High School Basketball Thugs

GSG

Maybe they're using "flagrant" differently than the rule book does but I didn't see any here. Hard fouls, yes. Possibly "Intentional" (difference in the rule book) but probably not flagrant.

#1 was a big swing but I'm not really sure he hit him that hard

#2 isn't any worse than you see in about any game.

#3 looks really bad the first time but when you watch again, he doesn't really even hit the kid and stops his swing (doesn't swing through like he was trying to hurt him)

#4 should definetly been an intentional foul but not flagrant (flagrant meaning disqualification)

#5 would be the closest. Again, I would definitely call it intentional. Since they all seem to be in the same game, I would be getting pretty suspicious by now but by itself, I'm not sure about flagrant. The big thing to me was there wasn't a big swing or push. It looks really bad but he just stuck his arm out and is a much bigger guy.

#6 is again not much different from what you probably see every game

All that being said, I think "thugs" is a pretty apt description. Most of that stuff by itself isn't worthy of throwing a kid out (which is the consequence of a "flagrant" foul) but, if I was the opposing coach, I'd be having a good conversation with the refs. I don't think there's any question they are trying to be really physical - beyond how the game's supposed to be played.

Yeah I wasn't really sold on the "flagrant" tag, but I think the main point was that these all happened in one game and the kid wasn't pulled aside by the refs and given a warning or anything.

The video was on Yahoo and I just thought I'd share it with y'all. The kid says he just wants to be like his favorite player: Andrew Bynum :lol:

Yeah I wasn't really sold on the "flagrant" tag, but I think the main point was that these all happened in one game and the kid wasn't pulled aside by the refs and given a warning or anything.

The video was on Yahoo and I just thought I'd share it with y'all. The kid says he just wants to be like his favorite player: Andrew Bynum :lol:

Did he seriously say this? Bynum is a dirt bag. That foul on JJ Barea last year in the playoffs was the worst Ive ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NmEOCSz5Tc

How else is a fatty like that going to get any playing time? I bet the kid can't even jump up and touch the net. He obviously has no skills so they set him up in the middle of the lane to hack a shaq anyone who dares enter. Reminds me of watching class D basketball. Always have some kid that played guard on the football team that is in there filling space because there are only 4 other kids on the bench and 3 of them are 120 lb freshmen.

It looks like the whole defensive line is out for basketball at that school. #5 to me should be a flagrant foul. The kid made no attempt to move his feet in the lane and reached for the guard's arms not the ball. There is a difference between a hard foul with the body trying to get position and a hard foul trying to take a player down while he is up in the air. Plus the fat kid laughed while he was standing in the lane on the free throw. He knew what he was doing.