Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

S3 of Santa Clarita Diet has dropped on Netflix. Please do yourselves a favor and watch all 3 seasons. It's awesome.

So well done...Tim O is fantastic and talk about a guy that has mapped out his career in such a great way that he can be rich and not work a ton.  

On 3/7/2019 at 10:13 PM, Moiraine said:

Episode 6 of the TV show starring myself has a name now and I'm arguing with people about The Wheel of Time for the first time in 12 years about what the title means like a giant nerd.

What is the episode name? I literally don't know anyone else who is reading or has read the series so I'm starved to talk to somebody about it. I'm finishing up "The Dragon Reborn" right now, btw.

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

What is the episode name? I literally don't know anyone else who is reading or has read the series so I'm starved to talk to somebody about it. I'm finishing up "The Dragon Reborn" right now, btw.

IIRC it’s “The Flame of Tar Valon” or some other vague Aes Sedai title. People were arguing stupidly that it had to be when Siuan arrived in Shienar, and that they must be doing 2 books in 1 season. But it could be a bunch of different things in book 1. I think it’s the introduction of Elaida. They need to make the viewer scared of Aes Sedai so that has to be in there. I believe it’s about 2/3 through the book. But it could also just be Moiraine talking to Egwene about channeling.

I can’t imagine them doing 2 books in 1 season, especially since book 1 has a perfect ending point for a season ending and they’re going to need extra time to introduce things. 

So I take it you like the series. I probably told you already but the 4th book is my favorite. 3’s pretty far up there too.

@Moiraine You're right - that could be any number of things, and that's assuming they actually stick to the full storyline and don't inject some element that wasn't from the books.

The low-hanging fruit option would be that it's the start of book two in the middle of season one. I believe "The Flame of Tar Valon" is the name of the first chapter in Book 2 when Siuan gets to Fal Dara. But, I agree with you. Book one is just a great story start to finish so consolidating that down among five episodes seems advantageous bordering on ridiculous.

That said, I also have a hard time imaging they'll do a book per season. I don't know what the rest of the series is like, naturally, but 13 seasons seems way too long. Consolidation will likely happen somewhere. There are quite a few elements of books two and three I think could be eliminated entirely though so I'm sure there are opportunities in the other books, as well.

Overall, I really like the series. I occasionally struggle with Jordan's prose - his world-building technique is enjoyable but it sometimes leaves me with a feeling emptiness, almost like less would be more. That doesn't happen often though. I mostly enjoy being totally engrossed in that world.

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

@Moiraine You're right - that could be any number of things, and that's assuming they actually stick to the full storyline and don't inject some element that wasn't from the books.

The low-hanging fruit option would be that it's the start of book two in the middle of season one. I believe "The Flame of Tar Valon" is the name of the first chapter in Book 2 when Siuan gets to Fal Dara. But, I agree with you. Book one is just a great story start to finish so consolidating that down among five episodes seems advantageous bordering on ridiculous.

That said, I also have a hard time imaging they'll do a book per season. I don't know what the rest of the series is like, naturally, but 13 seasons seems way too long. Consolidation will likely happen somewhere. There are quite a few elements of books two and three I think could be eliminated entirely though so I'm sure there are opportunities in the other books, as well.

Overall, I really like the series. I occasionally struggle with Jordan's prose - his world-building technique is enjoyable but it sometimes leaves me with a feeling emptiness, almost like less would be more. That doesn't happen often though. I mostly enjoy being totally engrossed in that world.

I agree, they can’t/won’t do a book per season. But for season 1 it would work well. Kind of like with Game of Thrones.

He could get really carried away with that and it gets worse later on. I think one problem is his editor was his wife. Hopefully you can manage to make it through because I think the series ends well, but for a TV series, 70% of books 7-10 could probably be taken out.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

He could get really carried away with that and it gets worse later on. I think one problem is his editor was his wife. Hopefully you can manage to make it through because I think the series ends well, but for a TV series, 70% of books 7-10 could probably be taken out.

That's fascinating - I didn't know that. Seems like a very plausible explanation in that perhaps there should've been more pushback an unbiased editor could've provided.

Have you ever read any of The Kingkiller Chronicles; specifically, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? I've only read the first one but it was enough to prevent me from reading the rest of the series. The plot structure was poor and the mass paperback version was approximately 1,000 pages. Felt like nothing interesting happened by the time I finished it.

The only reason I bring up The Kingkiller Chronicles is because I've heard what you're saying in other places online, that books 7-10 in the WoT series can be a bit of a drag. But, since they're in the middle of the series, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to just push through because a great foundation was set from the beginning. That wasn't the case with The Kingkiller Chronicles - I felt it started off bad and just put a poor taste in my mouth.

35 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That's fascinating - I didn't know that. Seems like a very plausible explanation in that perhaps there should've been more pushback an unbiased editor could've provided.

Have you ever read any of The Kingkiller Chronicles; specifically, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? I've only read the first one but it was enough to prevent me from reading the rest of the series. The plot structure was poor and the mass paperback version was approximately 1,000 pages. Felt like nothing interesting happened by the time I finished it.

The only reason I bring up The Kingkiller Chronicles is because I've heard what you're saying in other places online, that books 7-10 in the WoT series can be a bit of a drag. But, since they're in the middle of the series, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to just push through because a great foundation was set from the beginning. That wasn't the case with The Kingkiller Chronicles - I felt it started off bad and just put a poor taste in my mouth.

I thought Name of the Wind was decent and I think I read the 2nd book but it’s telling that I don’t remember it and I’ve never clamoured for the next book. I just hear every so often he hasn’t written it yet.

At least on your read of WoT you don’t have to wait for the next book to be published. That’s even harder if the latest book isn’t good and answers nothing and you still want to know what happens.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, teachercd said:

Cobra Kai is so well done...I love it.

Ya. It’s pretty amazing. If I just heard they were making a show based off Karate Kid it sounds like a terrible idea. Making Johnny a good/conflicted guy was brilliant.

Also, having Cobra Kai

vandalize Miyagi Do almost made me cry. Those bastards. It’s also brilliant writing because it makes me care about what is a pretty silly concept of a show if you think about it. But they were attacking a part of my childhood so I had to care.

• Fire 1