Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I've found that a bit ironic for several years.  It only seems to go one way.  I didn't hear any complaints about cultural appropriation directed at Hamilton, for example.

Same. If it's wrong, it's wrong across the board. I do not like the implication that cultural appropriation can only go one way.

I think we all agree that Hollywood has overwhelmingly produced White character roles through its history. But the solution to that is to create vibrant characters for all people, not rewrite characters for the sake of inclusion. 

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, GSG said:

I was listening to someone talk about this the other day (can't remember where). They were basically saying, instead of just re-casting these well-known characters as "the opposite" of what they are, why aren't we just trying to make awesome new characters? 

I think I read the same piece you're describing.  Daniel Craig mentioned this.

I tend to think that fictional characters can be subject to any sort of re-imagining a writer or director wants...I mean they are fictional, right? The Marvel universe took several characters who were originally white and/or male and recast them with people of different races/ethnicities/genders. Generally not a big deal.

But some characters honestly hit a little differently, especially if they are as ingrained in popular culture as Bond is. A big part of the James Bond character is his white maleness, and while in the 60s and 70s this was a heroic macho feature, in the last couple of decades, the writers have been able to use 007's white male privilege to portray him as a more complex and flawed character. Bond's interactions with a strong female M would certainly not have worked with a female Bond. And they have added more diversity to the cast in recent films (Felix, Moneypenny, more diverse villains, more diverse and more powerful "Bond girls"). It is possible to use Bond's whiteness and his masculinity to tell an engaging story that can still feature diversity and use those elements to expose his flaws and his privilege. 

I am all about championing diversity, and more diversity in Hollywood is certainly a good thing...but turning James Bond into a black character or a female character just because...would be pretty lazy. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I tend to think that fictional characters can be subject to any sort of re-imagining a writer or director wants...I mean they are fictional, right? The Marvel universe took several characters who were originally white and/or male and recast them with people of different races/ethnicities/genders. Generally not a big deal.

It's only a not a big deal because that was the direction it went.  It was apparently kind of a big deal that they went the other way with The Ancient One.

47 minutes ago, Ulty said:

But some characters honestly hit a little differently, especially if they are as ingrained in popular culture as Bond is. A big part of the James Bond character is his white maleness, and while in the 60s and 70s this was a heroic macho feature, in the last couple of decades, the writers have been able to use 007's white male privilege to portray him as a more complex and flawed character. Bond's interactions with a strong female M would certainly not have worked with a female Bond. And they have added more diversity to the cast in recent films (Felix, Moneypenny, more diverse villains, more diverse and more powerful "Bond girls"). It is possible to use Bond's whiteness and his masculinity to tell an engaging story that can still feature diversity and use those elements to expose his flaws and his privilege. 

I am all about championing diversity, and more diversity in Hollywood is certainly a good thing...but turning James Bond into a black character or a female character just because...would be pretty lazy. 

Don't ever get on any marvel fan forums.  Also James Bond was based on a real person who happened to be white and male and a spy.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:49 AM, Xmas32 said:

Pretty pumped to watch this as well!  October as some bangers will Dune coming out as well.  Dune and the new James Bond movie will be the two that finally get me to head back into the theater.

So what did you think of it?

I have mixed feelings. I liked it, it was a good story and cast very well. Gave some pretty good insight and background for the series. But at the same time I was a little disappointed. Not sure if it’s because I was looking forward to it so much or more that they could only do so much in two hours to try to live up to an  epic 86 episode series.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, Xmas32 said:

Audacious undertaking by Amazon.  I hope they can do right by the books.  

On 10/12/2021 at 8:50 PM, admo said:

They previews feel like I just seen the movie.  Cute chick in the clip teaser 

Me too. Here's more. I think they made them square to crop some things out they don't want to show yet.