Fans Should expect more

What's the famous line used? "I won't let this program gravitate towards mediocrity" I feel that's where we're headed...mediocre coaching staff, mediocre recruiting, mediocre execution on the field, mediocre discipline on the field.

Really? You're going to quote Steve Pederson to support your argument?

That's how crazy people are right now?

FWIW, the quote was in response to the hail mary not being batted down. Bo isn't at fault there, I'm sure he has worked on that with the team, being the defensive guy that he is. It really is a simple thing...don't let the receivers behind you, see the ball, bat it down. And he was right, the guys didn't execute. Nevertheless he probably shouldn't have came out and said that, just to avoid a possible firestorm.

What's the famous line used? "I won't let this program gravitate towards mediocrity" I feel that's where we're headed...mediocre coaching staff, mediocre recruiting, mediocre execution on the field, mediocre discipline on the field.

Just saying we're back to 2003. What was true then is true today.

We've been at 2003 level of play since 2008. Quoting Steve Pederson implies that we should follow his course of action, which took us well below the level of play in 2003 or 2008-2011.

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

You'll find this out when you have kids. Bo's not throwing the team under the bus-he's just telling the truth. You can coach a kid til you're blue in the face but if they don't do what you've coached them to do then what can you do? When you tell your kid, 'Don't touch that hot stove, it will burn you!' and they turn around and touch it, what can you do? So how is it Bo's responsibility to get them to play like he coaches them? He can't go out on the field and hold their hand! My point is this: At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes. No one says anything when these kids do what they were coached to do. Everything is fine then. But when they don't execute it's all the coach's fault. I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Do we have problems? Yep. But can we really blame all of this on the coach?

Wrong... Coaching 101: When you win, heap praise on the players and your assistants, when you lose it's your fault, just how it is. It IS Bo's responsiblty to get them to play how he coaches, we pay him mountains of money to do just that, it is in his job discription, he isnt a parent, he is a coach big difference. Bo is the face of this program, he should not publicly throw his players under the bus, these are kids, not pros.

• Fire 3

Nothing else matters except perception... Once that reputation is gone you have to rebuild it. We are losing ground....this team is nothing more than an average program and nothing more. We don't suck but we're no bueno. This team is at least 5+ years away from playing for a NC and that is a fact jack. Anybody that would disagree I would be open to a gentlemens bet. I don't care what you say or think this is the university of Nebraska...how long can we make excuses for these piss poor performances. If i had to bet 5k on NU vs UCLA matchup? I would take UCLA....no joke!!!!!!

Nothing else matters except perception... Once that reputation is gone you have to rebuild it. We are losing ground....this team is nothing more than an average program and nothing more. We don't suck but we're no bueno. This team is at least 5+ years away from playing for a NC and that is a fact jack. Anybody that would disagree I would be open to a gentlemens bet. I don't care what you say or think this is the university of Nebraska...how long can we make excuses for these piss poor performances. If i had to bet 5k on NU vs UCLA matchup? I would take UCLA....no joke!!!!!!

I'll take that bet.

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

You'll find this out when you have kids. Bo's not throwing the team under the bus-he's just telling the truth. You can coach a kid til you're blue in the face but if they don't do what you've coached them to do then what can you do? When you tell your kid, 'Don't touch that hot stove, it will burn you!' and they turn around and touch it, what can you do? So how is it Bo's responsibility to get them to play like he coaches them? He can't go out on the field and hold their hand! My point is this: At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes. No one says anything when these kids do what they were coached to do. Everything is fine then. But when they don't execute it's all the coach's fault. I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Do we have problems? Yep. But can we really blame all of this on the coach?

To quote a contemporary of Vince Lombardi. He said Vince could take his player and beat yours, then turn around, and take your players and beat his. Simply put, it IS the coaching. It IS the coaches responsibility. Tom Osborne never spoke ill of his players in public. The coach is always the face of the program. The players win and lose the games on the field, but the coaches determine the outcome by how well the players are taught to deal with the different situations that may arise during the game. If they are prepared, they will respond as taught. Plus, it is not valid to compare a 5 year old to an adult. Yes, these players are adults, and so are the coaches. This is big boy football, not pee wee league. Ask Jason Peter, ask Grant Wistrom, ask Tommie Frazier what it means to be well prepared for a game. These players are not well prepared. And, not to mention, we are being out coached when it comes to half time adjustments.

• Fire 2

We've been at 2003 level of play since 2008. Quoting Steve Pederson implies that we should follow his course of action, which took us well below the level of play in 2003 or 2008-2011.

That wasn't because Pederson fired Solich. It was because he hired Callahan.

That wasn't because Pederson fired Solich. It was because he hired Callahan.

Pederson had to hire Callahan because he couldn't get someone good like Urban Meyer to come to Nebraska just after firing a 9-3 coach.

10-7 in the last 17 games it terrible. The fact that people aren’t talking about that and instead or focusing on some quote from a guy who is a horrible quote is baffling. Who cares what he says anymore and it shouldn’t surprise anyone. The fact that NU has lost 7 of its last 17 games and folks are still trying to say we are on the right track is mind boggling. That isn’t moving forward or heading in the right direction. That is the complete opposite and boarder line Billy C-ish.

If you've played competitive sports, then you know that it doesn't matter how true Bo's words were, a coach does not publicly put blame on his players. That is something that is to be done in a private setting. Publicly throwing your team under the bus is how you lose your locker room. And yes, when players consistently do not execute, that burden rests squarely upon the shoulders of the coaches. It is their job (that they are very well payed for) to insure these young men are ready to play week in and week out.

• Fire 2

If you've played competitive sports, then you know that it doesn't matter how true Bo's words were, a coach does not publicly put blame on his players. That is something that is to be done in a private setting. Publicly throwing your team under the bus is how you lose your locker room. And yes, when players consistently do not execute, that burden rests squarely upon the shoulders of the coaches. It is their job (that they are very well payed for) to insure these young men are ready to play week in and week out.

Aggreed, and this isnt the start of the season, this is the end. If players are not executing, then it rests on the Coach, his staff, and their combined ability to teach and train. I expect mis-cues in the first part of the season, but to draw so many stupid penalties in one series, in a bowl game, is not acceptable. Bo needs to figure this crap out and move on....