Callahan says he made no throat-slashing gesture

If you go around saying the "N" word in public, it is possible you could get in trouble with the law.

Not with the law. Actually the law protects free speech (for now anyway). Might get your a$$ kicked though.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that BC should conduct himself in a manner proper to his position, but what he did is in no way deserving of an investigation. I see coachs throwing hat, clipboards, etc on a regular basis. I see them yelling at the refs all of the time. This is no different, unless someone actually thinks he REALLY wanted to slit the throat of the ref. If so, they are retarded.

He did put himself into that arena and he is in the public eye; but doing absoluty nothing that is offensive to anyone is impossible. Football is offensive to some people. If the gesture offended some people, so be it. I bet most people who are now offended, became so after the fact. Supreme Court Judge....football coach, I see the connection. Both are expected to act in a similar fashion
Dude, re-read my post.  I didn't compare a football coach to a Supreme Court Judge...the supreme court has made many decisions on being in "the public eye". 

My point was that someone in the public eye should know better. 

Impossible to not offend?  Probably true, but how many coaches do you know that have called people "f-ing hillbillys" or have made a gesture that looks like a throat slash?  Or anything similar?  I am talking about a coach on the sidelines, btw.  And don't bring up Bobby Knight, he lost his job because of his antics.  That would only support my arguement.  Provide me some links if you can find them.  I think, by the way, Pete Carroll's act should have been as maligned as BC's...but the media loves to pick on NU, and USC is a media darling right now.

First of all, did you call me dude? :cheers Second of all, in no way would I ever bring up Bobby Knight (I am not one of those pinheads). Actually, I was thinking more along the line of coaches like Ditka, Norv Turner, and Bill Cowher just to name a few, that have had there moments of scrutiny for acts of emotion. I know what you meant by the public eye, but the Supreme court is in a another total realm as a coach. But I did get your point.

Even better! That would make me like the gesture even more.
And if you were anything except a comedian, you'd probably get in trouble with your company in the least.  If you are in business for yourself, you have a good chance of losing business.  Why do you think radio stations stopped carrying "shock jocks" like Howard Stern?  He is politically incorrect, and they were losing business.  Plus, the FCC fined Stern for doing what he does.  There is a picture larger than ourselves, and our opinions, here.  We're talking about the general consensus.  Hard to put a finger on, but true nonetheless.  I hate the FCC, but I could see them getting involved here and fining BC for inappropriate stuff on TV.  They are radical enough to do it, too! 

Not a comedian, but my occupation actually requires me to look at the many ways society conducts itself, and I will won't be fired or lose my business. Actually, there has been a constant rise of shock radio over the last 5 years. Stern is simply the face man that the FCC used to send a message. Don't kid yourself, movies, tv, radio, internet, and books are all finding new ways to shock or to push the limits of what is or should be acceptable. FCC could not fire Callahan, they could ban broadcasts of UN football, but not fire him. If that happened he would probably be fired by the university though.

When would he be eligible for parole if convicted? Would the lawyer seek the death penalty?
Not sure what you're getting at here...but a player or coach can be fined for gestures like this one.  Maybe I just don't understand your sense of humor! 

I was being facetious. Simply pointing out that once again we can bring things way too far.

I do understand your point of view.  But as the head coach of a major university, and on television, he should know better, IMHO.  Maybe in your line of work, you can flip people off all the time, make throat slashing gestures, and things like that and get away with it.  You have great job security!  That's terrific!  But most of the rest of us have to live in this stupid "politically correct" world, like it or not...

I actually could...I guess it is a great job. I understand yours as well, but I think it is up to people in the spotlight to push the envelope. I still don;t know what BC's actual intent was (don't care either), but I bet the next set of referees call some holding penalties. If they do, it was worth a fine!

Good points, I think we were arguing about something we agree on!

The only thing about the first ammendment is, the FCC says it only protects profane speech, but does not protect obscene speech, and indecent speech can only be broadcast between 10pm and 6am EST...I think (not sure, though) it is pretty much the same for any speech...I personally think it sucks, because I am a strong first ammendment guy, kinda like I think you probably are!

We had a racist remark here at school, and two students got in a fight over it...the Black student had to fill out paperwork stating the white kid called him the N word...apparently the school is going to try to prosecute.

