Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 2/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, NUance said:

Legend.  On Netflix right now.  The movie is based on the real-life gangster twins Reggie and Ronnie Kray.  Better than Good Fellas, imho.  

NSFW language.  Lots of F-bombs in this clip.  But with that British accent they just don't seem profane.  

“Better than Goodfellas”— that’s saying something.  May have to check it out.  

Watched Nomadland on Hulu.  Decent because of excellent acting, but overall I felt it was somewhat unsatisfying.  Probably too realistic and documentary-ish at times.  I am a big Frances McDormand fan though.  I recommend going in not expecting a bunch of juicy drama.  I’m curious about anyone else’s opinion on it.   

3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Watched Nomadland on Hulu.  Decent because of excellent acting, but overall I felt it was somewhat unsatisfying.  Probably too realistic and documentary-ish at times.  I am a big Frances McDormand fan though.  I recommend going in not expecting a bunch of juicy drama.  I’m curious about anyone else’s opinion on it.   

The wife and I watched it Tuesday night. I was left with much of the same perspective as you. I was intrigued by the real life aspect, and interested in the use of "real people" on what is actually a Spinal Tap style mockumentary.

McDormand is a treasure, some of the scenery is gorgeous, but overall mostly "meh".

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

A year or two after it first came out we thought we'd watch one or two episodes just to see what it was about. Now it's probably our favorite show.

It's ours too.  Can't wait for the next season then the final movie.

6 hours ago, NUance said:

What season are you in?  I liked the first season, but lost interest after season two.  I might have to start over and binge the whole thing.  The same happened to me with Breaking  Bad and I loved it.  

It gets a lot better.

On 2/22/2021 at 9:10 AM, GSG said:

We finished "Behind Her Eyes" last night. That was some twisty ending. It's a limited series with only 6 episodes so it's not a huge time commitment 

Just finished it tonight.  Whoa!  That was twisty.  

On 12/5/2020 at 2:49 PM, whateveritis1224 said:

Not Netflix, but streaming on Apple+. I'm going to recommend Ted Lasso. Its a SitCom about a College Football Coach from Wichita accepts a soccer coaching position in the Premier League. It's just a wholesome show.

Stars Jason Sudeikis and Juno Temple as the most recognizable actors.

Finally got around to Ted Lasso. I agree it is a fun light watch and just generally feel good stuff which is a nice change compared to a lot of stuff now a days that is so heavy. Lots of jokes for sports fans.

It does curse quite a bit so probably not great for kids even though the tone of the show is light.

• 2 weeks later...

2556.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Watched John Wick with my son this weekend.  Uggh!  What a terrible movie.   Virtually no plot at all.  Just some former assassin going around killing gangsters

Spoiler

because they killed his dog and stole his car.

It's not the excessive violence and killing that I mind so much in movies like this.  It's just that it's so incredibly unrealistic, and the plot is virtually nonexistent.  It does make me curious though.  How is it that such a poorly written script with a childish plot get made into a feature film with a big budget and popular movie stars?  Is this representative of the creative talent in Hollywood?