NTSB wants to ban cell phone use while driving

They came out and suggested states to ban texting and cell phone use - including hands fee, except for emergencies. They claim the risk to public safety is too great, including hands free because any conversation will distract drivers.

I have issues with this - using their reasoning they didn't go far enough.

If any conversation could be distracting how can they with any conscience allow passengers in the car? The hot date, any in laws, little kids all can take your mind off the very dangerous job of driving.

For that matter, why are there AM radios in cars? Anything from Rush Limbaugh to NPR can get your dander up and cause you to pay less attention to the road. FM radio too - that song can bring back memories causing day dreaming or you might try to listen too closely to the lyrics. And don't get me started on looking down to change channels. So all cars should have their radios ripped out.

Another thing that should be ripped out of cars are the drink holders - looking down to pick up or put down a drink, if you drink there is a blind spot where the cup is and what can be more distracting than having hot or cold liquid spilled in your lap?

This is all about focusing on the task at hand, which is driving. Studies have been done to show you cannot focus on one task for more than 20 minutes. Therefore all drivers should be forced to take a fifteen minute break every ten minutes just to be safe. And if you should drive more than fifteen minutes at one time, the car should shut off for 30 minutes to encourage safe driving breaks.

Imagine the total disregard of the NTSB for the public safety by allowing people to get into the death machines called cars in the first place? Ban all driving!

I'm all for it, and I absolutely do not believe that it's a nanny state slippery slope (like seat belts, smoking, the drug regime, etc.) because you are endangering the lives of other people driving like an a-hole with a hand held phone, texting, using the internet, or whatever. Please, review the underlined portion and think about it for awhile. We are way behind Europe and Japan with federal law, and a hodgepodge of state laws for driver education and licensing for that matter too. We treat driving as a right (when it clearly is not), rather than a privilege that must be earned with responsible behavior.

Hands free talking should probably be okay. It's really not any more dangerous than carrying on a conversation with someone else in the car. But texting while driving? Well, that's just stupid. An accident waiting to happen.

Everything would be fine if we back to not letting the women drive ;)

But seriously, some of my friends text and drive and I have to chew their asses all time. If it's something that important, I'm sure the person will call and for that, there are some pretty cheap headset options out there if you think you ABSOLUTELY have to be on the phone while driving.

They came out and suggested states to ban texting and cell phone use - including hands fee, except for emergencies. They claim the risk to public safety is too great, including hands free because any conversation will distract drivers.

I have issues with this - using their reasoning they didn't go far enough.

If any conversation could be distracting how can they with any conscience allow passengers in the car? The hot date, any in laws, little kids all can take your mind off the very dangerous job of driving.

For that matter, why are there AM radios in cars? Anything from Rush Limbaugh to NPR can get your dander up and cause you to pay less attention to the road. FM radio too - that song can bring back memories causing day dreaming or you might try to listen too closely to the lyrics. And don't get me started on looking down to change channels. So all cars should have their radios ripped out.

Another thing that should be ripped out of cars are the drink holders - looking down to pick up or put down a drink, if you drink there is a blind spot where the cup is and what can be more distracting than having hot or cold liquid spilled in your lap?

This is all about focusing on the task at hand, which is driving. Studies have been done to show you cannot focus on one task for more than 20 minutes. Therefore all drivers should be forced to take a fifteen minute break every ten minutes just to be safe. And if you should drive more than fifteen minutes at one time, the car should shut off for 30 minutes to encourage safe driving breaks.

Imagine the total disregard of the NTSB for the public safety by allowing people to get into the death machines called cars in the first place? Ban all driving!

Mercedes Benz fought these for years. They thought just that, drinking (anything water/pop) while driving took your focus off the road.

I'm all for it, and I absolutely do not believe that it's a nanny state slippery slope (like seat belts, smoking, the drug regime, etc.) because you are endangering the lives of other people driving like an a-hole with a hand held phone, texting, using the internet, or whatever. Please, review the underlined portion and think about it for awhile. We are way behind Europe and Japan with federal law, and a hodgepodge of state laws for driver education and licensing for that matter too. We treat driving as a right (when it clearly is not), rather than a privilege that must be earned with responsible behavior.

So did radios, before steering wheel mounted controls, you would need to take your eyes off the road to change channels, or fastforward/rewind etc. I remember the radios in the 90's had tons of small buttons making it even worse...

Once you lose a friend or family member because of cellphone abuse,maybe you will understand.

Yes, and I had a friends dad killed when he was messing with his radio, was looking down while pulling on to some railroad tracks... To bad a train wanted to be there 2 seconds later. The enginner said he (my firneds dad) didnt even see him coming, and I sont remember a huge campain to get radios out of cars. I do remember people saying they ad to make cars more user friendly, and they have with steering wheel mounted controls etc.

I think installing voice activated handfree devices would be a good first step. A flat out ban is an over reaction.... In the end distracted driving is just that. Wether its your GF messing around, your kids screaming in the back, talking on the phone, or God forbid texting, you should reconize when you are not in total control of your car and remove what is causing it, i.e. pulling over and getting your kids to shut up.

Edited by Canttakeitanymore

Everything would be fine if we back to not letting the women drive ;)

And they mystery of why you can't find a girlfriend continues. :laughpound

I tried watching some "chick flicks" while I was on vacation, in hopes of gaining some understanding of women. The only thing I learned is that women are all insane. :lol:

Maybe vigilante law should be legal when you observe someone talking or texting on a cell phone. Take'em out. No judge, jury, cell phone 12 step program; nuthin' :sarcasm

Can the government come up with anything that might resemble a law/regulation that can be enforced/monitored that is fair and without adding billions to the already staggering deficit??? I THINK NOT

Hands free talking should probably be okay. It's really not any more dangerous than carrying on a conversation with someone else in the car. But texting while driving? Well, that's just stupid. An accident waiting to happen.

There's been discussions out here (AZ) about finally doing something about it..I've even heard somewhere suggested that Insurance companies should refuse to pay if your texting or on the phone while in an accident.

What I think makes Phone use much more distracting than playing with your radio dials or having a conversation with a passenger is because of the Mental distraction rather than just the physical one. (Why "hands Free" hasn't helped as much as advertised).

A passenger will most likely wait for an answer from you AFTER you get a safe distance away from the farken icehole that just cut you off without signalling, but someone on the other end of the phone probably won't be aware of what you're up against and will continue to try to get more words in edgewise.

Plus if you're like me, you usually visualize who you're talking to on the phone..sometimes think of them sitting nekid in a beanbag chair eating Cheatos, and your mind tends to wander and not pay attention to the DITWADS you should be marking with a paintball gun.

Plus if you're like me, you usually visualize who you're talking to on the phone..sometimes think of them sitting nekid in a beanbag chair eating Cheatos, and your mind tends to wander and not pay attention to the DITWADS you should be marking with a paintball gun.

I'm never going to talk to my brother on the phone again - ever