Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 4/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, Xmas32 said:

Caught John Wick 4 a couple days ago. If you like the John Wick series, you'll love it. It is shot beautifully and the violence is out of control. It is quite long, I think it clocks almost 2:45 but I barely noticed it. While I loved it and can't wait to watch it again, it is probably 45 minutes too long. The action sequences, while all awesome can get a bit tedious at times.

This post spurred me to watch the Wick series. I had seen John Wick once a long time ago but had avoided 2 & 3 because I figured it would just be gratuitous violence and senseless killing. I was wrong. While there is pleeenty of violence and killing the story is so much more than that and they are all shot crisply and beautifully. Sure much of it is beyond believability with a global association of seemingly endless assassins and safe houses with everyone honoring a set of rules and governance but it is a lot of fun. Glad I am up to date and looking forward to 4 and The Continental series.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

The last few weeks of Ted Lasso have been absolutely amazing.   it's so rare to see images of healthy, supporting, loving male relationships portrayed on screen and not just done for the lulz or gay innuendo or jokes.

I really hope they can stick the landing with the series finale and I know this will be a show I'll be able to re-watch ad nauseam.   Just a great show from start to finish, great laughs, hit the emotions just right, but IMO never over the top.   Just a beautifully crafted show that once gone will create a large void in the market for smart, healthy comedy.

• Haha 2
56 minutes ago, sho said:

The last few weeks of Ted Lasso have been absolutely amazing.   it's so rare to see images of healthy, supporting, loving male relationships portrayed on screen and not just done for the lulz or gay innuendo or jokes.

I really hope they can stick the landing with the series finale and I know this will be a show I'll be able to re-watch ad nauseam.   Just a great show from start to finish, great laughs, hit the emotions just right, but IMO never over the top.   Just a beautifully crafted show that once gone will create a large void in the market for smart, healthy comedy.

Wut

That's a very large percentage of shows and movies now a days.  It's actually way overdone IMO.  I'm fine with some of it but not every damn show/movie has to be woke af, often times at the expense of the storyline.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Wut

That's a very large percentage of shows and movies now a days.  It's actually way overdone IMO.  I'm fine with some of it but not every damn show/movie has to be woke af, often times at the expense of the storyline.  

what show(s) show healthy supporting loving male relationships, where they are not gay?  

And I don't see any show being over done with 'woke AF' and I'm not sure what your definition of it is, but I'm not seeing anything that resembles that at all.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, sho said:

what show(s) show healthy supporting loving male relationships, where they are not gay?  

And I don't see any show being over done with 'woke AF' and I'm not sure what your definition of it is, but I'm not seeing anything that resembles that at all.

You said "not just done for the lulz or gay innuendos or jokes".  There are numerous shows/movies where they just have to have a gay couple, regardless of if it supports the plotline and is certainly not for laughs.  Same with having a person of color, etc.  I have no problem with any of those things but please have it serve a purpose to the plot.  Often times it does not, it just gets interjected into there bc that's the "woke af" society we live in.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
56 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

You said "not just done for the lulz or gay innuendos or jokes".  There are numerous shows/movies where they just have to have a gay couple, regardless of if it supports the plotline and is certainly not for laughs.  Same with having a person of color, etc.  I have no problem with any of those things but please have it serve a purpose to the plot.  Often times it does not, it just gets interjected into there bc that's the "woke af" society we live in.

Does it matter if it serves the purpose of the plot to have a  character be a minority or have a specific sexual orientation?   These characters can just be characters and not be plot devices.  I have minority people and gay people in my office, they are just around.  It can be part of a show and they can be whatever because that's what they are.   Thinking they need to move the plot in some direction is .... well not good.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, sho said:

Does it matter if it serves the purpose of the plot to have a  character be a minority or have a specific sexual orientation?   These characters can just be characters and not be plot devices.  I have minority people and gay people in my office, they are just around.  It can be part of a show and they can be whatever because that's what they are.   Thinking they need to move the plot in some direction is .... well not good.

Yes.  It’s tiresome watching things for entertainment and for instance, there has to be a gay couple, that literally serve no purpose and actually in fact detract from the movie/show but HAVE to be in there bc god forbid they weren’t included in something.  That would be true hatred.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/26/2023 at 1:37 PM, RedSavage said:

So Black people should only be in shows if it serves the plot. K.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
On 5/26/2023 at 3:55 PM, RedSavage said:

Yes.  It’s tiresome watching things for entertainment and for instance, there has to be a gay couple, that literally serve no purpose and actually in fact detract from the movie/show but HAVE to be in there bc god forbid they weren’t included in something.  That would be true hatred.  

And this is season 2 of Ted Lasso. Instead of two guys being gay they nominated a supporting actress to get turnt. For no reason.  

season 2 is a disaster. Season one was genius 

14 hours ago, krc1995 said:

And this is season 2 of Ted Lasso. Instead of two guys being gay they nominated a supporting actress to get turnt. For no reason.  

season 2 is a disaster. Season one was genius 

If you are referring to Keeley, she was bi the entire time.   She mentioned it in season one when talking to Rebecca.

I somehow missed "Palm Springs" that dropped on Hulu back in 2020 during Covid.

It's a really fun watch, stars Andy Samberg and Cristin Miloti (sp?)--the mother from How I Met Your Mother and Leo's first wife from Wolf Of Wall Street. 

It's Groundhog Day mixed with some Sci-Fi concepts and a sprinkle of Rom/Com. It had some laugh out loud moments, was surprisingly deep and sweet as well. Couldn't recommend it more.