Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

I'm finished The Staircase series (13 episodes).  Interesting.  Similar to Making a Murderer.

the-staircase-210x300.jpg

Spoiler

In December 2001, novelist Michael Peterson called to report that his wife Kathleen had fallen down a set of stairs and died. The authorities disbelieved Peterson's story that Kathleen had fallen while drunk and concluded instead that Peterson had bludgeoned her to death, most likely with a fireplace poker which was discovered missing from the house. Peterson was soon charged with murder and the film details the ensuing case from the point of view of Peterson and his defense team, led by David Rudolf. During the trial it is discovered that while Peterson was living in Germany a family friend of his died from an intra-cerebral haemorrhage followed by the body falling down stairs after collapsing which resulted in similar head injuries to those sustained by Peterson's wife. An investigation by German police and US military authorities concluded that the death was accidental and Peterson ended up adopting the woman's two daughters. The prosecution introduced this death into the trial as an incident giving Peterson the idea of how to "fake" Kathleen's accident. During the trial, Peterson's daughters stand steadfastly by their father. The prosecution argues that Kathleen had discovered that Michael was bisexual and had been having affairs with men, which led to an argument where he bludgeoned her to death. Peterson claimed that his wife knew about his sexuality and that they had an open marriage. He claims to have been outside by their pool when Kathleen fell down the stairs and injured herself. A defense team recreation shows that it would have been possible for Peterson to have missed his wife's cries for help had he been by the pool. The jury ultimately convicts Peterson.

• Plus1 2

On 6/11/2018 at 11:44 AM, knapplc said:

I've started Season 5 of Arrested Development.  It's very choppy, disjointed, and seems to have very little point.  The plot seems to spin in circles.  I'm becoming very disinterested.

Spoiler

I enjoyed five more than four but it's still several rungs down from the original three seasons. Bad storytelling decisions they made in S4 are being carried through S5, things that I never found funny or sensical (like the Marky Bark angle or the sudden love interest between Tony Wonder and GOB).

I do believe S5 is doing a much better job of engaging the family with one another and getting back to some of its roots, but the episodes feel largely forgettable.

A few things I’ve watched lately.

Safe (Netflix) starring Michael C. Hall (Dexter). I liked it. Fairly short binge that holds your interest well. Very similar to Broadchurch and Black Mirror. Obviously made by many of the same people with the same formula. Downside is they all kind of do it the same way, cast aspersions on a new character every episode then clear them and move on to the next suspect. It’s very entertaining but you end up feeling used by the end.

American Made (HBO) starring Tom Cruise. I avoided seeing this sooner because I’m not a TC fan but I loved this movie. Predominantly true story juiced up to make it even more interesting. It is unbelievable what  Barry Seal did and was empowered to do by the CIA and DEA.  Noriega, Sandinistas, freedom fighters, Iran Contra, Ollie North, Pablo Escobar and the Medellín cartel, Reagan, drug and gun running.... Un Be Lieveable but true story. I did a little research to check it and most everything in the movie actually happened. The only completely made up part involved his wife’s derelict brother and they left out some stuff that should’ve been included to tell the whole story but you absolutely have to see it if you haven’t already.

It (HBO) Stephen King remake. Was not impressed. They relied on cheap scares and creepy Pennywise clown but forgot to tell the story. Honestly if you hadn’t seen the original you would be fairly lost for most of it. I’d skip it.

Oh, almost forgot. Also went to Incredibles 2 at the theatre. Excellent, almost as good as the original, just a small notch below but The Incredibles is one of my favorite animated movies. Can’t go wrong if you choose to see this one.

The Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns on Netflix is an absolute must see for everyone. I can't express how exceptional it is. Having been born in 63 that period of time has always fascinated me. Considering I lived through that time it amazes me how little I really understood about the details of that war or the associated social unrest. It also helps put current day events in  perspective. If you think things are beyond jacked up today, take a long hard look at that tumultuous period and realize that we made it through it. I had heard of Khe San, Da Nang, the Tet offensive, the Mekong Delta etc. but now I know why I heard those names on the nightly news and their importance. And the soundtrack is phenomenal.  My music taste has always been formed by the late 60's and early 70's and the soundtrack for this show is spot on with what was happening in this era. Trust me, watch the show. It's long and thorough but not documentary boring in the slightest.

• Plus1 4