Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

Honestly, I can't believe I've gone 30 years of life and don't remember ever hearing of this guy before. He's like... THE most epic whistleblower on the U.S. government's research and experimentation with alien spacecraft. And, a lot of his story has been corroborated throughout the years despite a lot of back lash, death threats, and attempts to discredit him.

The documentary is decent, but Joe Rogan also just did a podcast with him recently, and I thought the podcast was a bit better of a listen. Either way, if you dig UFO's or just want to hear a fascinating story (I watched it for the latter reason), I highly recommend this. It's on Netflix.

On 6/16/2019 at 3:25 PM, NM11046 said:

Dead to Me on Netflix is one I've gotten into ... love me some Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini.  Lots of little twists make it more than a dark comedy.

Pretty good show, my wife and I just finished watching it over about a 3 day period.  I like dark comedy.  It sure seem like Applegate plays a lot of characters that are rather unlikable.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done with Stranger Things 3 episode 4.

Good season so far. My only complaint is the hormonal stuff, even though it's realistic. It's just not as fun to watch the kids when they're obsessing over that stuff. Also I don't like Eleven changing a lot, especially not to be more like Max. Mike liked Eleven for who she was.

I feel bad for Will. He missed a good chunk of the last years of being a kid and it seems like he's trying to get them back.

I assume the mini mindflayer thing is a part of the Mindflayer. But a lot more of a part than the demodogs are. It must be an extension of the Mindflayer, like a body part maybe? Except it looks just like him but smaller. 

If that's the case I think the end of the season will be them killing the mini mindflayer, but the Mindflayer will still be there in the Upside Down. Then I think Season 4 and/or Season 5 will have them taking the fight to the Upside Down and destroying him (and possibly the Upside Down) once and for all. I hope they know when to end it. I think it shouldn't go longer than 5 seasons, max.

22 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Just got done with Stranger Things 3 episode 4.

Reveal hidden contents

Good season so far. My only complaint is the hormonal stuff, even though it's realistic. It's just not as fun to watch the kids when they're obsessing over that stuff. Also I don't like Eleven changing a lot, especially not to be more like Max. Mike liked Eleven for who she was.

I feel bad for Will. He missed a good chunk of the last years of being a kid and it seems like he's trying to get them back.

I assume the mini mindflayer thing is a part of the Mindflayer. But a lot more of a part than the demodogs are. It must be an extension of the Mindflayer, like a body part maybe? Except it looks just like him but smaller. 

If that's the case I think the end of the season will be them killing the mini mindflayer, but the Mindflayer will still be there in the Upside Down. Then I think Season 4 and/or Season 5 will have them taking the fight to the Upside Down and destroying him (and possibly the Upside Down) once and for all. I hope they know when to end it. I think it shouldn't go longer than 5 seasons, max.

I just finished season 3. I was worried that the cast getting older would sort of ruin things but it didn't.

Spoiler

I still don't care for the Mike character. For the time period, these kids are only slightly younger than me so I can relate to the era pretty well but I've always struggled the most with Mike. I guess I just didn't know anyone like him....or Will, but I can accept Will being off a bit because of what he's been through.  Really I didn't hang with any kids remotely as nerdy as these but I can still see shades of kids I knew in most of the other characters.

My favorites from s3 are Erica, Alexia and Jim's conspiracy theory buddy. It would've been pretty pedestrian without those 3 imo. Wynona and Hopper were solid again as well as Steve H. and his coworker gal pal. I can't figure out if they're going to do a 4th season or not. They closed the door pretty well on all the existing characters but did leave things open for continuing if they choose to. Feels like it might get quite awkward if they do another with the same base cast.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I just finished season 3. I was worried that the cast getting older would sort of ruin things but it didn't.

Reveal hidden contents

I still don't care for the Mike character. For the time period, these kids are only slightly younger than me so I can relate to the era pretty well but I've always struggled the most with Mike. I guess I just didn't know anyone like him....or Will, but I can accept Will being off a bit because of what he's been through.  Really I didn't hang with any kids remotely as nerdy as these but I can still see shades of kids I knew in most of the other characters.

My favorites from s3 are Erica, Alexia and Jim's conspiracy theory buddy. It would've been pretty pedestrian without those 3 imo. Wynona and Hopper were solid again as well as Steve H. and his coworker gal pal. I can't figure out if they're going to do a 4th season or not. They closed the door pretty well on all the existing characters but did leave things open for continuing if they choose to. Feels like it might get quite awkward if they do another with the same base cast.

I take it

you didn't watch the scene in the credits. There's gonna be a Season 4.

As far as whether there should be though, I don't think Season 3 would make a good ending to the story. The Upside Down still exists, the big bad guy still exists. We don't know whether Eleven's powers are gone for good - if it was a real ending they could've/would've made clear the powers were gone, imo. Also, it doesn't seem Stranger Things-like to have it end on such a melancholy note.

I'm not sure what you mean by awkward, I can only assume you mean the kids' ages. But they can have them be in high school. They're 14/15/16 right now (they were 13/14/15 during Season 3). Like I said I think 4 or 5 should be the final scene, so it should be over soon, but Season 3 didn't feel like an end to me.

Anyway, on Hopper - just a nitpick, they could have done his death better. I think it was about time a main character died, so I was fine with it, it's just that he was like a 5 second jog from getting behind the window. There should have been something really stopping him from getting there. Also, there weren't soldiers in Joyce's line of sight. There wasn't an apparent reason she had to do it RIGHT THAT SECOND. They could've had the Russian Arnold still alive, and Hopper not able to take him down, and screaming at Joyce to pull the trigger as the Russians are pounding on the door behind her.

