Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

75% of the way through Punisher Season 2.  Can confirm still awesome.  Disclaimer, the show is graphically violent and not for the squeamish.  They essentially found a female version of Micro which is hilarious as much like Micro, initially is extremely grating and unlikable.  Straightforward action show, not too much deep thinking.  If you like the Punisher and vigilante justice you'll like it, if that stuff isn't your cup of tea you should pass.

Man, I watched most of season 1 but then I sort of just forgot about it.

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

In not available for a long time news, The Wheel of Time is starting production in the fall. I have chills throughout my body.

Last I heard, it's going to be on Prime. Is that still correct? I also haven't seen a casting list yet. One hadn't been released the last time I checked.

I'm about wrapped up with the 1st book. I'd be interested to see how they're going structure it all (i.e. book per season like GoT).

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Last I heard, it's going to be on Prime. Is that still correct? I also haven't seen a casting list yet. One hadn't been released the last time I checked.

I'm about wrapped up with the 1st book. I'd be interested to see how they're going structure it all (i.e. book per season like GoT).

Yes it’s gonna be on Prime. No casting news yet. 

I think they could do one season per book for the first 3 books, then it gets a little more complicated. But there’s a lot of stuff they could leave out, like secondary character stuff.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Yes, I’m famous. The TV show description isn’t great. So you should read the books.

The last three books I've read have been a Ben Franklin biography, J.D. Vance's "Hillbilly Elegy", and a David Crockett biography, so I say this with no intent to offend you....But, the story line sounds terrible. Is it Harry Potter-ish (Never read those either, but seen one of the movies).

12 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The last three books I've read have been a Ben Franklin biography, J.D. Vance's "Hillbilly Elegy", and a David Crockett biography, so I say this with no intent to offend you....But, the story line sounds terrible. Is it Harry Potter-ish (Never read those either, but seen one of the movies).

No. It’s... sort of similar to A Song of Ice and Fire (GoT). At least, the 2 series had a lot of overlap in fans before the TV show came out. I liked WoT a lot more than aSoIaF but GoT is a great TV show. Better than the books imo.

Like I said, the TV show description isn’t great if that’s what you read. The first book is mostly centered on 3 teenage boys. And men are able to use magic, it’s just illegal because it eventually makes them go insane and kill people if they use it. So saying they “can’t” use it isn’t perfect wording.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

No. It’s... sort of similar to A Song of Ice and Fire (GoT). At least, the 2 series had a lot of overlap in fans before the TV show came out.

Like I said, the TV show description isn’t great if that’s what you read. The first book is mostly centered on 3 teenage boys. And men are able to use magic, it’s just illegal because it eventually makes them go insane and kill people if they use it. So saying they “can’t” use it isn’t perfect wording.

Gotcha. 

I may have to look into reading one (Especially since you're in it!)

@B.B. Hemingway I started the reading the first book a couple of weeks ago and I've been totally enveloped, and it was due in large part to (Huskerboard) Moiraine's suggestion.

It's definitely got roots in Tolkien (great world building, developed characters) but it's less campy and I think it does a bit of a better job keeping the reader's attention. I respect the hell out of Tolkien, and I love The Hobbit, but LotR was always a tough read for me. And, for the record, I don't like ASoIaF much, but have found a lot of enjoyment with WoT.

Thanks for the reminder on True Detective.  WIll definitely revisit that.

Last night I watched “Abducted in Plain Sight”.  It had me repeatedly screaming at the tv because these people were such ...how do I put this nicely... MORONS.  Their daughter was abducted TWICE, by the same guy, and each thing they did leading up to the abductions was just so mind blowingly stupid.  I’m still screaming.

• Plus1 1
On 1/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, Scarlet Overkill said:

Thanks for the reminder on True Detective.  WIll definitely revisit that.

Last night I watched “Abducted in Plain Sight”.  It had me repeatedly screaming at the tv because these people were such ...how do I put this nicely... MORONS.  Their daughter was abducted TWICE, by the same guy, and each thing they did leading up to the abductions was just so mind blowingly stupid.  I’m still screaming.

I watched it last night.  It took us nearly 3 hours to watch it. We kept pausing it going WTF??   They really aren't this stupid, are they?  And 5 minutes later they would prove they could be even more stupid than I thought.    I then had to Google it was a real thing and not some sort of acting, CPS should have taken the other 2 girls away as well.

• Plus1 1