Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

Finished Midnight Mass on Netflix last night. Pretty good. Kinda drags at some parts. I feel like they gave away the whole show about halfway through. Definitely not as scary as Haunting of Hill House.

Also watched Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu. It was OK. Everyone says the book is better. 

Really like Wu-Tang: An American Saga on Hulu. Fictionalized version of the formation of the Wu-Tang Clan 

2 hours ago, GSG said:

Finished Midnight Mass on Netflix last night. Pretty good. Kinda drags at some parts. I feel like they gave away the whole show about halfway through. Definitely not as scary as Haunting of Hill House.

Also watched Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu. It was OK. Everyone says the book is better. 

Really like Wu-Tang: An American Saga on Hulu. Fictionalized version of the formation of the Wu-Tang Clan 

Have two episodes of Midnight Mass left.  My biggest gripe with it is how long some of the scenes drag out, especially the 1 on 1 dialogues.

30 minutes ago, GSG said:

@Xmas32  You're not gonna give any warnings? :lol:  

My coworkers have been talking about that show a lot this week. Sounds like a cross between Hunger Games/Saw and children's games 

Haha, that is a fair point.  It's very graphic in terms of violence although there isn't any torture scenes like Saw.  Your description is pretty apt, I'd sub out Battle Royale for Hunger Games personally but that's a minor quibble.  

11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Just a heads up, The Many Saints of Newark (prequel movie to the Sopranos) is on HBOMax and in theaters beginning this Friday.

Have been anticipating this for a long time. Hope they do the series justice.

Pretty pumped to watch this as well!  October as some bangers will Dune coming out as well.  Dune and the new James Bond movie will be the two that finally get me to head back into the theater.

21 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Pretty pumped to watch this as well!  October as some bangers will Dune coming out as well.  Dune and the new James Bond movie will be the two that finally get me to head back into the theater.

Are they still going to make James Bond a black woman?  I know not for this next film its still Daniel Craig.  I know they caught hell for even mentioning it.  

11 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Are they still going to make James Bond a black woman?  I know not for this next film its still Daniel Craig.  I know they caught hell for even mentioning it.  

I hope not. I don't understand how they can do that when there's this push against cultural appropriation in the entertainment industry. 

If we shouldn't cast straight actors as gay characters, or Americans as English characters, or Whites as non-White characters, we shouldn't cast Black people as White characters. This goes for the Idris Elba as James Bond conversation, too. I think he'd kick a$$ in the role, but James Bond is not Black. 

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I hope not. I don't understand how they can do that when there's this push against cultural appropriation in the entertainment industry. 

If we shouldn't cast straight actors as gay characters, or Americans as English characters, or Whites as non-White characters, we shouldn't cast Black people as White characters. This goes for the Idris Elba as James Bond conversation, too. I think he'd kick a$$ in the role, but James Bond is not Black. 

I was listening to someone talk about this the other day (can't remember where). They were basically saying, instead of just re-casting these well-known characters as "the opposite" of what they are, why aren't we just trying to make awesome new characters? 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

and, Bond is definitely not a female.

5 minutes ago, GSG said:

I was listening to someone talk about this the other day (can't remember where). They were basically saying, instead of just re-casting these well-known characters as "the opposite" of what they are, why aren't we just trying to make awesome new characters? 

I guess I should add to this because it's not just the re-casting issues. It's remakes and reboots too. It's like we're all out of original ideas.

27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've found that a bit ironic for several years.  It only seems to go one way.  I didn't hear any complaints about cultural appropriation directed at Hamilton, for example.

The way I could see them getting away with this one is the theory that "James Bond" is not a person but a code name for the agent occupying the 007 position in the organization.  If they went that route, they could say that the white, male James Bond has retired and a new "James Bond" has now assumed that role.

• Plus1 2
Just now, GSG said:

Exactly. But they don't do that because it's harder to convince audiences to catch on to new ideas, so they just regurgitate known money-makers. That's why we're getting all these live-action remakes of Disney cartoons, or sequels to things like Top Gun. Hollywood is risk-averse right now. Especially Disney, who is eager to make up that $4 billion they dropped on the Star Wars franchise.