Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

Randomly fired up Train to Busan on Netflix last night since I saw it was leaving the platform at the end of August.  I've probably looked at the movie at least a dozen times over the past year and never pulled the trigger.  It was a really, really pleasant surprise.  It's a Korean zombie apocalypse movie.  Similar setup to World War Z in terms of the way it's shot except it packs a much, much bigger emotional component.  There is also a little bit of an underlying class structure setup aka Snowpiercer.  Movie is in subtitles but the dialogue is relatively minimal so it shouldn't be a distraction.  Would definitely recommend it.

• Thanks 1
On 8/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, Xmas32 said:

Randomly fired up Train to Busan on Netflix last night since I saw it was leaving the platform at the end of August.  I've probably looked at the movie at least a dozen times over the past year and never pulled the trigger.  It was a really, really pleasant surprise.  It's a Korean zombie apocalypse movie.  Similar setup to World War Z in terms of the way it's shot except it packs a much, much bigger emotional component.  There is also a little bit of an underlying class structure setup aka Snowpiercer.  Movie is in subtitles but the dialogue is relatively minimal so it shouldn't be a distraction.  Would definitely recommend it.

A very good choice. I watched it some time ago.

There is an animated sequel (or prequel?) on Netflix as well I've been meaning to get to.

• Plus1 1

Color me very skeptical:

Loved ‘Game of Thrones’? Get Ready for This Major New Netflix Series from the Same Masterminds

If you loved Game of Thrones, feast your eyes on the next best thing to the highly anticipated prequel.

GoT creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are re-teaming up to develop an all-new adaptation of a popular science fiction trilogy. The series will be based on Chinese author Liu Cixin’s The Three-Body Problem, which introduces viewers to an alternate history.

“Liu Cixin’s trilogy is the most ambitious science-fiction series we’ve read, taking readers on a journey from the 1960s until the end of time, from life on our pale blue dot to the distant fringes of the universe,” Benioff and Weiss said in a statement, according to USA Today. “We look forward to spending the next years of our lives bringing this to life for audiences around the world.”

• 2 weeks later...

Watched most of this tonight with my wife

Pretty sad and pretty f#&%ing scary

ETA: I missed the first half, but this show is basically interviewing all of these tech people, many of whom were creators/developers of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., and how they've come to realize that the technologies have turned people and their minds into a currency. They talk a lot about how there is so much false information out there and how the algorithms spread false information at 6x the rate of factual info. They talk about how this leads to radicalization of the populace. It's a little terrifying. I actually deleted Facebook after we finished it. 

Edited by GSG
  • Plus1 1
On 9/14/2020 at 9:28 PM, GSG said:

ETA: I missed the first half, but this show is basically interviewing all of these tech people, many of whom were creators/developers of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., and how they've come to realize that the technologies have turned people and their minds into a currency. They talk a lot about how there is so much false information out there and how the algorithms spread false information at 6x the rate of factual info. They talk about how this leads to radicalization of the populace. It's a little terrifying. I actually deleted Facebook after we finished it. 

Much obliged for posting @GSG, trailer looks very interesting.  I'll definitely check this out.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:28 PM, GSG said:

11 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Much obliged for posting @GSG, trailer looks very interesting.  I'll definitely check this out.

I watched it tonight. This is mandatory viewing for anyone who wants to see the human race survive for at least a few more generations. That may be a little hyperbolic....but maybe not.

I've been saying for quite awhile that social media, smart phones etc. are significantly negatively impacting society. I had no idea how correct I was or how much I was underestimating their influence. Kind of, no not kind of, really scary stuff. This show explains so much of what is obviously wrong with society today. So much. Watch it.

• Thanks 1

We watched tonight as well.

I knew that there were some screwy things going on with social manipulation and Big Tech, but I didn't know how deep the rabbithole went.

Really severely tempted to nuke my Facebook now. Only reason I have kept it is it is the only way I can get ahold of some folks (i.e., high school), not that I'm ever on there anyway.

Also, really underscores how much I can't stand Zuckerberg. He's destroying governments, destabilizing countries and engineering other social unrest (like radicalizing the Pizzagate and QAnon nutjobs) and he DOES NOT CARE. He's a psychopath. Anybody who thinks he's going to take any responsibility for any of this or do anything to reform things other than keep raking in cash is fooling themselves.