What U.S. policy/law are you most proud of?

I was thinking about this on the drive in this morning. For me it's our protection of freedom of speech. I think the U.S. does more to protect the free flow of ideas (good, bad, offensive, bland, etc.) than any other country on earth.

I think that is a wonderful thing.

Thoughts?

Freedom of speech is rather limiting. Supreme Court Justices throughout our history have seen to that. Speicifically the middle of the 20th Century.

Carl, you do ask some thought provoking questions don't you? Free speech is no less laudable for the constraints placed upon it. Private property is the very right upon which most of our freedoms rest. But is not pride born of personal endeavor, or at least a collective one? I guess when I think of what actually brings me pride in my nation, it would be our militarys' phenomenal capacity to endlessly sacrifce to the betterment of a world that often hates us. In the face of ruthlessness, they show mercy, in a time of lawlessness they employ dicipline, surrounded by enemies they extend a hand of friendship, and upon victory, they make whole those they have vanquished. So, I guess our forefathers decision to subjugate our military to civilian authority and thus to temper such great might with greater character is my choice.

I was thinking about this on the drive in this morning. For me it's our protection of freedom of speech. I think the U.S. does more to protect the free flow of ideas (good, bad, offensive, bland, etc.) than any other country on earth.

Thoughts?

Freedom of speech is rather limiting. Supreme Court Justices throughout our history have seen to that. Speicifically the middle of the 20th Century.

Eh? I'm not sure what you are saying. Could you rephrase it?

Carl, you do ask some thought provoking questions don't you? Free speech is no less laudable for the constraints placed upon it. Private property is the very right upon which most of our freedoms rest. But is not pride born of personal endeavor, or at least a collective one? I guess when I think of what actually brings me pride in my nation, it would be our militarys' phenomenal capacity to endlessly sacrifce to the betterment of a world that often hates us. In the face of ruthlessness, they show mercy, in a time of lawlessness they employ dicipline, surrounded by enemies they extend a hand of friendship, and upon victory, they make whole those they have vanquished. So, I guess our forefathers decision to subjugate our military to civilian authority and thus to temper such great might with greater character is my choice.

Good post. Thanks.

Regarding the first bolded section: I probably could come up with a more apt word than pride. Basically, I'm wondering what are some of the better laws/policies/ideas from the U.S.

Regarding the second: I agree. That idea isn't exactly unique but the U.S. has been mostly successful in having the government run the military and not vice versa.

Thoughts?

Last time I checked, placing responsibility and accountability on Free Speech is not a limit--it is a burden factor that one must should consider before speaking freely.

But then again, I've never equated responsibility and accountability with limitation.

Very well crafted response......................bravo...........

Thoughts?

Last time I checked, placing responsibility and accountability on Free Speech is not a limit--it is a burden factor that one must should consider before speaking freely.

But then again, I've never equated responsibility and accountability with limitation.

Exactly. And no other nation on earth has the same protections. Damn near every other country has what amounts to a censorship board. They usually call it a 'ratings board' or something like that, but if the board decides not to rate it, it can't be sold in that country.

Or things like the mess France and Turkey are arguing about now.