Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 7/9/2019 at 1:04 PM, Toe said:

Has Good Omens on Amazon not been mentioned here? It should be. Miniseries based on a novel by Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman, starring Michael Sheen and David Tennant. About an angel and a demon involved in a mixup with the rise of the Antichrist and the end of the world, which they've grown rather fond of...

PDJT89z.png

I was only able to make it through three episodes. I haven't been this disappointed in a genre show in a long, long time. 

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Watched this one and another one about UFO's called Unacknowledged. If you liked Bob Mazar and the subject matter, I'm sure you would enjoy Unacknowledged. Pretty hard to watch those two shows and not come away pretty convinced we're not alone. 

I don't know much about this recent Facebook group of near half a million people planning to rush Area 51 but I would guess these two shows are highly responsible.

Thanks for the tip on that. I'll definitely check it out.

I think you're spot on about that rush event, too. The timing is too coincidental to be unrelated.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:27 PM, Moiraine said:

I take it

Hide contents

Anyway, on Hopper - just a nitpick, they could have done his death better. I think it was about time a main character died, so I was fine with it, it's just that he was like a 5 second jog from getting behind the window. There should have been something really stopping him from getting there. Also, there weren't soldiers in Joyce's line of sight. There wasn't an apparent reason she had to do it RIGHT THAT SECOND. They could've had the Russian Arnold still alive, and Hopper not able to take him down, and screaming at Joyce to pull the trigger as the Russians are pounding on the door behind her.

Lastly, I think it would be fun if in the end Chernobyl was caused by the fight with the Upside Down.

A few thoughts:

Spoiler

I just finished the season last night and, IIRC, the machine breaks and starts arcing energy in a perfect barrier between Hopper and the window. There's one quick wide shot after this happens where they show the barrier is essentially taking up the whole room. So, I thought they set it up as if there's absolutely nowhere for him to go and avoid the blast radius?

Ultimately, though, if it does turn out that he's 'the American' in that prison cell, clearly there was a safe place for him to go and it kinda makes the whole thing a bit ridiculous.

To your and @JJ Husker's discussion, I think they'll have to do a S4. The ending was like you said far too melancholy: the friend group is having to split up, Mike and El are heartbroken over the move, Nancy and Jonathan are heartbroken, Hop's 'dead.' There's no real closure for anything. And a new Demogorgon being in a cage somewhere is sort of low-interest at this point. It must hint at something bigger but we don't know what that is.

(I also sort of think it sucks that Will's mom felt leaving was the best thing to do. I get it from her perspective, and it's probably safer for Will, but it sure is tearing a lot of people up).

29 minutes ago, Enhance said:

A few thoughts:

Hide contents

I just finished the season last night and, IIRC, the machine breaks and starts arcing energy in a perfect barrier between Hopper and the window. There's one quick wide shot after this happens where they show the barrier is essentially taking up the whole room. So, I thought they set it up as if there's absolutely nowhere for him to go and avoid the blast radius?

Ultimately, though, if it does turn out that he's 'the American' in that prison cell, clearly there was a safe place for him to go and it kinda makes the whole thing a bit ridiculous.

To your and @JJ Husker's discussion, I think they'll have to do a S4. The ending was like you said far too melancholy: the friend group is having to split up, Mike and El are heartbroken over the move, Nancy and Jonathan are heartbroken, Hop's 'dead.' There's no real closure for anything. And a new Demogorgon being in a cage somewhere is sort of low-interest at this point. It must hint at something bigger but we don't know what that is.

(I also sort of think it sucks that Will's mom felt leaving was the best thing to do. I get it from her perspective, and it's probably safer for Will, but it sure is tearing a lot of people up).

I didn’t notice that at all so I’ll have to rewatch.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:19 AM, Enhance said:

A few thoughts:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I dont think Hopper is dead. I get they kill off 2nd tier characters but the show loses a bit that all the main characters are kept around.

I believe I read Hopper is signed on for 4 seasons, so I would assume he makes an appearance even if its just for flashbacks.

I liked season 3 but I think they need to take a slightly different route for season 4. Seems like El losing her powers might be a focal point and the disconnect in the group of friends due to changing focuses. 

Stranger Things is a bit of a cash cow for Netflix so I assume they will run it into the ground until it doesnt keep subscriptions or merchandise a flowing. 

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:
  Hide contents

I dont think Hopper is dead. I get they kill off 2nd tier characters but the show loses a bit that all the main characters are kept around.

I believe I read Hopper is signed on for 4 seasons, so I would assume he makes an appearance even if its just for flashbacks.

I liked season 3 but I think they need to take a slightly different route for season 4. Seems like El losing her powers might be a focal point and the disconnect in the group of friends due to changing focuses. 

Stranger Things is a bit of a cash cow for Netflix so I assume they will run it into the ground until it doesnt keep subscriptions or merchandise a flowing. 