Lastly, I think it would be fun if in the end Chernobyl was caused by the fight with the Upside Down.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Hide contents

I think the "nerd" thing is what hollywood thinks is in at the moment so they really sort of ham it up right now.  Just like when shows would totally go crazy with the dumb jock or the hot airhead...

So I think that is why you (and me) see shades of kids we knew in them.

34 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think the "nerd" thing is what hollywood thinks is in at the moment so they really sort of ham it up right now.  Just like when shows would totally go crazy with the dumb jock or the hot airhead...

So I think that is why you (and me) see shades of kids we knew in them.

Ya, they're exaggerations. Plus they want there to be a lot of nostalgia to hook people so they're having the kids interested in every single nerdy thing that existed back then.

35 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I take it

Hide contents

you didn't watch the scene in the credits. There's gonna be a Season 4.

As far as whether there should be though, I don't think Season 3 would make a good ending to the story. The Upside Down still exists, the big bad guy still exists. We don't know whether Eleven's powers are gone for good - if it was a real ending they could've/would've made clear the powers were gone, imo. Also, it doesn't seem Stranger Things-like to have it end on such a melancholy note.

I'm not sure what you mean by awkward, I can only assume you mean the kids' ages. But they can have them be in high school. They're 14/15/16 right now (they were 13/14/15 during Season 3). Like I said I think 4 or 5 should be the final scene, so it should be over soon, but Season 3 didn't feel like an end to me.

Anyway, on Hopper - just a nitpick, they could have done his death better. I think it was about time a main character died, so I was fine with it, it's just that he was like a 5 second jog from getting behind the window. There should have been something really stopping him from getting there. Also, there weren't soldiers in Joyce's line of sight. There wasn't an apparent reason she had to do it RIGHT THAT SECOND. They could've had the Russian Arnold still alive, and Hopper not able to take him down, and screaming at Joyce to pull the trigger as the Russians are pounding on the door behind her.

Lastly, I think it would be fun if in the end Chernobyl was caused by the fight with the Upside Down.

Spoiler

Oh I saw the scene in the final credits. I guess for me that was the only thing that indicated there would likely be another season. Although it could just be meant to leave you with a weird feeling that it isn't gone. But I think you're right, there will be more to come. It just doesn't seem like it can be the same show without Hopper and the thing between him and Wynona. It's kind of like they totally wrapped about half the characters but left stuff wide open on others. I just found myself not really caring any longer about Mike or Will. TBH Mike is just too weird looking and wimpy for my taste. Somebody get that boy a haircut that doesn't involve an oversized cereal bowl :lol:

24 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Hide contents

Oh I saw the scene in the final credits. I guess for me that was the only thing that indicated there would likely be another season. Although it could just be meant to leave you with a weird feeling that it isn't gone. But I think you're right, there will be more to come. It just doesn't seem like it can be the same show without Hopper and the thing between him and Wynona. It's kind of like they totally wrapped about half the characters but left stuff wide open on others. I just found myself not really caring any longer about Mike or Will. TBH Mike is just too weird looking and wimpy for my taste. Somebody get that boy a haircut that doesn't involve an oversized cereal bowl :lol:

On hair, I totally agree. I had that exact thought about Will. I know it was the 80s but it’s time for something slightly less dorky. Give one of them a normal haircut plus a rat tail :). Not EVERY kid had a bowl cut.

I don’t think those are really the mains anymore though, if they ever were. I like the adults, + Steve and Dustin the best, then Eleven. Although some of her scenes earlier in the season were kind of annoying.

I'm only through episode five of Stranger Things S3, but for those of you who have seen up to that point, and without spoiling anything from the episodes I haven't seen:

Spoiler

did you find it odd that the human flayed appear to share pain and damage when attacked? That didn't appear to be a concern with the Demo-dogs in season two, yet they were both described as having a sort of shared conscience with the Mind Flayer.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:22 PM, Enhance said:

I'm only through episode five of Stranger Things S3, but for those of you who have seen up to that point, and without spoiling anything from the episodes I haven't seen:

Hide contents

did you find it odd that the human flayed appear to share pain and damage when attacked? That didn't appear to be a concern with the Demo-dogs in season two, yet they were both described as having a sort of shared conscience with the Mind Flayer.

It happened with Will in 2nd season though. Guessing they'll never explain how the connection with the dogs are different

• Thanks 1

Has Good Omens on Amazon not been mentioned here? It should be. Miniseries based on a novel by Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman, starring Michael Sheen and David Tennant. About an angel and a demon involved in a mixup with the rise of the Antichrist and the end of the world, which they've grown rather fond of...

PDJT89z.png

• Plus1 1
On 7/6/2019 at 3:14 PM, JJ Husker said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I just finished it.  My wife is convinced Hopper is still alive.  He is in Russia in the prison.  The “American”.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:23 AM, Enhance said:

Honestly, I can't believe I've gone 30 years of life and don't remember ever hearing of this guy before. He's like... THE most epic whistleblower on the U.S. government's research and experimentation with alien spacecraft. And, a lot of his story has been corroborated throughout the years despite a lot of back lash, death threats, and attempts to discredit him.

The documentary is decent, but Joe Rogan also just did a podcast with him recently, and I thought the podcast was a bit better of a listen. Either way, if you dig UFO's or just want to hear a fascinating story (I watched it for the latter reason), I highly recommend this. It's on Netflix.

Watched this one and another one about UFO's called Unacknowledged. If you liked Bob Mazar and the subject matter, I'm sure you would enjoy Unacknowledged. Pretty hard to watch those two shows and not come away pretty convinced we're not alone. 

I don't know much about this recent Facebook group of near half a million people planning to rush Area 51 but I would guess these two shows are highly responsible.