I'm Finding a New Team to Cheer For

great post. regarding that 'football is arbitrary' part. so true. tons of reasons to love football. think about the Ohio fans who are probably more excited about their bowl game than we would with an MNC. you enjoy for all of it, the ups and the downs. also, the ups are not as sweet without the downs.

also, people disagree. it would be equally stupid for someone to leave a fan base because of all of the negativity. we all have different perspectives, and it should not be a surprise people are more aggressive and acerbic with their disagreements on a gd message board.

Exactly my sentiments. For example, I never get semantically aggressive with another poster unless I find their argument uncompelling and they refuse to let it go. And if said poster is constantly being argued with in this fashion, I tend to think it's more their fault than my own.

And yes, there are tons of reasons to love football, but there are also tons of reasons to realize it's not something to get overly upset about. We watch football because we love the extreme highs it offers from great plays, fan relationships and big wins. People forget this every single year and would rather get upset (and in this case, 'leave' a fan base) rather than remember why they liked a team in the first place.

i just think the down years are what make the good years so sweet. 2009 is still one of my favorite season, nothing in particularly spectacular about it, but the team over-performed and created a lot of excitement and hope unreasonable expectations.

The strong finish in '09 and Bo's little quote after the Holiday Bowl and the strong start to '10 created some expectations and yes, you could call it hope that I knew deep down was uncalled for, but went with it anyway. Now this year's team full of youth and new coaches, new conference etc. etc. played out as a big dissappointment, but according to who/what? I'm keeping the faith, and I like Kool aid