For any fitness fanatics on this message board

As far as fat intake, nuts are a good source of healthy fats and oils. You should only consume 1 gram of fat per kilogram of lean body mass.

The crummy thing about nuts is, you're supposed to eat them raw, and they're far better roasted. But roasting them takes away the vast majority of health benefits.

Yeah, I know! That is terrible. I've been making a habit of eating them raw though, and they aren't so bad.

C'mon knapp, you gotta try some raw nuts. You'll love it :)

I just threw out my back/pulled a lower back muscle maxing out my squat last week. Suffice to say that I'll add one thing to this discussion:

ALWAYS WEAR A WEIGHT BELT WHEN SQUATTING OR DEAD LIFTING

Yes even *you* who thinks you don't need one. That is all.

Edit: Ok, I can't resist adding another.

I've always found it easiest to add muscle mass by doing mostly compound movements in 3-5 sets of 4-8, always to failure. The key is keeping the lifts compound, and the weight high enough that you are never able to do more than 10-12. If you can do more than 10, you up the weight.

Namely just a few exercises: Bench, Upright Rows, Dips, Military Press, Cleans, Clean & Jerks, Pulldowns/Pullups, Squats, Deadlifts, and Lunges.

I really think this is one of the main things that new lifters ignore, these compound movements. When performed correctly, they target multiple muscle groups and increase both strength and size gains very quickly.

And lots and lots of protein. Chicken, Greek Yogurt, Black Beans, Chicken, Mixed Nuts, Eggs Whites, Chicken. I was talking to a high school kid who was trying to get bigger recently. He was doing all the right exercises. I asked him how much he was eating. He replies, "Enough". Turns out on lifting days, including powder, he was eating around 80-100 grams of protein. Probably closer to 50 on non-lifting days. You really are what you eat. And muscle is protein.

As far as fat intake, nuts are a good source of healthy fats and oils. You should only consume 1 gram of fat per kilogram of lean body mass.

The crummy thing about nuts is, you're supposed to eat them raw, and they're far better roasted. But roasting them takes away the vast majority of health benefits.

Yeah, I know! That is terrible. I've been making a habit of eating them raw though, and they aren't so bad.

C'mon knapp, you gotta try some raw nuts. You'll love it :)

RAW = no pasturerizing....when you pasteurize....when you pasteurize....you begin to denatured and oxidize (destroy) vital micronutrients from the almond. I'm not the biggest fan of almonds...but I consume them once in a while. chuckleshuffle

I just threw out my back/pulled a lower back muscle maxing out my squat last week. Suffice to say that I'll add one thing to this discussion:

ALWAYS WEAR A WEIGHT BELT WHEN SQUATTING OR DEAD LIFTING

Yes even *you* who thinks you don't need one. That is all.

Not a bad idea bro...I always advise wearing a weight belt when you begin to perform very high intensity sets, especially when they are in the 2-6 rep range.

post-8827-0-45215700-1327014018.jpg

Thanks Zoogies! I am big into fitness and overall wellness...so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try and help (within my scope of learning and practice). This is an old pic of me back in '09.

*Played soccer for about 7 years and played football for 3 years. Played 2 years of highschool football as a FB and linebacker...

post-8827-0-45215700-1327014018.jpg

Thanks Zoogies! I am big into fitness and overall wellness...so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try and help (within my scope of learning and practice). This is an old pic of me back in '09.

*Played soccer for about 7 years and played football for 3 years. Played 2 years of highschool football as a FB and linebacker...

That's you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQttDhgptQk

I pictured everyone on this board looking like this

mputergeek.jpg

Right now, I'm probably sitting around 15% bf or so. Been trying to cut fat for a long time, and I'm currently on a cutting cycle. I started the cycle Monday and will go hard until next Friday. Then I will take some time off (maybe a week or two) and then start another one.

Any advice/ideas that anybody could give me to help bust through that plateau would be awesome!

I've lifted weights for probably 15 years and just recently decided to switch to a new workout program called Kosama. It's huge here in Des Moines and is in several other states in the midwest and spreading. If you haven't heard about it check it out. I know they have one in Omaha. I'm also a personal trainer there now and have seen some great results and had some great results myself. Kosama consists of plyometrics, kettlebells, kickboxing, lower body and upper body. I decided to switch to this program because I was needing to go to the chiropractor more and more and my body was starting to ache more from the constant lifting I was doing.

