Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 1/21/2023 at 10:53 AM, JJ Husker said:

Actually, Banshees of Inisherin was very good. I guess the critics got one right. It’s a dark tragedy/comedy. Excellent acting turns by Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson (mad eye mooney).  I wouldn’t have guessed that Farrell was capable of that role.  I’m no movie expert but I’d say the direction and score were also excellent and the cinematography/photography were done well.  It’s no Marvel action movie by any means, slow paced and few characters set on a remote, desolate island off of Ireland. The accents made some of the dialogue hard to follow so I turned on the CC.

Did you by chance see "In Bruges" with Farrell and Gleeson?  Also the same director.  Couldn't recommend that movie highly enough as well.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Did you by chance see "In Bruges" with Farrell and Gleeson?  Also the same director.  Couldn't recommend that movie highly enough as well.

I have not seen that one. Will have to check it out. I’m always looking for a movie to watch when I don’t feel like committing the time to a series.

8 hours ago, teachercd said:

And I finished up Wednesday, it is pretty good.  It might be more believable than Yellowstone!

Hmmm…

A detached hand that can see, hear, reason and somehow manages to generate leverage out of thin air vs the everyday happenings on the Dutton Ranch?

Yeah, Wednesday is a bit more believable :lol:

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I haven't played The Last of Us yet. I've watched the first 3 episodes of the show. Every episode has been really good, but the 3rd one would have been nominated for an Oscar Best Picture if it was a movie.

I know nothing about the game, friends talked me into watching as they knew I loved the first few seasons of Walking Dead and said this would be a show I would enjoy.   Hands down better than Walking Dead, great story, great acting.   And like you said episode three was flat out amazing.   Nick Offerman deserves best supporting actor for his role.   Amazing.   Seeing the meal at the end of the episode and looking out the window....

giphy.gif

Edit   This show is also giving me some Breaking Bad vibes based on how they use music and subtle call backs and images in the back ground.  The writing, set prep, acting have all been phenomenal

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, sho said:

I know nothing about the game, friends talked me into watching as they knew I loved the first few seasons of Walking Dead and said this would be a show I would enjoy.   Hands down better than Walking Dead, great story, great acting.   And like you said episode three was flat out amazing.   Nick Offerman deserves best supporting actor for his role.   Amazing.   Seeing the meal at the end of the episode and looking out the window....

giphy.gif

Edit   This show is also giving me some Breaking Bad vibes based on how they use music and subtle call backs and images in the back ground.  The writing, set prep, acting have all been phenomenal

I just read the 1st cut was 2 hours. I kinda wish HBO had been gutsy enough to let them have it run that long. This was already a long episode though.

• Fire 1

On 1/30/2023 at 6:50 PM, Moiraine said:

I haven't played The Last of Us yet. I've watched the first 3 episodes of the show. Every episode has been really good, but the 3rd one would have been nominated for an Oscar Best Picture if it was a movie.

It was f#&%ing dusty as hell in my house when I watched episode 3. 

• Plus1 2

Watched a couple WWII movies on Netflix recently.

Narvik. Based on a true story, set in Norway. Enjoyed this one quite a bit and it was a fresh story. The battle for Narvik was actually Hitler’s first loss of the war. I thought some of the dialog and acting was a little off and didn’t particularly care where they went with the associated love story but it was a good flick.

Operation Mincemeat. Also based on a true story. This one was more about clandestine spy work and feeding Hitler disinformation. Well acted interesting story. I just wish they would’ve told a little better more complete story or focused a bit less on the love/affair story. It seemed a little choppy.  Worth the time though if you find the lengths and detail they went to fool Hitler interesting.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Operation Mincemeat. Also based on a true story. This one was more about clandestine spy work and feeding Hitler disinformation. Well acted interesting story. I just wish they would’ve told a little better more complete story or focused a bit less on the love/affair story. It seemed a little choppy.  Worth the time though if you find the lengths and detail they went to fool Hitler interesting.

I really liked this, but I agree the romance subplot was awkward and out of place. 

• Plus1 1

On 1/19/2023 at 7:22 PM, JJ Husker said:

Watched The Menu on HBO Max. I liked it and want to recommend it but you may not experience similar results :lol:  My wife didn’t like it and a guy at work I told to watch said he wanted 1 hr 45 minutes of his life back. It’s a little different but, like I said, I liked it. It’s definitely not boring.

Going back through this thread to get some ideas and ran across this, which reminded me of this interesting take on The Menu:

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Going back through this thread to get some ideas and ran across this, which reminded me of this interesting take on The Menu:

Those are definitely some parallels that did not occur to me. He might’ve stretched a bit but interesting nevertheless.