I Have Seen The Prototype

chamrocck

Great game from Alabama tonight. All year LSU had the flash, the razzle dazzle, individual talent like no other team, the funny Mad Hatter coach, and media asking if LSU could be one of the best teams ever... well they just got mauled by a unit that was far superior. Even when I look at the first game, Alabama could have easily won but were let down on special teams. Tonight LSU was freakin' shutout! The gameplan by LSU was terrible...trying to run option and screens to the edge against Alabama's speed was suicidal. They took no shots deep. Alabama's offensive gameplan was brilliant. Even in the first game you saw LSU had a defense that could stop Richardson. So they come out and play action and give their QB makeable plays rolling out and hitting the TE and talented WR's. Then punch Richardson and Lacy as well. LSU's defense was formidable but was giving up yards not knowing what Bama would do next. A great OL helped McCarron as well. Saban was far superior and really made Miles look awful tonight. LSU had no answers on offense.

Yes, Alabama has some great players and great recruiting classes. But remember they went through the Mike Shula years but have now built a prototype of how to win big. I would take this same approach at Nebraska.

Starts with defense...you got a great Blackshirts defense and you can beat anyone, anytime. The Bama mush rush gets TFL and creates QB panic...Jordan Jefferson was completely lost out there. We need to get players and create a defense that attracts recruits. We did this early with Pelini but not lately.

Very good, smart QB who is a game manager. Bama has done this with McElroy and now McCarron. No reason we cannot do this. We are coaching TMart more into this role.

Ground game...obviously Bama has had some great RB's lately but we have also been historically good at this position.

OL - has been a mess for us lately. Have to fix or doesn't matter who QB is back there. After our DL, probably the worst unit right now. We are bad on both lines and we won't beat top tier teams until both lines are corrected.

WR's - we have been improving. Good to see.

Special teams - an area we are probably better than Bama at. We can't go south in this area but always keep it high focus.

Coaching - obviously Bama has some talented coaches. The main thing I see is discipline vs. our sloppy efforts. Bama had one penalty I think tonight? Wow...that is a huge difference from what we have going on.

Our program should emphasize defense, linemen, RB's, and discipline and build it from there. We have a ways to go but there is hope for us.

Great game from Alabama tonight. All year LSU had the flash, the razzle dazzle, individual talent like no other team, the funny Mad Hatter coach, and media asking if LSU could be one of the best teams ever... well they just got mauled by a unit that was far superior. Even when I look at the first game, Alabama could have easily won but were let down on special teams. Tonight LSU was freakin' shutout! The gameplan by LSU was terrible...trying to run option and screens to the edge against Alabama's speed was suicidal. They took no shots deep. Alabama's offensive gameplan was brilliant. Even in the first game you saw LSU had a defense that could stop Richardson. So they come out and play action and give their QB makeable plays rolling out and hitting the TE and talented WR's. Then punch Richardson and Lacy as well. LSU's defense was formidable but was giving up yards not knowing what Bama would do next. A great OL helped McCarron as well. Saban was far superior and really made Miles look awful tonight. LSU had no answers on offense.

Yes, Alabama has some great players and great recruiting classes. But remember they went through the Mike Shula years but have now built a prototype of how to win big. I would take this same approach at Nebraska.

Starts with defense...you got a great Blackshirts defense and you can beat anyone, anytime. The Bama mush rush gets TFL and creates QB panic...Jordan Jefferson was completely lost out there. We need to get players and create a defense that attracts recruits. We did this early with Pelini but not lately.

Very good, smart QB who is a game manager. Bama has done this with McElroy and now McCarron. No reason we cannot do this. We are coaching TMart more into this role.

Ground game...obviously Bama has had some great RB's lately but we have also been historically good at this position.

OL - has been a mess for us lately. Have to fix or doesn't matter who QB is back there. After our DL, probably the worst unit right now. We are bad on both lines and we won't beat top tier teams until both lines are corrected.

WR's - we have been improving. Good to see.

Special teams - an area we are probably better than Bama at. We can't go south in this area but always keep it high focus.

Coaching - obviously Bama has some talented coaches. The main thing I see is discipline vs. our sloppy efforts. Bama had one penalty I think tonight? Wow...that is a huge difference from what we have going on.

Our program should emphasize defense, linemen, RB's, and discipline and build it from there. We have a ways to go but there is hope for us.

Pretty sure in order to be the best you have to plan to beat the best, not just emulate them in lesser recruiting hotbeds. I wouldn't leap praise on either Bama or LSU's offenses, at all. Bama won by wearing them down, true, but they weren't high powered or good like nebraska's old offesnse at all. It was field goals all game until lsu got lazy on one run, where the corner or saftey just sucked himself up inside and let it bounce outside rather then containing it.

But I'll agree both LSU and Bama are fundamentally better teams. Although so were wisconsin and quite a few others.

I don't think there was anything wrong with LSU trying to run the option against Alabama's speed, except for the fact that they executed so poorly. Their reason for failure had more to do with themselves than anything Alabama did. Jefferson looked ridiculously bad running the option, and it had nothing to do with Alabama. The screens to the edge were dumb, but they had simply run out of ideas at that point, I think. I think that was the only type of pass they thought Jefferson could complete.

I don't think there was anything wrong with LSU trying to run the option against Alabama's speed, except for the fact that they executed so poorly. Their reason for failure had more to do with themselves than anything Alabama did. Jefferson looked ridiculously bad running the option, and it had nothing to do with Alabama. The screens to the edge were dumb, but they had simply run out of ideas at that point, I think. I think that was the only type of pass they thought Jefferson could complete.

Ahh, the ol' dreaded "failed to execute" slogan. ;) But it's true. For a team that sparingly uses the option like LSU, execution becomes even more crucial. Not a lot of room for error. Whereas a team like Navy whose identity is rooted in option football, it's second nature for them.

Speaking of Navy, they did take South Carolina to the final minute this year, losing by 3. That classic Navy option football racked up 275 rushing yds. and 3 touchdowns. Just goes to show that option football can still work against fast SEC defenses today.