Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 9/14/2020 at 9:28 PM, GSG said:

Watched most of this tonight with my wife

Pretty sad and pretty f#&%ing scary

ETA: I missed the first half, but this show is basically interviewing all of these tech people, many of whom were creators/developers of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., and how they've come to realize that the technologies have turned people and their minds into a currency. They talk a lot about how there is so much false information out there and how the algorithms spread false information at 6x the rate of factual info. They talk about how this leads to radicalization of the populace. It's a little terrifying. I actually deleted Facebook after we finished it. 

I watched this last night. Scary stuff indeed. I too noted the targeting of misinformation, to include "suggesting" to the user other sites that also spread falsehoods. I was shocked to here them say that Twitter was actually the worst offender :o with Facebook right up there as well :dunno

@GSG @DevoHusker  @teachercd  @Xmas32  @Danny Bateman

I’ll never view my Google news or Facebook feeds the same.

I rarely check in on Facebook any more but I felt the need to today after watching Social Dilemma. And typically I’ll check the Google feed on my phone a few times a day to see what’s up. Today I actually pictured those 3 guys back there controlling what I was seeing. Kinda creeped me out :lol:

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

@GSG @DevoHusker  @teachercd  @Xmas32  @Danny Bateman

I’ll never view my Google news or Facebook feeds the same.

I rarely check in on Facebook any more but I felt the need to today after watching Social Dilemma. And typically I’ll check the Google feed on my phone a few times a day to see what’s up. Today I actually pictured those 3 guys back there controlling what I was seeing. Kinda creeped me out :lol:

For the past couple years I've only been checking Facebook maybe once or twice a week. After watching the doc, I opened up my feed and saw few 20-paragraph religious proclamations, a few virus conspiracies, and a bunch of political crap. That wasn't why I joined Facebook back in college. I haven't deactivated my account but I deleted the app and removed the Facebook page from my mobile browser. 

YouTube is my real problem, but I don't seek out anything related to conspiracies or politics on there. It's mostly music, fails, TV/movies, ghost videos, and workout videos. Having said that, it's super easy to watch one or two and then all of the sudden I've watched 8 or 9. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, GSG said:

YouTube is my real problem, but I don't seek out anything related to conspiracies or politics on there. It's mostly music, fails, TV/movies, ghost videos, and workout videos. Having said that, it's super easy to watch one or two and then all of the sudden I've watched 8 or 9. 

My Thursday golf league partner is the same. He says he intends to watch some specific YouTube clip/channel and the next thing he knows, an hour or 2 has gone by

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

My Thursday golf league partner is the same. He says he intends to watch some specific YouTube clip/channel and the next thing he knows, an hour or 2 has gone by

I do it a lot with cooking videos! I do get some dinner ideas from them though :dunno

• Plus1 2

Just finished the second season of Pen15 on Hulu. The show is set in 2000 and follows two 13-year old girls (played by adults). It's pretty funny. My wife relates to it more than I do since she's younger than me. The executive producers are the guys from The Lonely Island (Andy Samberg, Akiva Shaffer, and Jorma Taccone). It's pretty cringey and awkward, much like we all were at that age 

Just finished season one of Cobra Kai. It is such a well-made show. Perfectly melds the original Karate Kid with modern day. 

Lots of throwbacks, lots of old clips used for the show. 

The plot looks a little like a DNA strand - all interwoven around itself with people going from good guy to bad guy to good guy to bad guy from show to show - sometimes from scene to scene. 

There's a couple other things we want to watch right now, so we're putting Season 2 on hold for a bit, but we're definitely going to watch it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Just finished season one of Cobra Kai. It is such a well-made show. Perfectly melds the original Karate Kid with modern day. 

Lots of throwbacks, lots of old clips used for the show. 

The plot looks a little like a DNA strand - all interwoven around itself with people going from good guy to bad guy to good guy to bad guy from show to show - sometimes from scene to scene. 

There's a couple other things we want to watch right now, so we're putting Season 2 on hold for a bit, but we're definitely going to watch it.

My wife and I are about 6 episodes in to the first season. I hardly ever watch a new tv series: the time commitment, my attention span, and my early night sleepiness usually prohibit it, but damn, Cobra Kai is really good so far. I am impressed.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1