I'm sick to my stomach

look at ucla though... karl dorrell is in his third year i think and he was 6-6 last year and i dont believe much better the year b4 that. this year he is doin a great job... imo it takes 3 years to get accustomed to the system, the new coaches, and their teammates. there have been way too many coaching changes throughout the program the past few years which created the whole situation callahan had himself in last year. he is steadily working to keep every1 together and get something goin. if blake and every1 stays next year will be the year that will be an improvement on the scoreboard, not just on the field.

dedhoarse

fooled during spring ball? the whole spring and summer it was "this will be another transition year, but nothing great. we'll make a bowl". so far, they're matching that. predictions ranged from 3-8 to 11-0. the latter being from the "i would never predict a Husker loss" folks. god bless 'em.

The "disapointment" now seems to be more b/c the team isn't matching the expectations raised by the way the team started the season.

Even former Husker players and coaches who have worked with the WCO said it would take more than just a year a few recruits- but that after an early transition, it will work.

so if your 2005 expectations were higher than *transition year #2* since spring, then that's your mistake.

This team is an offensive line (which we haven't had since at least 2002) short of being top 15 IMO.

which brings up a scary thought, can you imagine the 1995 team with this Oline? :smokin I can't help but look at Green Bay this year. Great QB, Great RB and depth (before injuries), Good WRs. but NO Offensive Line.

Look at all of the programs that have recently regained national recognition.

Penn State, OU, USC, and Notre Dame to name a few. All of these programs were no where near contention with Nebraska in the mid to late 90's.

But they are back now.

Evolution says Nebraska will rise again.

94 penn st. ????????? how could you forget them???????? :wtf

Now the shoe it on the other foot. Did you actually think Nebraska could be great forever without going through some sort of decline?

kinda why IMO it was extreme to can FS, but here we are........

indianahusker Posted on Oct 31 2005, 02:08 PM

I get so sick and tired of this "good fan, bad fan" crap. Just because someone is upset their team lost doesn't mean they are a bad fan. Saying someone is a bad fan because they are upset about how their team is performing is like saying someone is a bad fan because they are a "Sunshine Pumper" and they aren't looking at things realistically. Neither are bad fans, they just have different perspective.

We are all Nebraska fans. The bad fans are the ones who threw stuff on the field Saturday or the ones who booed the young men out there giving it their all.

But being upset with how a team is performing has nothing to do with being a "true fan". It has everything to do with passion. People are allowed their opinions, regardless of what you think of them. Many people agree with you. Others don't. That's life. But don't attack them for their opinion. They aren't "bad fans".

Personally, I hate losing. I am spoiled, because NU has never lost during my life until recently.

I think the problems lie with both the coaches and players, and I have problems being patient. I am willing to give BC another year. I just wanna win now! However, life doesn't necessarily work that way.

I just find it distressing that people are labeled "bad fans" because of their opinions. 

almost took the words out of my mouth, but alot more civilized.

as far as this season goes, if we finish above .500, it will be progress, all i was asking for at the start of the season, progress. as far as BC getting the axe, IMO that would be a bad idea, i think change would just make things worse. let BC dig his own grave if he cant cut it, but firing him would just make another national headline which is the last thing the program needs right now. im not a big BC fan, but IMO another coach getting fired would cause more major issues, let him finish his time and then move on if needed.

I believe the question is how long it will take us to get back on top? And will it be with Callahan or will he be our Tyrone Willingham? Going from 5-6 to 7-4 or 6-5(I think we will lose to K State) in regular season is hardly an improvement. What is the difference of running the option and the WCO when either way you lose 41-24 to Mizzou? Pete Carroll took 7-5 USC to 10-2, and then won back to back national titles in just 4 years. We haven't had the second year results that USC had during Pete's second year. I think if Callahan is our Willingham, we go back to power-running again. This time with a good recruiting coach. I think Barry Switzer made a good point the other day at the OU game. Power running works, there are just no disciples of it anymore.

I don't think BC is our Tyrone Willingham. I've always looked at him as a boom or a bust because let's face it he'll get canned if he's anything in between. If he's a bust, obviously he loses his job. If he's a boom, I think he leaves NU back to the pros after year 5. I do think he miscalculated how long it would take college players to adapt to his scheme and play the type of ball he wants them playing. I don't think in a million years he believed it would be this tough coaching in the college ranks.

I agree with the power running attack for a couple of reasons. Lincoln Nebraska is not the easiest place in the world to recruit 5 star talent. Let's face it, there is a lot of things incoming recruits want that Lincoln just doesn't offer. When we change our offense to what everyone else is trying to run, it makes recruiting that much tougher. When we're eyeing the same players Texas, USC, all of the Florida schools, etc. are recruiting; chances are better than average we don't get them. We did last year, but I believe this was because they knew we were down and would get to play immediately. Not a lot of teams still run the option and power running game. Therefore, the competition to land these athletes is not as great. There are still TF's out there, and they won't have a lot of the schools running a passing offense beating down their door.

