Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

10 minutes ago, GSG said:

Tell me more cuz I thought it looked like riverdale without the cable tv restrictions

Funny you say that, they actually make a joke or two about Riverdale in the show!

Think...Lord of the Flies.

Basically all the adults disappear...the high school students are all that is left...they have no idea why the adults are gone and they now have to create a society.  

It is a really easy watch.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Now that Game of Thrones is done I'm thinking of starting Black Mirror. I've heard I should NOT start at S01E01, nor with Bandersnatch.

Which episode should I start with?

That's kind of tough. I would start with s1e1 if you can force yourself to stick with it. If a couple episode will cause you to bail, I'd start w s2e1. And Id definitely wait until you're through the complete series to watch Bandersnatch.

The first season is only 3 episodes IIRC but they are probably the 3 weakest in the whole deal. They are all independent stories BUT the technology referenced throughout starts building from 1-1. So that's why I would recommend starting there. Just realize it gets a lot better after s1 and some things introduced in s1 will give you a better basis for the whole series.

When you figure out you liked Black Mirror, try Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime. It's extremely similar but with more of an American rather than English bent.

Edit- If you're wanting to start with a few of the best episodes, these are some of my favs;

USS Calister s4e1

Nosedive s3e1

Be Right Back s2e1

And really s1e1 is pretty good, it just doesn't seem too representative of the series. IMO the only real dogs are the 2nd and 3rd of s1 but some rankings have them listed fairly high. I really liked Arkangel s4e2 but the ranking I'm looking at has it rated 20th.  Anyway, I think you'll enjoy the whole series.

• Plus1 2
On 5/19/2019 at 4:58 PM, GSG said:

Tell me more cuz I thought it looked like riverdale without the cable tv restrictions

That's pretty much it, Riverdale meets Lord of the Flies without cable TV restrictions. I watched the whole series and can't tell you if I liked it or not. I had a very difficult time relating to any of the characters and really can't stand how a couple of the main people react to situations. It's not that I dislike the characters but I don't like that I really don't care for any of them. Throughout the whole deal I wanted to quit watching it but I just inexplicably kept going.  And then at the end of the last episode they drop a bombshell from out of nowhere, I suppose for the purpose of hooking you for a 2nd season. It didn't work. I don't care if it comes back or not.

15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This show has been gone for so long I feel like the kids are all grown up, in their late 30's, with jobs and families. 

The "teens" are too old but the main kids are 14-17. If they do a couple more seasons it'll start to look funny unless they go forward in time a few years.

15 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Chernobyl on HBO is ****ing incredible. It's a miniseries with (I think) one or two more episodes, but it's amazing. 

5 episodes, so one left to air next Monday.   Listening to the podcast of the show, they said the worst is behind us and we will have all the answers with episode 5.   I don't think I could handle another episode like #4.   That was just an hour of gut-punches.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, sho said:

5 episodes, so one left to air next Monday.   Listening to the podcast of the show, they said the worst is behind us and we will have all the answers with episode 5.   I don't think I could handle another episode like #4.   That was just an hour of gut-punches.

Yea, episode 4 was beyond bleak; I had to pause it multiple times, particularly the revelation at the very end in which I was watching while feeding my 6 month old her bedtime bottle.