Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

We watched the first episode of "Lovecraft Country" on HBO last night. It's an adaptation of a novel where a young man, his friend, and his uncle are travelling across 1950s Jim Crow American in search of his missing father. They (obviously) encounter a lot of racism but there are also some crazy non-human monsters. The first episode was like Stranger Things on steroids. 

• Plus1 1

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What in the hell is wrong with you?   Breaking Bad is the best TV show of all time. If you want a show that is exciting and has constant turns go find a soap opera.   This boggles

I'm almost ashamed to post this but I finally got around to watching Breaking Bad.  Holy.  Crap.  It was stupendous.  I immediately fired up Better Call Saul afterwards.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Cobra Kai dropped on Netflix.  I haven't seen it yet.  I am guessing you have seen it Teach

Watched it when it was on YouTube.

If you loved the Karate Kid (aka you are a human being with brains) then you'll ABSOLUTELY LOVE Cobra Kai.  I watched it more than once and I loved how they captured the feel of the movie in the series.  Such a great show imho.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Watched it when it was on YouTube.

If you loved the Karate Kid (aka you are a human being with brains) then you'll ABSOLUTELY LOVE Cobra Kai.  I watched it more than once and I loved how they captured the feel of the movie in the series.  Such a great show imho.

Just 3 episodes in and it is awesome.  Really curious where it goes.  If we weren't traveling early in the morning, I would watch the first season tonight.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

Cobra Kai dropped on Netflix.  I haven't seen it yet.  I am guessing you have seen it Teach

Great show. Season 3 is supposed to come out next year. I didn't realize Netflix had acquired it.

Randomly fired up Train to Busan on Netflix last night since I saw it was leaving the platform at the end of August.  I've probably looked at the movie at least a dozen times over the past year and never pulled the trigger.  It was a really, really pleasant surprise.  It's a Korean zombie apocalypse movie.  Similar setup to World War Z in terms of the way it's shot except it packs a much, much bigger emotional component.  There is also a little bit of an underlying class structure setup aka Snowpiercer.  Movie is in subtitles but the dialogue is relatively minimal so it shouldn't be a distraction.  Would definitely recommend it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, Xmas32 said:

Randomly fired up Train to Busan on Netflix last night since I saw it was leaving the platform at the end of August.  I've probably looked at the movie at least a dozen times over the past year and never pulled the trigger.  It was a really, really pleasant surprise.  It's a Korean zombie apocalypse movie.  Similar setup to World War Z in terms of the way it's shot except it packs a much, much bigger emotional component.  There is also a little bit of an underlying class structure setup aka Snowpiercer.  Movie is in subtitles but the dialogue is relatively minimal so it shouldn't be a distraction.  Would definitely recommend it.

A very good choice. I watched it some time ago.

There is an animated sequel (or prequel?) on Netflix as well I've been meaning to get to.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

A very good choice. I watched it some time ago.

There is an animated sequel (or prequel?) on Netflix as well I've been meaning to get to.

Yes, I saw that as well.  Will definitely be checking it out.

Netflix released a teaser trailer for The Haunting of Bly Manor

Color me very skeptical:

Loved ‘Game of Thrones’? Get Ready for This Major New Netflix Series from the Same Masterminds

If you loved Game of Thrones, feast your eyes on the next best thing to the highly anticipated prequel.

GoT creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are re-teaming up to develop an all-new adaptation of a popular science fiction trilogy. The series will be based on Chinese author Liu Cixin’s The Three-Body Problem, which introduces viewers to an alternate history.

“Liu Cixin’s trilogy is the most ambitious science-fiction series we’ve read, taking readers on a journey from the 1960s until the end of time, from life on our pale blue dot to the distant fringes of the universe,” Benioff and Weiss said in a statement, according to USA Today. “We look forward to spending the next years of our lives bringing this to life for audiences around the world.”

4 minutes ago, GSG said:

Calling all meatheads 

ooh, I'm ready for this! My wife always watches the Great British Baking Show, and I always think: who needs that crap, just grill up some meat!

• Thanks 1

We've been watching Lovecraft Country on HBO and I saw this pop up on there the other day: