I'm Finding a New Team to Cheer For

What a crappy coach to hold his players and their development as men above the fans and media. Ugh such a pathetic excuse for a college coach.

Oh, I was unaware that Bo was hired on to be the students' life coach. I thought he was getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to win football games (championships if you want to actually hold him to his word). Thanks for clearing that up!

/sarcasm

Thanks for letting us know that was sarcasm. Some of us didn't pick up on that.

/sarcasm

/sarcasm

Lolz. On this board? ...Trust me, It's entirely necessary.

I've been a fan (real or not) for 40 years. Both my children wore a Husker Jersey that had been worn on the Memorial Stadium field before they were 24 hours old. My grand babies will do the same. Have I been disappointed by games that we lost, yup, Have I bitched, pissed and moaned about the way things were going, yup, have I ever been embarrassed by a Husker football coach or team, not for one minute. Has anyone ever asked me how I felt about how a coach acted on the side lines? Not once. Have I ever ever once thought about switching my alligence to another team. "Chile please." Sorry you feel the way you do Lando but its your decision and you probably won't be missed by anyone other that the Nebraska fans you used to hang out with and tey have probably been thinking, "What's up with this Jack Ass? Why does he have to be such a wet blanket every time we watch a game (short for "What's up with this Jerk? Do we need to change watch sites?)

As for me all I can say is you'll probably want to search for a team in the SEC and...

A M F!!!

T_O_B

G>B>R

What it all comes down to is that many don't have any perspective whatsoever. One of the best things I ever did was move out of Nebraska for 4 years. I thought I would show everybody by going off on my own and leaving my hick home state behind. It made me appreciate every aspect of this state that much more.

From a purely sports standpoint, I was amazed at the area that I once lived in. There were 3 major D1 programs within 30 minutes of my home. They were all fairly terrible at Football at the time. One of them was only about 5 miles away. I got a kick out of how I could buy a ticket for $10 and sit in the empty stadium as some of the best programs in the country steamrolled this team over and over again.

We have a great state, great people, great athletics and a good football team. Let it go dude.

This is a bit weird, so you are a fan of a football program(likely from your state) only because they win? And create some other allegiance for a couple more wins a year? The only thing I can think of is that you want to wear some teams jersey and say "I'm a winner!" as you stroll down the street. That's just to easy though, this must be a trolling in progress.

• Fire 2

Whenever I complain about anything relating to Nebraska football, I'm told over and over again that "if you don't like it, then you should just find a different team to cheer for" or the always classic, "then you're not a real fan". I've never really understood this mentality. Why can't I voice my concern/displeasure without other fans telling me I'm a bad fan or I should just take my fandom somewhere else? But something occurred to me this year and maybe I get it now. Honestly, if I don't like it, there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not going to be able to change it and if I really don't like it that much, then my only real choice is to "take my business elsewhere".

I have found myself less and less on board with the direction of the Nebraska football program lately. I do not like Bo Pelini. I never have. He's nothing like what I've grown up knowing and loving about Nebraska as a state, a school or a football program. He showed this when he was Solich's D-Coordinator and he has continued to show it many, many times since. He's an embarrassment to Nebraska football...both as a coach and as the face of our once proud program. I was tolerant (at best) of him as our coach in the beginning but I just have a hard time getting behind pretty much everything regarding the football program under his tenure. I have found myself in increasing disagreement with so many things like player development, recruiting, coaching hires, playing time, dealings with the media/fan base, personnel choices, and on and on and on, and on and on and on. The guy is a disgrace and everyone outside of Nebraska knows it. Don't believe me? Go read other team's message boards or look at the commentary/coverage from just about every media source out there. He is running this program into the ground even more than Callahan. And at the end of the day it has taken the wind out of my sails as a fan over time.

The problem is, the general mentality of Husker nation is that he wins 9 games so you have to keep him around. I don't entirely disagree with this line of thinking as I think it is hard to justify firing a guy who wins 9 games. But most Nebraska fans have their heads buried in the sand so far that they can't or won't see that this is bigger than winning and losing. They can't get past the 9 win seasons and see the forest for the trees. They are so worried about the possibility of having a losing season that they don't realize the program is getting flushed down the toilet right under their noses. All things point toward much darker days ahead for Nebraska football. But until then, I'm just supposed to live with it until Bo starts losing enough games for people to realize it and he gets fired? Boy, that sounds like a great way to spend my time as a fan.

