Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

Going to have to get caught up on Chernobyl tonight. Ep 1 & 2 were really good and it sounds like 3 & 4 continue the trend.

I would highly recommend Sharp Objects series on HBO. Fairly dark drama, very reminiscent of True Detective s1. It's a pretty short binge, 8 or 10 episodes.

Finished the second season of The Tick. Probably better than the first season overall, not so heavily focused on Arthur. Started off kinda slow, though, and didn't feel as high-stakes. Still feels like a show that's good, but hasn't quite reached its full potential. Amazon canceled it, so we'll probably never see where it could have went.

10 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Yea, episode 4 was beyond bleak; I had to pause it multiple times, particularly the revelation at the very end in which I was watching while feeding my 6 month old her bedtime bottle. 

I wanted to know everything so I googled her a few days ago and knew what had happened. Her husband’s death was portrayed like she described (actually it was a little worse than what they showed). I’ve decided I don’t want to die like that.

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I wanted to know everything so I googled her a few days ago and knew what had happened. Her husband’s death was portrayed like she described (actually it was a little worse than what they showed). I’ve decided I don’t want to die like that.

If you're watching it, I highly recommend listening to the podcasts that follow the show; the writer/creator goes in depth with some of the decisions made for the show, and just how much worse things were. There's one focused on each episode, and they're available on YouTube; here's episode 1: 

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

If you're watching it, I highly recommend listening to the podcasts that follow the show; the writer/creator goes in depth with some of the decisions made for the show, and just how much worse things were. There's one focused on each episode, and they're available on YouTube; here's episode 1: 

I'm not sure why but it's so tempting for me to visit. I'm gonna be a less than 4 hour drive away. But the friend I'm gonna be with doesn't have the same morbid curiosity I have.

Listening to the show's producer recount his visit to Chernobyl is pretty remarkable. I don't know if I'd actually visit given the opportunity, though it seems they control the process and keep it about as safe as one could keep a radioactive area. The idea of being able to walk inside the other reactor buildings, and even see the control rooms, is fascinating to me.

One thing I really appreciated from the podcast was the producer acknowledging how important it was to constantly remind himself (and the crew/actors) that Chernobyl didn't really mean anything when the incident happened. It didn't have the same connotation it holds today. It's easy for us as viewers to sit there and say 'what, are you crazy, you need to get the hell out of there!' It's easy to think these people were making horrendously stupid decisions, but much of that is through the benefit of hindsight. A lot of these people were just trying to do their jobs and stick to their values; or, they just simply didn't know any better.

• Fire 1
32 minutes ago, GSG said:

Talk about a show that's been gone for a while

I'm so excited for this.

Totally anecdotal, but I feel like this show doesn't get enough credit. IMO it's one of the best Netflix exclusives and I'd put it up there with just about any other streaming service show right now. The story is well written, the sound editing and mixing are fantastic, and I just love the whole murky mood of it all.

I love this. Russia's response to HBO's Chernobyl mini series is their own tv series about two fictional characters playing out a theory that there may have been a CIA agent at the plant when the explosion occurred; though, they admit nobody has ever been able to prove that this possible 'servant of the enemy' had anything to do with the explosion.

If that's not the most Russian thing you've ever heard...

Quote from the story

“Why are you surprised?,” the director, Muradov told Komsomolskaya Pravda. “The hypothesis about American interference in the work of the Chernobyl power station exists. Many histories don’t rule out that on the day of the explosion an agent of the enemy security services was working at the station. Till this day it has not be established whether his activity was connected with the explosion.”

9 hours ago, Enhance said:

I love this. Russia's response to HBO's Chernobyl mini series is their own tv series about two fictional characters playing out a theory that there may have been a CIA agent at the plant when the explosion occurred; though, they admit nobody has ever been able to prove that this possible 'servant of the enemy' had anything to do with the explosion.

If that's not the most Russian thing you've ever heard...

Quote from the story

They’re run by a bunch of guys who grew up in and want it to still be the Soviet Union. I’ve read a bit about it and they ban teachers from teaching the truth about certain topics.