Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

• 3 weeks later...

I broke my collarbone last year and started watching 'Cheers' while I was drugged up and stuck on the couch.

11 Seasons (285 Episodes) later and I'm finally finished.

I was born in 1991 so the series started way before my time, but I'm always interested in television shows that are met with critical acclaim. It started with watching Seinfeld reruns late at night when I was younger. Once I grew to appreciate what the show was, I went back and watched the entire series from the start and now it's one of my favorite shows ever. Cheers, while very witty and entertaining, it wasn't quite as relatable as Larry David made Seinfeld feel. Norm and Cliff were funny enough characters, but nobody I've ever seen on television can hold a candle to George Costanza (except maybe Larry David himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm).

Overall I really enjoyed Cheers and understood why it's considered to be one of the greatest TV shows of all-time.

It only makes sense that I follow it up with its even more successful spin-off show, 'Frasier'. I found Kelsey Grammar to be very funny in Cheers and am interested to see what he did that put the show in such high regard among the critics. I've never seen a single episode, but from what I've gathered from Wikipedia, it may be the greatest sitcom of all-time.

From 1994 to 1998, Frasier won 5 straight Emmy Awards for Most Outstanding Comedy Series, giving the show more Emmys in that category than any other show in history. I think it's safe to say that it must be a pretty funny show.

• Fire 1

I broke my collarbone last year and started watching 'Cheers' while I was drugged up and stuck on the couch.

11 Seasons (285 Episodes) later and I'm finally finished.

I was born in 1991 so the series started way before my time, but I'm always interested in television shows that are met with critical acclaim. It started with watching Seinfeld reruns late at night when I was younger. Once I grew to appreciate what the show was, I went back and watched the entire series from the start and now it's one of my favorite shows ever. Cheers, while very witty and entertaining, it wasn't quite as relatable as Larry David made Seinfeld feel. Norm and Cliff were funny enough characters, but nobody I've ever seen on television can hold a candle to George Costanza (except maybe Larry David himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm).

Overall I really enjoyed Cheers and understood why it's considered to be one of the greatest TV shows of all-time.

It only makes sense that I follow it up with its even more successful spin-off show, 'Frasier'. I found Kelsey Grammar to be very funny in Cheers and am interested to see what he did that put the show in such high regard among the critics. I've never seen a single episode, but from what I've gathered from Wikipedia, it may be the greatest sitcom of all-time.

From 1994 to 1998, Frasier won 5 straight Emmy Awards for Most Outstanding Comedy Series, giving the show more Emmys in that category than any other show in history. I think it's safe to say that it must be a pretty funny show.

One interesting thing that Cheers did was use the "absentee" character. Norm's wife is mentioned in nearly every episode, but never seen. (Or does she make an appearance at some point? I can't remember.) She's practically a character in the show since she's mentioned so often. The show Frasier did the same thing with Niles' ex-wife, Maris.

I thought the absentee character was a cool little plot device. I'm sure it's been used before. I just can't think of any examples, other than Frank's wife from M*A*S*H. But M*A*S*H didn't mention Frank's wife nearly as often as Cheers or Frasier.

Was looking through Netflix last night and came across Lilyhammer. Anyone watched this show at all? It's a Netflix only show.

Yeah, I watched the first season. Pretty good series. Not great, but good. Worth watching. IMO.

Was looking through Netflix last night and came across Lilyhammer. Anyone watched this show at all? It's a Netflix only show.

Yeah, I watched the first season. Pretty good series. Not great, but good. Worth watching. IMO.

Nice might have to watch it then. I did see that season 2 is out so that is a bonus that I will be able to watch multiple seasons to get a good feel for it.

• 5 weeks later...

Nice might have to watch it then. I did see that season 2 is out so that is a bonus that I will be able to watch multiple seasons to get a good feel for it.

Just finished shotgunning Season 2, and it's a fun 'fish out of water' romp. Plus, another two Sopranos alums show back up in the season finale...not to mention, the Sopranos opening credits shot itself... :)

And Season 3 is confirmed and will begin filming shortly. Big deal for Norway--this show has given them the best ratings of all time for a series, and the biggest budget ($20 million) for a series season ever.

---

What kind of series are on Netflix, and how easy is it to use? Anyone have any regrets about Netflix?

Netflix has original series (of note: Orange is the New Black, Lilyhammer, Season 4 of Arrested Development, and the award-winning House of Cards), has Showtime shows (including all of Weeds, Dexter, and now Californication), NBC and Fox television, movies from Disney, Dreamworks, and more.

All in all, it's a great service, and there's a lot worth watching on it. Plus, Netflix is looking to become the next HBO--they're inking deals for more original programming, and doing a good job with it too.

No regrets--it's only $8/mo for streaming only. That's 1.75 coffees from Starbucks or Scooters. :) It's easy to use--just use a game console, Smart TV, or Roku Box, and all you have to do is download the app, put your credentials in, and you're good to go. *AND* you get a free month when you sign up to test the waters.

Also...for an added kick...if you already shop Amazon.com, pony up for Prime--it's $80/yr, and you get unlimited two-day shipping...but also access to their streaming service which is taking shape as a good alternative to Netflix. Even has good original series (Alphas with John Goodman) worth stopping down for too.