Keep up the good work, Red...and you are a serious DUDE! :cheers

P.S. I agree about the FCC makes Howard Stern their poster boy...just like they fined CBS for the whole Janet Jackson thing...like they could control what happened! I HATE the FCC!!!!!!!

By the way...I think Usecheck (must be a foreign word for Idiot) should be fired, then stoned. BC shoulda thrown his shoe at him!

Also...I think if the ref's didn't throw a flag, it ain't a penalty. What happens on the field should stay on the field! I say that because I have so-called friends who say Nebraska cheated its way to the 1997 championship...because of the kicked ball. I say if they didn't throw a flag, then it obviously wasn't a penalty! 'Course, my arguement doesn't work when talking about all of the holding calls NU hasn't had called against the other team!!!

I only think it's a good arguement if I can use it to my advantage!!!! ;)

I agree

Nebraska coach should know (or lie) better

Thursday, November 03, 2005

What gesture?

Quick thinker, that Bill Callahan.

But his mom probably didn't believe him if he ever broke a lamp and blamed it on a sibling or claimed the family dog ate the algebra homework. Of course, it's always worth a try.

The Nebraska football coach has been accused of using the offensive throat-slashing gesture toward an official in last Saturday's game against Oklahoma. Nebraska newspapers ran pictures Tuesday of him clearly making the slashing motion across his throat.

First, the 49-year-old coach blatantly denied doing it.

Then, he admitted it but said he meant no malicious intent.

Finally, he fell back on the tired-if-time-tested defense when he said it is all blown out of proportion. In fairness, it probably is, but neither is it irrelevant.

Callahan had other options and could have been so much more creative. He could have rebutted the accusations toward his tasteless body language and said:

1. He was commenting that the Cornhuskers were losing because of poor "execution."

2. He was simply inquiring when HBO was restarting The Sopranos series.

3. He was signaling for his assistant coach to put in their running back who's a slasher.

Assuming the Big 12 doesn't buy Callahan's explanation after asking for a complete report and assuming the second-year Cornhusker coach doesn't have something more extravagant than any of our suggestions, the league should do what it has no other choice but to do.

Suspend Callahan.

Remove him from the field for one game to send the sternest of messages that such over-the-top behavior will not be tolerated.

"I don't think they're going to send me to Alcatraz," Callahan said Tuesday.

A suspension might be considered excessive, but Callahan represents his school and his team with the expectation of a higher standard of behavior.

At best, Callahan's angry gesture toward the official qualifies as juvenile and inappropriate. At worst, it suggests a head coach who has trouble reining in his childish actions.

Callahan, remember, was reprimanded for his ugly outburst against Oklahoma when he referred to rowdy Sooner fans as "hillbillies" and prefaced it with an offensive adjective beforehand. He issued a formal apology after that.

Kansas' Mark Mangino went after the officials in similar angry fashion last year when he lambasted them for questionable calls and even suggested a BCS conspiracy to help Texas. He was publicly reprimanded and fined $5,000 for that incident.

At the least, Callahan should suffer a similar financial hit. But the league would be wise to go a step further.

Alcatraz, no. But one Saturday on his couch doesn't seem too steep a price.

He needs to get his emotions in check. If not, the Callahan era at Nebraska in another year or so could have a slash through it.

kbohls@statesman.com

11/3: Commissioner receives review from NU officials

Big 12 Conference Commissioner Kevin Weiberg on Wednesday received a written review from Nebraska officials regarding the gesture Husker coach Bill Callahan made on the sideline in frustration during Saturday’s loss to Oklahoma.

Weiberg will consider Nebraska’s written review today, said Big 12 assistant commissioner Bob Burda.

In accordance with the league’s sportsmanship policy, Nebraska’s review of the incident may include any measures the school intends to take. The commissioner can accept those actions or adjust them.

Callahan said he and Husker athletic director Steve Pederson discussed NU’s report, saying it’s a private matter. He declined to comment on specifics.

“I addressed everything about Gesture-Gate (on Tuesday),” he said.

A private reprimand of Callahan would not be made public, but other penalties would be announced by either NU or the league office, Burda said.

Television replays show Callahan raising his right arm, his index finger extended, and making a motion from left to right across his throat. Callahan has acknowledged he made a gesture but said it wasn’t a “throat slash.”