need.

I say that we are asking alot and we should , but we also have to understand where we are and how we got here......Give BC a break and lets hope we keep getting the good young talent into the program

Look out in 08'

there is no need to blame Pederson or Bill Callahn, theyhad nothing to do with the current situation. I know that Pedersen lacks a certain amount of tact, but his heart is in the right place, Bill Callahan probably wanted this job more than we needed him but here we are.

I agree with most everything you say (to some extent), and you make some great points. :thumbs However, I disagree with the post quoted.

billy c and pud are certainly to blame. pud botched the whole hiring process, and took a grab on an unsuccessful coach. You can get all the talent you want, but it does no good if you don’t develop them and put them in position to win. And what happens when you don’t get the athletes you need?? This staff hasn’t been able to show the ability to develop and gameplan. From bad schemes to bad game plans, to not understanding the traditions of NU, to being too robotic and uncaring, I’m sorry but this entire coaching staff is totally inept. Absolutely atrocious.

The fake FG against OU, the game plans against MU (both O and D), constantly using outside zone running plays when they are getting blown up by more athletic teams, to (very Solich like) calling multiple screen passes on 3rd and long, these guys are just not good Div I level coaches. This team is honestly not getting any better, and is just a couple of plays away from being 2-6 this year.

I wouldn’t expect it to get better any time soon.

:bang

Not a good team at all !!!!

I didn't agree with the whole "firing-hiring" process, but that is old news...

I whole-heartedly was willing to give BC and crew the benefit of the doubt, and realize it takes time.... but this team may actually be worse than last years.... The OL, which was decent last year, is horrible this year !!!!!

WR are not much better.....Taylor offers a little more than Daily, but not much...

Special teams are much better

DB/CB are worse (not good at all)

DL is improved

The whole game planning and consitantly making "dumb" calls during the games pi&&es me off.... (Pass 3 times from 2 yd line, pass on 4-1, call a block FG vs a 40 yder into gusty wind)

I am a patient guy, but I'm beginning to wear thin..... We are not good, and I don't see a change anytime soon !!!

Maybe Lucky, Brooks, Beck, Jackson, and company will change my opinion

there is no need to blame Pederson or Bill Callahn, theyhad nothing to do with the current situation. I know that Pedersen lacks a certain amount of tact, but his heart is in the right place, Bill Callahan probably wanted this job more than we needed him but here we are.

I agree with most everything you say (to some extent), and you make some great points. :thumbs However, I disagree with the post quoted.

billy c and pud are certainly to blame. pud botched the whole hiring process, and took a grab on an unsuccessful coach. You can get all the talent you want, but it does no good if you don’t develop them and put them in position to win. And what happens when you don’t get the athletes you need?? This staff hasn’t been able to show the ability to develop and gameplan. From bad schemes to bad game plans, to not understanding the traditions of NU, to being too robotic and uncaring, I’m sorry but this entire coaching staff is totally inept. Absolutely atrocious.

The fake FG against OU, the game plans against MU (both O and D), constantly using outside zone running plays when they are getting blown up by more athletic teams, to (very Solich like) calling multiple screen passes on 3rd and long, these guys are just not good Div I level coaches. This team is honestly not getting any better, and is just a couple of plays away from being 2-6 this year.

You don't win the AFC Championship without the skills to coach, I think that you are so programmed to seeing the N on the Helmet and think they will win, and when they don't you blame the staff....

I know that if BC wins saturday, we will be bowl bound and that is a huge step for a team that was thrown on the trash heap by Bill Bryne, Tom Osbourne and Frank Solich....they did'nt do it for spite, but they did it just the same.

we are on the way back........but I'm done with anyone who can't see the forrest for the tree.....

We are a 6-5 team maybe 7-4

thats it

Next year I want to be a 7-4 or 8-3 team

and so on and on

Former, you got to admit....If BC gets us to a bowl game after the circus that has gone down over the past 4 years.....he has done a decent job with what he has.

• 1 year later...

You don't win the AFC Championship without the skills to coach, I think that you are so programmed to seeing the N on the Helmet and think they will win, and when they don't you blame the staff....

I know that if BC wins saturday, we will be bowl bound and that is a huge step for a team that was thrown on the trash heap by Bill Bryne, Tom Osbourne and Frank Solich....they did'nt do it for spite, but they did it just the same.

we are on the way back........but I'm done with anyone who can't see the forrest for the tree.....

thats it

and so on and on

Former, you got to admit....If BC gets us to a bowl game after the circus that has gone down over the past 4 years.....he has done a decent job with what he has.

ane we are back here agin....Thanx BC love what you have done too the program

thats it

and so on and on

ane we are back here agin....Thanx BC love what you have done too the program

Wow...thankfully I looked at the date...I was ready to 'comment' on your defense remarks. ;)