Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOoKGA544Vc

Brain Games. This is pretty good. I've watched the first couple of episodes with my seven year old son. He likes it! It's mostly about optical illusions so far. I see there are a few episodes up on Youtube as well.

This is a great show. Lots of interesting topics. Pretty interesting to learn why you think the way you do.

My kids love it as well. They will dvr it or watch on Netflix all on their own.

Santa Clarita Diet is funny. Would recommend.

I haven't been keeping up with the Adam Sandler Netflix movies, but I thought Sandy Wexler was okay. Would probably only recommend to Sandler die hards.

I liked the Santa Clarita Diet too.

Yup. Good stuff.

Sandy Wexler seemed okay. Only 20 in so far though.

I'm actually on the fence about whether or not I like 13 Reasons Why. My fiancée and I are on the last three episodes.

I once dated a girl in college who liked Secret Life and Pretty Little Liars, so I often sat through some of those shows and did homework or something else why she watched. This series has an air about it, at times, that's very reminiscent of those other shows and not in a good way. In particular, it spends a ton of time telling me sh*t I already know or something that I want to figure out on my own. I don't like it when details or emotions are spoon-fed to me and the tapes do that a lot.

And, even though it's a television show, I find a lot of it incredibly unrealistic.

I just finished 13 Reasons Why. I agree with some of your take on it. Most of the characters seemed really clichéd and they tend to cover some things multiple times and tell you stuff you already know. But I couldn't quit watching it. I watched the last 5 episodes last night and didn't get near enough sleep because of it. I'd highly recommend watching it, especially for anyone who has teenagers or works with or teaches them.

The one critical thing I found farfetched was the fact Hannah made the tapes when she did. Once she reached that point, I wouldn't think she would've cared enough to tell her story. I could be wrong but that kind of bugged me from the beginning. I also had trouble believing the school counselor guy did, or more aptly didn't do anything. I can see the kids not getting it right but that was that guy's job to know better. And of course some of the cover up activities seemed out of place.

I'm actually on the fence about whether or not I like 13 Reasons Why. My fiancée and I are on the last three episodes.

I once dated a girl in college who liked Secret Life and Pretty Little Liars, so I often sat through some of those shows and did homework or something else why she watched. This series has an air about it, at times, that's very reminiscent of those other shows and not in a good way. In particular, it spends a ton of time telling me sh*t I already know or something that I want to figure out on my own. I don't like it when details or emotions are spoon-fed to me and the tapes do that a lot.

And, even though it's a television show, I find a lot of it incredibly unrealistic.

I just finished 13 Reasons Why. I agree with some of your take on it. Most of the characters seemed really clichéd and they tend to cover some things multiple times and tell you stuff you already know. But I couldn't quit watching it. I watched the last 5 episodes last night and didn't get near enough sleep because of it. I'd highly recommend watching it, especially for anyone who has teenagers or works with or teaches them.

The one critical thing I found farfetched was the fact Hannah made the tapes when she did. Once she reached that point, I wouldn't think she would've cared enough to tell her story. I could be wrong but that kind of bugged me from the beginning. I also had trouble believing the school counselor guy did, or more aptly didn't do anything. I can see the kids not getting it right but that was that guy's job to know better. And of course some of the cover up activities seemed out of place.

The show can be addicting in it's own way, that's for sure. I have been reading some other reactions recently and have had a few more thoughts about the show in recent days:

I agree with some critics who say the show (and probably the book, too) doesn't do enough to talk about the resources available to people who are thinking about suicide. They don't even offer any information at the end of episodes (like numbers to call) for people who might be having some difficult thoughts. The entire series, in my opinion, doesn't do enough to counteract the glamour they associate with suicide revenge, which is really what Hannah's tapes boil down to.

I'm also somewhat disturbed at how drastically the show altered the ending, In the book, Hannah apparently commits suicide using pills. The show changes that with perhaps the most brutal how-to-kill-yourself tutorial I've ever seen. I imagine the intent was to shock people with the realities of death and suicide, but I'm still on the fence about whether it was necessary.

I could probably write an essay on what I liked/disliked but those are two pretty critical things for me.

The show can be addicting in it's own way, that's for sure. I have been reading some other reactions recently and have had a few more thoughts about the show in recent days:

I agree with some critics who say the show (and probably the book, too) doesn't do enough to talk about the resources available to people who are thinking about suicide. They don't even offer any information at the end of episodes (like numbers to call) for people who might be having some difficult thoughts. The entire series, in my opinion, doesn't do enough to counteract the glamour they associate with suicide revenge, which is really what Hannah's tapes boil down to.

I'm also somewhat disturbed at how drastically the show altered the ending, In the book, Hannah apparently commits suicide using pills. The show changes that with perhaps the most brutal how-to-kill-yourself tutorial I've ever seen. I imagine the intent was to shock people with the realities of death and suicide, but I'm still on the fence about whether it was necessary.