I have been back on the diet kick.. play basketball 3 times a week--lift 3 times a week

lifting is

3 sets 10-15 reps

1) Free Motion Row (seated) - 80#

2) Flat Dumbbell Bench - 50#

3) Free Motion Cable Cross (90 degrees) - Standing Chest Flys - 30#

4) Free Motion Cable Cross (90 degrees) - Standing Reverse Flys - 15#

5) Free Motion Cable Cross (down) Standing Single Arm Diagonal Raise - 15#

6) Free Motion Lift - Standing Arm Curls with Dumbbells (17#) Then Cable - 35#

7) Free Motion Tricep - Seated Facing Mirrors - Single Arm Tricep Extension - 40#

My diet consists of just watching my carb, protein, fat, vegetable, milk, income based on how many grams.

I have my good and bad days. Havent got to lifting consistently..

But the question i have for you guys is this two things:

I am lifting my arms, chest, back fine... but i want good workouts for my abs/stomach and legs. I get solid cardio from basketball but want to get rid of my keg of a belly.

Currently at 250, and trying to get to 220 by April 1

You man want to calculate the percentage of body fat that you have. 15 % is healthy for a man. To lose another 10 lbs you would have to be carrying 38 lbs of fat at 195 which is 19.7%. Your % of body fat is a much better indicator of your health than is your total weight. An excellent book about all of this s "Fit Or Fat" by Covert Bailey. Good luck and stay healthy. That's the important thing. When you get to be an old timer like BRI [ :) ] you may want to do less weight and more reps.

Body Fat Formula For Men

Factor 1

(Total body weight x 1.082) + 94.42

Factor 2

Waist measurement x 4.15

Lean Body Mass

Factor 1 - Factor 2

Body Fat Weight

Total bodyweight - Lean Body Mass

Body Fat Percentage

(Body Fat Weight x 100) / total bodyweight

T_O_B

G>B>R

Right now, I'm probably sitting around 15% bf or so. Been trying to cut fat for a long time, and I'm currently on a cutting cycle. I started the cycle Monday and will go hard until next Friday. Then I will take some time off (maybe a week or two) and then start another one.

Any advice/ideas that anybody could give me to help bust through that plateau would be awesome!

So you started cutting on Monday? or have you been trying to cut for a long time? It's a bit confusing because it seems your statements says both. If you can elaborate and be specific, I might be able to give ya some advice man. Cutting fat takes hard work and dedication....esp. as you begin to age. I am assuming you started on Monday. What is your diet like? What does it consist of on a daily basis?

I have been back on the diet kick.. play basketball 3 times a week--lift 3 times a week

lifting is

3 sets 10-15 reps

1) Free Motion Row (seated) - 80#

2) Flat Dumbbell Bench - 50#

3) Free Motion Cable Cross (90 degrees) - Standing Chest Flys - 30#

4) Free Motion Cable Cross (90 degrees) - Standing Reverse Flys - 15#

5) Free Motion Cable Cross (down) Standing Single Arm Diagonal Raise - 15#

6) Free Motion Lift - Standing Arm Curls with Dumbbells (17#) Then Cable - 35#

7) Free Motion Tricep - Seated Facing Mirrors - Single Arm Tricep Extension - 40#

My diet consists of just watching my carb, protein, fat, vegetable, milk, income based on how many grams.

I have my good and bad days. Havent got to lifting consistently..

But the question i have for you guys is this two things:

I am lifting my arms, chest, back fine... but i want good workouts for my abs/stomach and legs. I get solid cardio from basketball but want to get rid of my keg of a belly.

Currently at 250, and trying to get to 220 by April 1

abs = lying or elevated leg raises or kneeling roll-outs. I prefer kneeling roll outs right now because I do not want to over-activate my hip flexor muscles, specifically my illiopsoas. Experiment a bit, different exercises done with good execution and correct form may benefit you more than others. I know that certain exercises blast my triceps more than others, same with chest, and any other body part I am trying to train.

post-8827-0-90901400-1327029182.jpg

post-8827-0-39325700-1327029204.jpg

legs = squats trump everything or you can diverge into a hack squat or leg press, but squats are the best by far. The hardest exercise for you is usually the best one for ya.

what are your macronutrient ratios like? do you keep your protein high ya think? or do you keep your veggies high? I don't consider milk a very solid dieting tool for a few reasons:

1.) From my research, pasteurized milk is pretty much sugar water with some fat and synthetic vitamin D added in. Not the healthiest form of vitamin D whatsoever.

2.) Typically, if you are trying to bulk, bodybuilders and the like will add in whole milk. If you are drinking skim...you are still ingesting high-glycemic sugar....not something you want in your diet and it can possib. impair your fat loss.