*RANT* Oversigning *RANT*

Don't look now but Alabama currently has 27 commitments.

And I believe they only have 17 schollies available...Another thing Bama does that is BS is that they force guys into medical schollies even if the said player isn't really hurt. Since Satan has been there, they have put 15 or 16 guys on medical schollies to free up ones to give to the new recruits. This is more then all the other SEC teams combined.

I wasn't even sure what their supposed allotment was but Saban ought to be winning championships with this practice. Think his class next year will look different after the oversigning rules go into effect? We'll see...

New oversigning rules? Haven't heard of that... whats this?

EDIT- what everyone else said.

For some reason I don't think those rules will do anything... Thanks for the explanations!

yeah, these new rules don't really stop this practice, they just limit it, 25 per year is still over the 85 limit after 4 years (25 x 4 = 100), this rule is just to eliminate the most egregious violators, like Houston Nutt (it's actually called the "Houston Nutt rule" by a lot of people) who used to regularly sign 30+ recruits per year at Ole Miss (his worst year was 2009, he signed 37 recruits), back then he even used to joked about the fact that there was nothing stopping him from signing 85 per year if he wanted to, the B1G handles it differently and only allows you to sign as many recruits as you have scholarships available at that time, at Michigan we have had some pretty big classes lately (like this year, because of the attrition surrounding RR's tenure, the scholarships were there to be given and no one was cut to make room because they weren't contributing on the field, our biggest class in the last 10 years (27) pales in comparison to most of the SEC schools who have multiple 30+ recruit classes in the last 10 years...

Nothing will change with the way Alabama, LSU and other schools recruit. If the SEC was really serious about stopping oversigning they'd adopt a Big 10 style policy.

For the record the Big 10 states that a school can only sign the number of players leaving +3*.

If in a given year there are 17 players leaving, say 14 have exhausted their eligibility and 3 are leaving early to go to the NFL that means that the following recruiting class is limited to 17 new signings.

* Signing 3 more for a total of 20 in my example is allowed if certain conditions are met. For instance a team must be able to document the precise reasons why they are signing 20 instead of the allowed 17. Then it must pass an official Big 10 compliance review. Suffice it to say, the Big 10 is exceedingly strict in their monitoring and policing of recruiting and over-signing and the SEC merely looks the other way. Call me cynical but it is my opinion that the new SEC rule limiting class size to no more than 25 will have the same effect as a no jaywalking sign.