Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 12/12/2020 at 9:43 AM, Xmas32 said:

Did another rewatch of Battle Royale which is currently streaming on IMDBtv (free w/ ads.)  If you're wondering what an R rated version of Hunger Games would look like.  Here you go.  Battle Royale came out in 2000 I think.  While there are a handful of differences, it's hard not to watch/read Battle Royale and think that Hunger Games didn't lift quite a bit of material.  Anyways, it's a great watch.

HG totally stole the idea from BR.

a teacher on Hulu...it is sort of gut wrenching at times.

What we do in the shadows...Hulu...it is amazing.

I really enjoyed The Midnight Sky on Netflix. I’m going to stop short of recommending you watch it though. It’s a little slow paced, not many characters, not a bunch of dialogue, futuristic sci-fI. Reminded me a bit of Gravity and Ex Machina albeit a completely different story. I’m not a huge George Clooney fan but thought he was great as the main character. I liked it (and the genre) but some may not share my enthusiasm.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 12:43 AM, Moiraine said:

Cobra Kai doesn't release 'til 2am. Which I could stay up until, but... not like I'm gonna binge the whole season in one morning. 

This turned into a Lifetime movie.  And they keep doing the same things over and over.

It was campy and fun in the first season, the second was OK. But I hope they wrap it up here or they're going to ruin it.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

This turned into a Lifetime movie.  And they keep doing the same things over and over.

It was campy and fun in the first season, the second was OK. But I hope they wrap it up here or they're going to ruin it.

Ya I think it should have 4 seasons then end regardless of popularity. I liked both the 1st and 2nd season but the 3rd had lots of cringey moments. The show was good when it didn't have one dimensional cartoon bad guys. In the original movie everyone thought of Johnny at the bad guy but he never got that cartoonish. He was a bully you knew existed in real life. The stuff happening in the 3rd season is completely unrealistic.

13 hours ago, knapplc said:

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Ya I think it should have 4 seasons then end regardless of popularity. I liked both the 1st and 2nd season but the 3rd had lots of cringey moments. The show was good when it didn't have one dimensional cartoon bad guys. In the original movie everyone thought of Johnny at the bad guy but he never got that cartoonish. He was a bully you knew existed in real life. The stuff happening in the 3rd season is completely unrealistic.

I concur, season 3 got all kinds of silly. Luckily the last episode of s3 seems to indicated that s4 should be the end of the line. It's been entertaining but it needs to wrap up.

46 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It would be more believable if they told us Johnny found a time machine from the 1980s. The schtick of him being stuck in a 1980s mindset was funny at first, but they're taking it way too far.

Agreed, but Johnny being a Neanderthal, no matter how unbelievable, is probably the best thing about Cobra Kai. The two basic things that bug me are they take the bad guy image way too far and HS kids wouldn’t give a crap about karate or their dojo on this scale. I know they need to overplay the bad guy thing with Kress, the girl, hawk etc. but they constantly have them breaking the law with no consequences. This all works in 80’s movies but not so much in a 2020’s series. And the whole Robbie storyline, it’s just out of convenience. No way he should be choosing Kress at this point in time. You can now see all the redemption and culmination stories coming from a mile away. If they stretch this past season 4, it will be terrible.

Hot take. I don’t care for Ralph Machio or especially Daniel Larusso. He’s never been a convincing karate bad a$$ and he’s kind of whiny.