Spoiler

I think you make some poignant points here, particularly points three and four. I think they need to go back to their roots a little bit more. Two of the best parts about season one were 1) the mysterious tone of just about every episode and anything related to The Upside Down and 2) the sort of raw, youthful energy of these innocent kids. Obviously, with the kids growing up, it's only natural to have to have that element of the show change. But, it feels like S3's plot was spoon fed to the audience too much and, in some ways, almost too outrageous/comical. Personally, the idea of humans gorging on fertilizer and then literally melting into a gigantic Mind Flayer was like... lolwut?

Also, I believe Stranger Things is the single most profitable Netflix show ever, and with all the new streaming services out there now (or soon to launch), I agree that they're going to milk this baby for all it's worth. They're going to be losing quite a bit of content soon because of Disney's streaming service so they've got step things up a notch.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:
  Hide contents

I think you make some poignant points here, particularly points three and four. I think they need to go back to their roots a little bit more. Two of the best parts about season one were 1) the mysterious tone of just about every episode and anything related to The Upside Down and 2) the sort of raw, youthful energy of these innocent kids. Obviously, with the kids growing up, it's only natural to have to have that element of the show change. But, it feels like S3's plot was spoon fed to the audience too much and, in some ways, almost too outrageous/comical. Personally, the idea of humans gorging on fertilizer and then literally melting into a gigantic Mind Flayer was like... lolwut?

Also, I believe Stranger Things is the single most profitable Netflix show ever, and with all the new streaming services out there now (or soon to launch), I agree that they're going to milk this baby for all it's worth. They're going to be losing quite a bit of content soon because of Disney's streaming service so they've got step things up a notch.

Spoiler

Agreed. Shows like Stranger Things have unique content that allows us to get entrenched in a new world but the problem is it loses the "new" factor and comes down to whether the show is good or if its fluff. Orange is the new black was that way for me. The first 2 seasons were good but then they tried FAR too hard. I think its ok to end a show after a season or two if you have succeeded in telling a story.

I still liked season 3 but could start to feel myself losing a bit of the connection. They tried really hard with the Max character to be a bit of the anti-mike while still having El's best interest at heart. 

Season 1 was this group of friends working together but now it feels like all the factions were just ploys by the writers to try and build different relationships that take away from what it started.... That can be ok if you focus on certain characters stories or the idea that as kids age they grow apart but still to your point lost a bit of what it was.

I didnt think about the "outrageous" factor of someone eating fertilizer, but you are right... It is really stupid.

I allow myself to not overthink the show too much because it is obviously a fairly crazy/out there topic to start with, but as I sit and type I do think the plot holes are becoming more glaring.

I sort of wish they would have put a nice bow on the show. Too many shows milk the cash cow till it is dead(Dexter) instead of letting us leave on a high(Breaking Bad).

I keep having these YouTube video clips pop up called Off Camera with Sam Jones, and I watched one of the Will Ferrell ones, and it fascinated me because I have seen Will Ferrell on talk shows several times and I have never once seen him be himself, but he was himself in this one. Every interview I've ever seen with him, he did a bit. I'm not a huge fan of him but I've always kinda wanted to see what he's actually like because you can never tell from his interviews. I felt like Robin Williams was the same way. Maybe not so much that he was playing a part but in interviews he was always extremely hyper and just going for laughs the entire time.

So then I decided to try to find out the full interview and it's a show on Netflix. There are 3 season so far.

• Fire 1
On 7/9/2019 at 12:04 PM, Toe said:

Has Good Omens on Amazon not been mentioned here? It should be. Miniseries based on a novel by Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman, starring Michael Sheen and David Tennant. About an angel and a demon involved in a mixup with the rise of the Antichrist and the end of the world, which they've grown rather fond of...

PDJT89z.png

On 7/14/2019 at 9:56 PM, Cdog923 said:

I was only able to make it through three episodes. I haven't been this disappointed in a genre show in a long, long time. 

I thought it was pretty swell. The 2 main characters did a great job and I got a kick out of Jon Hamm as Gabriel. Reminded me a bit of Rapturepalooza. I'd recommend watching it...only 6 episodes I believe.

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I keep having these YouTube video clips pop up called Off Camera with Sam Jones, and I watched one of the Will Ferrell ones, and it fascinated me because I have seen Will Ferrell on talk shows several times and I have never once seen him be himself, but he was himself in this one. Every interview I've ever seen with him, he did a bit. I'm not a huge fan of him but I've always kinda wanted to see what he's actually like because you can never tell from his interviews. I felt like Robin Williams was the same way. Maybe not so much that he was playing a part but in interviews he was always extremely hyper and just going for laughs the entire time.

So then I decided to try to find out the full interview and it's a show on Netflix. There are 3 season so far.

I really, really enjoy Sam Jones interviews; he always gets his interviewees to relax, open up and give thoughtful answers. Three seasons are on Netflix, but his newer interviews are on offcamera.com. You have to pay for the videos, but the podcasts are free.