At the beginning of the season, all I asked for was improvement. Defensively, it appeared as though we were making huge progress. However, I'm beginning to think it was more the level of competition we were playing. OU's offense is not great by any stretch of the imagination, but we gave up a ton of yards to an offense led by a freshman in Memorial Stadium. The offense is not improving. The OL play seems to be going backwards. On offense, with a poor OL it's very difficult to assess whether or not we're improving in other places because it all starts up front. If you can't block anyone, you're not going to have much success at passing or running the ball. I don't know what the stats are, but I'm guessing when you give up 9 sacks in a game there is a 90+ percent chance you lose the game. We will have no improvement on offense until the OL play steps up.

For the first time this season, I have nothing to say.  I don't even know where to start.  I can't even talk about how disappointing this season has been.  The state of football in Lincoln is at an all-time low.  To think we are worried about KU.  Folks it is very possible we could lose the remaining games on our schedule, which totally throws out any talk of progress.  As I read some of the threads on this site, people are finally seeing what I have seen all year long...this is not a good team.  We put ourselves in impossible situations, and then cheer the fact that we made it close after falling behind 21 pts.  Earlier it was discussed that we could have gone to the Big 12 title game...I'm glad we won't go, Texas would kill us.  Husker Nation, we need to be realistic 5-6 is very possible.  Keep in mind something I said last week...we have no leaders to step up and say...DAMN IT THIS IS NEBRASKA.  This team does not make statements, it hasn't all year, why should we think they would start now.  If they weren't concerned about saving a simple thing like a "winning season" streak and a "bowl streak" what makes you think they will get up for a tough road game in Boulder.  We the fans understand the season is hanging in the balence (we do don't we) but do the players.  For once, I wish they would get off their @&& and play 60 minutes of Husker Football.  I understand there aren't a lot of Wagner fans, but I was at Wayne State when he coached there, he is a passionate coach that gets in his players faces...it's time for the coaches to scream, throw medicine tables, grab some face masks.  Husker Nation, our AD, whom some of you like (which I don't understand) said he would not let this program fall into mediocrity, well there is a knock at the door, and as I look out the peep hole...Mr. Mediocrity is there.  And since some of you want to look ahead to the future.  Next year should be fun with both Texas and USC on the schedule.  I know there are some who will disagree (which I don't understand) but I want Coach C gone.  The progress this team has made has been so small, that it would take 5-7 years to put us back on the map.  At this rate I would take Joe Pa...he's old, and nearly took the program he built up down with him, but they are competitive this year.  We are the laughing stock of college football...the tradition is gone, and it simply makes me sick to my stomach

This post hits it right on as far as I'm concerned. Pay attention to the things you get excited about and ask yourself if it ever happened that way before the coaching change. It doesn't matter much, though. Callahan will get his 4-5 years, we will continue the downward spiral, and after he's let go at the end of his contract, the damage will be so severe it will take 10 years or more to resurrect the Huskers. I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

You guys had better watch what you say, haters. :sarcasm

NU will be playing for a National Championship next year, thanks pud :thumbs

The sky is falling, the sky is falling, oh my god the sky is falling!!!!!!!!

I guess we could just except it and not care. Ignoring the problem ALWAYS makes it go away. :wacko:

Or accept.

The problem with you and me is that we disagree on the problem. Thus we can never agree on a solution.

But, sorry, I was or am never one to go overboard with sensationalism. (Thus my, "The sky is falling" post.) Sorry, I forgot the beloved "Insert sarcasm here" smiley.

sarcasm noted Dave.

for the panic ridden:

:wtf I dunno folks. I am certainly not a "homer". I certainly don't want to repeat all the game breakdowns posted on these boards. dedhoarse

BUT...

just the 3 losses then:

TT- one of the most proliffic offenses in America BARELY gets out of Lincoln with a win.

MU- BS (tied with Leinart at the time in TDs) has a RECORD day to beat NU at home.

OU- with their HEISMAN Runner-up, gets the win with an interception-run back as the margin of victory.

This team is not that bad. Winning out is possible. Going to a bowl game is certain. IMPROVING OVER LAST YEAR IS ALREADY DONE.

JMO... I could be wrong. :bounce

sarcasm noted Dave.

for the panic ridden:

:wtf I dunno folks. I am certainly not a "homer". I certainly don't want to repeat all the game breakdowns posted on these boards. dedhoarse

BUT...

just the 3 losses then:

TT- one of the most proliffic offenses in America BARELY gets out of Lincoln with a win.

MU- BS (tied with Leinart at the time in TDs) has a RECORD day to beat NU at home.

OU- with their HEISMAN Runner-up, gets the win with an interception-run back as the margin of victory.

This team is not that bad. Winning out is possible. Going to a bowl game is certain. IMPROVING OVER LAST YEAR IS ALREADY DONE.

JMO... I could be wrong. :bounce

:yeah

Very well put.

clone i agree... imo we have done much much better than last year, and i am happy with that so far

Total offense

2004 362 ypg 69th in nation

2005 320 ypg 96th in nation

Granted it has been a little easier on the eyes as Taylor is definitely more comfortable with the offense than JD, but the results aren't any better. We have a couple more wins at this point, but that's largely due to

Total defense

2004 372 ypg 56th in nation

2005 325 ypg 25th in nation

which hasn't played well over the past couple of weeks. Used to be in the top 10.