Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

45 minutes ago, Fru said:

HoC got a little sideways after season 2. Watching Frank scheme his way to the top was great television, once he was there it got a little less compelling. The way the final season was written really bummed me out. 

Agreed on Making a Murderer Part 2 and American Vandal. Great social commentary from AV. 

Lol right, it feels almost like an obligation. 

This is pretty much how I feel as well.  Seasons 1 & 2 are excellent.  Season 3 for me was kinda so-so.  While Season 4/5 had some good moments (the election, all the Tom Hammerschmidt stuff---he's excellent) it eventually got to a point where none of the characters had any redeeming qualities after the show severed ties with the last few characters that showed Frank had some decency, namely Freddie, Tim Corbett and Meechum.  And while Robin Wright is excellent as Claire, there is such a cold hearted blackness to her that I'm just like, "Damn, this woman is dead inside."  The frightening thing is, I have zero doubt that there are people in Washington (and really all places) that are exactly like Claire, completely self serving without having an ounce of empathy for anyone.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

So true. At the core, its really about family, addiction, and trauma, and how they can tear a family apart, wrapped in a 'horror' overcoat.

The Bent Neck Lady episode and Two Storms left me sort of speechless after seeing them. Two Storms was fascinating because the whole thing was filmed in something like 4-5 takes. Two of those takes were more than 15 minutes long.

Two Storms was my favorite episode. I'll have to view it again to see how they accomplished that in only 4 or 5 takes. I should probably watch the whole thing again and focus on finding the hidden ghosts. I only noticed 2 or 3 as I was watching the first time, and I was sort of on the lookout for them.

On 10/31/2018 at 1:13 PM, Enhance said:

My wife and I watched it and loved it. (BTW... I hate that someone described it as a scary "This is Us.")

I thought the ending was a bit cheesy like you said but it was very good overall. Few shows leave me somewhat shaken and thinking about what I just saw afterwards but this was one of those. It's like a heartbreaking, heartwarming and scary c$%ktail. I'm also just creeped out now... looking over my shoulder in the house way more than I do after other horror shows.:lol:

The Bent Neck Lady and Two Storms were probably the two best episodes.

We just watched Bent Neck Lady last night, my fiance after watching it sat in silence for a minute and just slow turned to me and said 'WTF??'    I can't wait for the Two Storms episode now.

8 minutes ago, sho said:

We just watched Bent Neck Lady last night, my fiance after watching it sat in silence for a minute and just slow turned to me and said 'WTF??'    I can't wait for the Two Storms episode now.

Ohhhhhhh hell yeah. Let me know what you think after you see it. Two Storms is incredible especially if you appreciate the art of filmmaking.

On 11/9/2018 at 9:19 AM, Enhance said:

Ohhhhhhh hell yeah. Let me know what you think after you see it. Two Storms is incredible especially if you appreciate the art of filmmaking.

I didn't realize that Two Storms was the next episode, it was incredible.   They did film that brilliantly.  I can see how it was done with limited takes, but the skills needed by everyone involved to pull it off, incredible.   Love this show, they are continuously leaving me going WTF in a good creepy way.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 11/13/2018 at 7:50 AM, sho said:

I didn't realize that Two Storms was the next episode, it was incredible.   They did film that brilliantly.  I can see how it was done with limited takes, but the skills needed by everyone involved to pull it off, incredible.   Love this show, they are continuously leaving me going WTF in a good creepy way.

Nice! Glad you enjoyed it. I was reading some articles about the amount of work that went into it, particularly with building the sets close together so they could seamlessly transition from the mortuary to the house. I kind of want to rewatch it again.

The endings to episode five and six just break your heart.

Here's a featurette on filming episode six.

• Plus1 1
On 11/22/2018 at 5:37 AM, The Dude said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix.

Let's face it, the Coen brothers can do no wrong.

Buster Scruggs is awesome. I liked all the stories but especially the first two.

I swear, the Coen Bros could film a pile of dog poop and somehow make it worth watching. Now I feel like watching Fargo, Ladykillers and O Brother. The Big Lebowski gets viewed at least twice per year in this house.

• Plus1 1
On 11/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, Enhance said:

Nice! Glad you enjoyed it. I was reading some articles about the amount of work that went into it, particularly with building the sets close together so they could seamlessly transition from the mortuary to the house. I kind of want to rewatch it again.

The endings to episode five and six just break your heart.

Here's a featurette on filming episode six.

I keep trying to work up the nerve to watch this show since youz guyz are talking about it here.  Getting ever closer to biting the bullet on the ensuing nightmares I'll end up having.

9 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I keep trying to work up the nerve to watch this show since youz guyz are talking about it here.  Getting ever closer to biting the bullet on the ensuing nightmares I'll end up having.

You should do it. I think I mentioned it above, but, this show had me a bit shaken for weeks. This was balanced out a bit by not having too many jump scares in the show. The occasional ones they do have are done for a purpose rather than just to make you freak out.