Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 10/12/2019 at 4:59 PM, Moiraine said:

I don't expect actors to stay skinny forever, 'cause they're real people. But in El Camino

Hide contents

Todd looks like he's had botox injections in his face.

With Jesse it wasn't as noticeable because he gained 10-15 pounds over the course of Breaking Bad, and looks pretty close to what he did at the end.

Then there's Bryan Cranston who doesn't seem to have aged much. I almost thought they had just found some old footage, but Jesse had aged so it was clearly a newly shot scene.

Yeah, I almost thought that Todd was like a CGI thing or something.  

8 hours ago, NUance said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi_y3TV6_BPIZQSedRhTQmpTM2I8tnpdzPg_BVYGHi0HTFkzdf

The Departed.  Such an awesome movie.  I rewatched it tonight on Netflix.  I'd forgotten how great this movie is.  

Cool story - they filmed some of the movie in the town I lived in in Boston (Charlestown).  They paid a friend of a friend to use their condo/home as a location for a few months during the shoot.  During that time they did some remodeling for the movie and when the people moved back in all the stars had signed a wall in their closet.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Cool story - they filmed some of the movie in the town I lived in in Boston (Charlestown).  They paid a friend of a friend to use their condo/home as a location for a few months during the shoot.  During that time they did some remodeling for the movie and when the people moved back in all the stars had signed a wall in their closet.

That is cool. 

This was a great movie, but it messed me up for a while. When it came out, I was still doing undercover work (corporate investigations, not police), so I totally identified with Leo's character. Then when it seemed like he was gonna win, he gets his head blown off. I was devastated for days after that scene.

29 minutes ago, Ulty said:

That is cool. 

This was a great movie, but it messed me up for a while. When it came out, I was still doing undercover work (corporate investigations, not police), so I totally identified with Leo's character. Then when it seemed like he was gonna win, he gets his head blown off. I was devastated for days after that scene.

You mother f#&%in rat!

That should be in Joe Pesci's voice.  Ha

47 minutes ago, Ulty said:

That is cool. 

I need to watch it again - with a lot of the Boston movies I spend so much time looking at what they do right and what gets overdone (i.e the accent) that I don't fully appreciate the storyline.  

Can Martin Scorsese do anything wrong? (the answer is no)

4 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I need to watch it again - with a lot of the Boston movies I spend so much time looking at what they do right and what gets overdone (i.e the accent) that I don't fully appreciate the storyline.  

Can Martin Scorsese do anything wrong? (the answer is no)

The guy should have won like 10 oscars already!  Everything he directs/writes is great!

They sort of treated Paul Newman that way too...everything he acted in he was amazing...yet they kept passing him over for Oscars.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The guy should have won like 10 oscars already!  Everything he directs/writes is great!

They sort of treated Paul Newman that way too...everything he acted in he was amazing...yet they kept passing him over for Oscars.

He's actually won a fair number, including the Oscar for The Departed.  Not all that he's deserved, but he definitely gets the recognition on nominations.  (too many to cut and paste here)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000217/awards

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

He's actually won a fair number, including the Oscar for The Departed.  Not all that he's deserved, but he definitely gets the recognition on nominations.  (too many to cut and paste here)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000217/awards

Goodfellas was a no brainer but somehow he only got a nomination.  

The academy people do such a crappy job sometimes.

38 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Goodfellas was a no brainer but somehow he only got a nomination.  

The academy people do such a crappy job sometimes.

I think he lost to Oliver Stone for Born of the 4th of July that year which is a tough call because I'm partial to Goodfellas although I can't deny that Born is also a really good movie and Oliver Stone was on an absolute heater for 5 years with Platoon, Wall Street, Talk Radio, The Doors, JFK and Born.

Saw the trailer for The Laundromat with Meryl Streep and Gary Oldman oh and it's directed by Steven Soderbergh?  Yeah, I'm ALLLL INNNNNNNN baby

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 10/23/2019 at 8:34 AM, NM11046 said:

We were in Boston for the first time over the summer. I was hugely disappointed that most everyone had a pretty basic American accent. I don't think I heard half a dozen people sound like they do in the movies.