Nate Meier... possibility

From what I hear, he would like to be a Husker first and foremost. He was on sideline for a few games and attending a few more. He is hoping for offer now that his act was solid. Rumors from athletes who communicate with him say that he prefers NU over ISU, KS, and OU. If he gets a chance, it will be interesting. Physically, he is gifted !!

If no offer comes, he will have to decide between full rides to MANY D-ll schools or walk on at Dl.

Hopefully we can just get him as a walk-on. If we offer, I hope it is a grayshirt offer as a LB. As far as I'm concerned, a back in our system needs some shiftiness and subtle moves like Rex has. We already have a straight-line runner in Taylor. Probably don't need another...

Yes, a grayshirt is the way I would go.... and I agree and stated that IMO, he will play defense at the next level.

Right but some are saying that he is not worthy of a scholarship this year so we should gray shirt him if anything. To me that makes no sense, but whatever.

As stated above, with the limited number this year, you better make sure that the few that you select are going to be big time players. Through attrition and the larger numbers next year, you can afford to slide a few of these guys in that in the LONG run turn into pretty good players. If you think there is a shot at the kid being a player, but he isn't a "superstar" according to "rivals"..."scout"..... then you are better off getting him on campus with a gray shirt instead of letting him walk away. That is why I and a few others have suggested a grayshirt.

Meier holds offers from Northern Iowa, South Dakota and Minnesota-Mankato, but has also been hearing from Iowa, Iowa State and Nebraska.

Meier visited Lincoln this season and has family and friends who both attend school in Lincoln. If Meier decides to walk-on, expect the Huskers to get a long look.

i remember a kid from harlan, iowa, kevin kruse...he was a running back, ran 100m, and tore everyone up in 3a..i thought for sure he would make it in d1.. he was on des moines reg elite team.....kevin went to d1 school, tryed full back, linebacker...did not work out....the big , eye opening high school player kevin quit the team, seeing he had no future in d1...he was about the same size as this kid

i remember a kid from harlan, iowa, kevin kruse...he was a running back, ran 100m, and tore everyone up in 3a..i thought for sure he would make it in d1.. he was on des moines reg elite team.....kevin went to d1 school, tryed full back, linebacker...did not work out....the big , eye opening high school player kevin quit the team, seeing he had no future in d1...he was about the same size as this kid

You can't compare one kid to the other, but knowing Harlan football they have a bunch of towns put together and a great football staff. They are always successful and their conference only has about 1 other good football team a year.

You can't compare one kid to the other, but knowing Harlan football they have a bunch of towns put together and a great football staff. They are always successful and their conference only has about 1 other good football team a year.

I started the original post, and I will be the first to say that I wouldn't go out on any limb to say that this guy will make it or he won't. I am just saying that he has the tools and the physicality to be division 1.... He is also one of the meanest athletes I have ever coached against. He has a mean-streak. My brother is on the Harlan Booster club and does a lot of coaching in Harlan (not HS football), and knows all about Harlan athletes, including Kevin Kruse. He also knows and has seen Meier. He would be the first to tell you that Meier is better than Kruse...

But to your point... Wegher out of Heelen went to Iowa... was a stud.. didn't make it..... BUT, did earn a starting job and just made horrible off the field decisions.

Are we looking at the same film? I don't see anything on this kid that makes me think he would even come close to contributing. Slooowwwww. Not evasive. I'm sure he's a great kid, but not D1 material in my opinion.

This is one game film. He is NOT slow. The team he was playing was the 2nd best team in the State and they have State track kids across the board. The opponent has 2-3 guys with at least sub 4.5 (not 'blazing') and Nate runs away from them. His not "elusive"... you are exactly right... He would NOT be an I-back on any team. If you are looking at him from strictly a RB, then you are ABSOLUTELY spot on. He will not be an I-back.

Possible a FB at 6'2 245..... only going to get bigger.

*** He isn't slow... Last year at the South Dakota ( maybe South Dakota State?) Indoor HS track meet.... I believe he finished 7th out of 112 athletes in the 55 meter dash. This was a meet with kids from Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Minnesota.

He is questionable at best as a DI..... not sure anyone has said different. Maybe I should have added "walk-on" or "gray-shirt" to thread title.... \

Being a coach for the past 15 years at a decent talent level..... seeing kids from the Harlan's (Koch brothers), Souix City Heelens (Wegher), Logan Magnolia ( Alvis)...... Bronson Marsh (Nebraska)....... I am just saying that in person, he is every bit as impressive as most of these guys.... All of whom start for DI schools (except Wegher - who did)........ Oh, and Marsh