Cotton must Go!!!!

I've wanted Cotton'sarse out of here since late 2010, this is getting ridiculous. Bo has to be blind :facepalm:

He already wasted a scholly on his son Sam Cotton who i don't think looks that promising in D1 football

I'd argue that 3 scholly's have been wasted on Cotton boys, but for some reason people will disagree and say that we would have offered them if Barney wasn't a coach. :facepalm:

You're really going to argue that Ben Cotton was a waste of a scholarship? One of the most consistent blockers on the line not to mention the best blocking TE we have and also fairly reliable in the passing game. :facepalm:

OK, assuming we couldn't find another TE who can block and make a catch every now and again I'll give you Ben Cotton as not a complete waste of a scholly, but I won't be convinced that the other two would even have got a sniff of a scholly if it wasn't for Barney. All three should have been walk-ons and if they decided to go elsewhere they wouldn't be missed.

No way Ben would be a walk-on. LOU commit when we brought on Barney.

Has been a hell of a TE, and Jake is on the 2-deep at guard already.

That Jake was on the 2 deep at guard is more of an indictment of how far our recruiting and offensive line talent has fallen than a shout out for how well Jake Cotton is. Remember - this is the same offensive line where we have had no real back up plan at center for the last two years!

That Jake was on the 2 deep at guard is more of an indictment of how far our recruiting and offensive line talent has fallen than a shout out for how well Jake Cotton is. Remember - this is the same offensive line where we have had no real back up plan at center for the last two years!

Couldn't agree more.

I agree with many thoughts posted in here. I think I've been one of the more opinionated posters on this matter for a long, long time. I'm just not convinced by Cotton.

One of the oldest, most experienced guys we have, committed costly penalties (Yoshi). Everybody has bad games, but he has had quite a few bad stretches this year to go with the good ones. Ever since Cotton has been offensive line coach, we have had - at best - an average line. There have been above average performances, mixed in with below average performances to go right along with their average days. One thing is for certain - they're consistent at being inconsistent.

I said earlier in the season that I was going to give Cotton at the most two more seasons, because after that the issues would be inexcusable. Because, two years from now, we should have at least four linemen who will have been two year starters or significant contributors by that point. Guys like ARod will be four year contributors. By that point, not putting out above average-to-great performances would be completely inexcusable.

After today, though, his time limit shrunk for me. Game after game, week after to week, bad offensive line play is prevalent. There are teams out there with similarly experienced lines putting together way better seasons, and quite frankly we have no reason to not be on that level.

Couldn't agree more.

The staff seems unwilling to play backups at many key positions. Center and QB really standout as positions lacking player development. This will bite us next year at center and then the year after at QB. Oh well. The staff really doesn't seem to care. Maybe they know something we don't. :confucius

I've been a long time Cotton hater. However after reflection, I don't think it will do any good to remove him of his position. We already tried that. Gilmore was removed, and our WR dropped just as many balls.

We also had a very young wide receiver corp. Kinnie was a disappointment this year, but guys like Bell, Turner and Enunwa have at least two more years together, and Bell/Turner will be here for at least three more.

I've been a long time Cotton hater. However after reflection, I don't think it will do any good to remove him of his position. We already tried that. Gilmore was removed, and our WR dropped just as many balls.

I think our WR play was much better this year. Yes we dropped passes, but overall the players are better this year at WR. Quincy and Bell have shown some flashes I haven't seen for a long time and they are still young in the system.

O'line has been more or less a train wreck for a decade now. Coaching is definetely a contributing factor here. Bringing in Garrsion has helped, but Cotton is still the weak link.

thjehRWAITHEHTAWHTR8HT38WYEY7RW437 R23

That's because my damn browser decided to refresh and delete my post three times as it was under construction.

Some people don't get that coaches have a harder time subbing in certain positions than others. Among them: QB, C, S.

Bo must not trust the dropoff from Caputo to backup center... let alone Taylor to Brion. Brion is largely an unknown commodity at this point, and with such limited PT all he's given the coaches to judge him on is his practicing. In the little time he has gotten in to play, drives have stalled and we've had to punt. Bo leaves Taylor out there even in games where we're up 2 or 3 possessions to keep the chains moving, which frustratingly enough, seems to stop happening in the second half if we're up regardless of who's in. This is frustrating to me, and Beck will need to learn to keep his foot on the gas pedal to keep adding to the scoreboard, and when he does I think we'll finally learn how to put games out of reach.

To be fair, we really have no backup center. Pensick is the closest we've got, but I don't think he is future. Reeves probably is, but that shoulder injury shot down any hopes of PT he could get this year. Quentin Toailoa was working at center when he left the program, so that hurt. Snapping the ball is vital, and Caputo never really had to many issues with that. That is one area of his game that was rock solid that doesn't get much recognition... we almost take that for granted. Hopefully they will get both Pensick and Reeves some good time next year.

This is also likely while PJ Smith and Osborne disappeared (along with other factors), and Cassidy and Stafford manned the safety spots all year. As much as people like to bitch and moan about Cassidy and his coverage busts, CLEARLY Bo did not trust anyone else back there. I'd rather have the occasional bust with Cassidy than an inexperienced safety out there who allows our whole secondary to fall apart (I guess :steam ).

As the title says it, I truely Believe he must go, Our Oline has been pitiful since he has been coaching it. Each game u can expect False start,s getting blown off the line of scrimmage, holding, and the inabilitie to sustain block's and provide protection or pickup blitzes. I Realise there are other player's and people to blame for the poor performance but even when cotton was the o corrdinator we were pitiful. U get an Oline that can actualy provide portectiona nd maybe Just maybe the qb play will come around. Also we need recievers that can catch the freaking ball!! when u get two hands on a pass and drop it that is inexcuseable No reason what so ever for it.

Our line play is about on par with your grammar sir. Before you go on the offensive to criticize something, please do it in an intelligent manner... Holy s$%&...

We also had a very young wide receiver corp. Kinnie was a disappointment this year, but guys like Bell, Turner and Enunwa have at least two more years together, and Bell/Turner will be here for at least three more.

Last year Paul was a disappointment while Kinnie was a bright spot. Catching a football is one of the most basic fundamentals of football there is. Most of these guys from linemen on down have more than likely been playing catch since they were three or four years old. Catching a football is about concentration. The same can be said about blocking. The OL played just fine the first half. They stunk up the place the second half. They lost their focus just like the rest of the team did.

Last year Paul was a disappointment while Kinnie was a bright spot. Catching a football is one of the most basic fundamentals of football there is. Most of these guys from linemen on down have more than likely been playing catch since they were three or four years old. Catching a football is about concentration. The same can be said about blocking. The OL played just fine the first half. They stunk up the place the second half. They lost their focus just like the rest of the team did.

Even the best wide receivers drop footballs, regardless of how fundamental or basic it is. I don't want to sound like I'm excusing poor WR performance, because I'm not. As you said catching a football really is all about concentration, and Kinnie obviously didn't have it this year. I just don't believe it's fair to harp on guys like Bell, Turner, or Enunwa, as some are. They've made great plays this year, and while they're not overtly consistent, they're very young. Furthermore, they're being taught by a brand new wide receivers coach and, although recruited by Pelini, I was always under the impression Watson was the guy mainly looking for offensive talent.

I've said it many times before - we took several steps back by not getting rid of Watson after the first year, which is a debatable issue considering he was pretty successful that first year. We have to suffer the consequences now. Regardless of how long Pelini has been here, his offensive staff was under different direction for the first time in three years. It's no more fair to deeply criticize them than it is a first time head coach.