I've been a Nebraska fan pretty much all of my life. Nebraska is my alma mater and I was lucky enough to have attended school there during 2 of their National Championships and live in Omaha for another. Nebraska gave me 30 plus years of some great football memories and my fandom for NU grew stronger every year throughout their time in Big 8 and then most of the Big 12 and even after I left school and moved away after graduation...through Solich, through Pederson and through Callahan. So the thought of switching teams seemed crazy at first. It's just not in my makeup to even consider something like that. There are a lot of bandwagon fans out there who jump from team to team and never really get behind one program for very long. Well, I'm not one of them. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy so this really seemed like an impossibility at first glance. But the more I thought about it and the more I was told by "real" Nebraska fans that I wasn't a "real fan" for disagreeing with state of the program and "if I didn't like it then I should find another team to cheer for", the more I thought why not? I really have no other choice, right?

So, at the end of this season, for the first time ever as a Nebraska fan, I found myself at a crossroads. Given that I have no control over who Nebraska hires as a coach and he may not be going anywhere anytime soon if he just keeps beating the teams he is supposed to beat, I am left with really only two options. I can either live with my dissatisfaction or I can find a new team to cheer for.

For me, life's too short to just sit back and take it and I'm a college football fan to be happy, not miserable. So I've decided to find another team to support. I get it now. I'm not a real fan despite the thirty plus years and tens of thousands of dollars I've given to the program. That's fine with me. I really don't care anymore and I'd rather not be associated with a program as long as Bo Pelini is the coach. Best of luck to all of you and thanks for providing a nice place to discuss my former team. Good luck with Bo...you'll need it.

#firstworldproblems

If your willing to give up your fanhood like that, especially after giving so much of your time and money as you say you have, well then I have to say Goodbye and Good luck.

I don't give a sh#t who likes Bo and who doesn't. I happen to like him, but I do realize he had better learn what being a Head Coach at a program like Nebraska entails. He'll have to learn that a place like Nebraska is not where young coaches learn their jobs to be promoted to other places. Nebraska is where good coaches get promoted to after becoming great at their job in other places.

I've always understood what a bunch of spoiled babies most Nebraska fans are. I've let it bother me a few times and I've dealt with it personally quite a few times. Who gives a sh#t? I know I'm not that way. I know I have realistic expectations. I can sit here and tell you right now that I read the Huskerboard most everyday. I agree with about 5% of the people here on anything. Most of the people here are far far different in the way they view things than me. I just always hope that the one thing we have in common is that we want the best for the Football team the represents the University of Nebraska. As long as we all want to return to greatness, then we can agree to disagree on how to get there.

I'll never turn my back on this program. I'll never turn my back on a player, no matter whether I like the way he plays, or believe he should even be on the field, I will always wish the best for them. I will only support the current coach at Nebraska until he gives me a reason to bail out on them. I'm not a sunshine and rainbows type. I will support Bo until I believe there is no reason to support him anymore. At that point, I could care less where he goes and what he does. Boo hoo for me and you if we don't agree. I am a big boy, I can handle differences in opinions and I actually think it is what makes any discussion more interesting. My favorite sports analysts are Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd so I'd say you know where I stand on opinions.

No matter what you believe or how different it may be, if you believe it, stand by it, represent it, and don't back down from it. People with conviction are honorable, whether they are right or wrong.

I just feel like spending the time to explain why you're giving up on the Huskers and finding a new team is a waste of time. If you want to leave, just leave. Nobody really cares...People aren't going to beg you to stay on our side...

I said something similar to this to walksalone in another thread. I kinda feel bad for telling him to look else where and he wouldn't be missed. Truth is I don't want any fan of the Huskers jumping ship. So I apologize. Hope you all stick around, it will get better. Just have to give it a little time. :wasted

Trust me, some HuskerPedia reject isn't going sway my allegiance...

NOT NOW, NOT EVA

Not too mention, this coming from these two great minds, priceless...

Edited by walksalone