I could probably write an essay on what I liked/disliked but those are two pretty critical things for me.

It was an excellent show.

My problem is that how do I keep that out of the hands of my teenage daughter in a handful of years? That scene was horrifying and for my teenager who could be having a bad day, to see that? Goodness gracious. It's really scary and these are the reasons why we have helicopter parents, etc. in this day and age. Everyone is so afraid of what could happen, because of the things our children are exposed to at an early age. It's scary and I hope I know if/when my kids are going through tough times so that I can be there to help them, without smothering them.

I'm feel an extreme amount of pain and am deeply sorry for any parent who ever has to go through something like this.

My problem is that how do I keep that out of the hands of my teenage daughter in a handful of years? That scene was horrifying and for my teenager who could be having a bad day, to see that? Goodness gracious. It's really scary and these are the reasons why we have helicopter parents, etc. in this day and age. Everyone is so afraid of what could happen, because of the things our children are exposed to at an early age. It's scary and I hope I know if/when my kids are going through tough times so that I can be there to help them, without smothering them.

I'm feel an extreme amount of pain and am deeply sorry for any parent who ever has to go through something like this.

This might help you - here is one mom's take, and she also happens to be a psychotherapist.

This woman's 12-year-old daughter wanted to watch it because all of the daughter's friends were. The mom said the daughter could watch it under the conditions they 1) watch it together and 2) talk about it afterwards. The daughter didn't want to so the mom said no, then the mom decided to watch it from a psychotherapist's point of view, and came away with a ton of concerns.

I'm not a parent, but in my opinion (and knowing my younger/teenage self), I would've gone to just about any length to watch it if my friends were. I think you're better off offering the same deal to your daughter in the future, or at least requiring to talk about it. The show will probably have a significantly different impact on your daughter since she'll be in the same age range, and as this psychotherapist points out, suicide and death don't register the same way for a teen as it does for an adult. They often can't fully comprehend the finality of suicide.

This might help you - here is one mom's take, and she also happens to be a psychotherapist.

This woman's 12-year-old daughter wanted to watch it because all of the daughter's friends were. The mom said the daughter could watch it under the conditions they 1) watch it together and 2) talk about it afterwards. The daughter didn't want to so the mom said no, then the mom decided to watch it from a psychotherapist's point of view, and came away with a ton of concerns.

I'm not a parent, but in my opinion (and knowing my younger/teenage self), I would've gone to just about any length to watch it if my friends were. I think you're better off offering the same deal to your daughter in the future, or at least requiring to talk about it. The show will probably have a significantly different impact on your daughter since she'll be in the same age range, and as this psychotherapist points out, suicide and death don't register the same way for a teen as it does for an adult. They often can't fully comprehend the finality of suicide.

So the mom is mad about a fictional show?

• Fire 1

I don't understand the question. Should parents not be allowed to be worried/upset/mad/etc. about the content of a show and the way that content is portrayed?

If you read the article, 'mad' isn't necessarily the word I'd use to describe her opinion on it.

• Fire 1

I don't understand the question. Should parents not be allowed to be worried/upset/mad/etc. about the content of a show and the way that content is portrayed?

If you read the article, 'mad' isn't necessarily the word I'd use to describe her opinion on it.

They can be mad about anything they want...she can be upset that Fonzie jumped a shark and that was "dangerous" and she can start a movement to educate young people to not water ski jump over a shark...I'm guessing she won't...

Sadly...this is getting more and more press and will make "it" a bigger deal...

My daughter is 17 and I want her to watch it. Ignoring and not talking about things like this doesn't cause them to not happen. In fact that is what allows tragedies like this to occur. I'd rather have the opportunity for the discussion now than when it's too late. I'm not worried about their depiction of suicide. If somebody gets to that point, trust me, they'll figure out how to get the deed done.

Anyway, when I told her what I was watching, she informed me she had read the book in 6th grade and said that all her friends were watching it now. She just doesn't spend much time watching TV. She has homework, sports and activities and prefers reading books (about 4 per week) to watching TV.

FWIW, I couldn't disagree more with that therapist/mother's take on the show. I got no sense at all of her so called suicide revenge fantasy. However, I did think it unrealistic that a person who had given up caring about life would go to the trouble of telling her story like Hanah did.

FWIW, I couldn't disagree more with that therapist/mother's take on the show. I got no sense at all of her so called suicide revenge fantasy. However, I did think it unrealistic that a person who had given up caring about life would go to the trouble of telling her story like Hanah did.

See, I'm almost in complete agreement with her on that point, but that particular element of the series didn't significantly alter my opinion on it one way or the other.