For any fitness fanatics on this message board

Why use a pre-workout supplement?

Have you ever tried one? If not, you should. Just don't become so reliant on them like I have that you can hardly work out without it. If you really want to make strides in the gym, a pre workout supplement is almost necessity IMO. The best ones (like Hyde) will give you endurance like you've never had before in the gym.

What type of workouts are you doing and what is your goal? Mine is maintain health and keep weight off. So, I do 25-30 minutes of aerobic workout and I'm done. I'm starting to work in some resistance training but that's mainly low weight and high reps stuff on circuit training equipment. But, that's mainly just so that I can eliminate repetitive use injuries and keep muscle tone.

In that case, pre workout is probably not necessary. I usually do an hour of lifting and try to play basketball or shoot around for a little while. I alternate between building muscle and cutting fat, usually on 2-3 week cycles.

Not trying to tell you how to do your workout but you should go in 2-3 month cycles, not 2-3 weeks. You will benefit from it a lot better.

Not trying to tell you how to do your workout but you should go in 2-3 month cycles, not 2-3 weeks. You will benefit from it a lot better.

I do it in 2-3 week cycles so that I don't lose as much muscle when I'm cutting fat. It's going to take a while longer to get to the BF% that I'm striving for (10-12% ideally) but I will feel stronger and bigger once I do.

I do it in 2-3 week cycles so that I don't lose as much muscle when I'm cutting fat. It's going to take a while longer to get to the BF% that I'm striving for (10-12% ideally) but I will feel stronger and bigger once I do.

Do you still lift during your cutting periods? Usually during cutting periods, a person will adjust his diet but maintain his lifting schedule. If yours is working great for you, keep on doing it.

Do you still lift during your cutting periods? Usually during cutting periods, a person will adjust his diet but maintain his lifting schedule. If yours is working great for you, keep on doing it.

Increase cardio a little cut out the carbs and lift like you always do IMHO

It's impossible to cut fat and gain muscle at the same time. When I'm on cutting cycles, I switch from separate muscle group days to full-body maintenance lifts and mix in more cardio. It's not the only way to do it, but it does work for me.

It's impossible to cut fat and gain muscle at the same time. When I'm on cutting cycles, I switch from separate muscle group days to full-body maintenance lifts and mix in more cardio. It's not the only way to do it, but it does work for me.

No. It's not. I've done it and I do it. Maybe if you're close to your maximum potential this is the case. But you made a blanket statement which is false.

No. It's not. I've done it and I do it. Maybe if you're close to your maximum potential this is the case. But you made a blanket statement which is false.

Very true! For an example take insanity. Those people didn't have that muscle mass when they started. They also had a much lower BF% at the end.

Very true! For an example take insanity. Those people didn't have that muscle mass when they started. They also had a much lower BF% at the end.

Has anyone or does anyone know someone that did insanity or P90x that looks like they have gained much muscle mass? I ask because someone I work with has been doing insanity and he lost some weight but looks thin and wimpy. I'm a little familiar with these programs and always thought they would be good for losing weight but I would stick with strength training to get the physique I want.

Let me restate it then. It's impossible for someone who has been lifting for a while and is trying to cut the last few % of their BF not to lose muscle while cutting.

For example, professional body builders as they are building in the offseason eat lots of healthy fats and load up on as much carbs, healthy fats, and protein as they can. When they cut fat to prepare for competition, it's a given that they will lose a sizable amount of muscle.

Obviously a person like the people on the Biggest Loser who haven't done a physical activity in their lives, yes they will gain some muscle. Anyone who hasn't been on a physical training program will gain muscle after starting to work out. So you're right, my blanket statement was not correct. I was speaking more along the lines of people who have been lifting for a while.

Has anyone or does anyone know someone that did insanity or P90x that looks like they have gained much muscle mass? I ask because someone I work with has been doing insanity and he lost some weight but looks thin and wimpy. I'm a little familiar with these programs and always thought they would be good for losing weight but I would stick with strength training to get the physique I want.

You know of all the people I've seen do p90x only one was committed to it, and he just looks skinny now. He wasn't fat to begin with, just one of those bigger more filled out types.

Let me restate it then. It's impossible for someone who has been lifting for a while and is trying to cut the last few % of their BF not to lose muscle while cutting.

For example, professional body builders as they are building in the offseason eat lots of healthy fats and load up on as much carbs, healthy fats, and protein as they can. When they cut fat to prepare for competition, it's a given that they will lose a sizable amount of muscle.

Obviously a person like the people on the Biggest Loser who haven't done a physical activity in their lives, yes they will gain some muscle. Anyone who hasn't been on a physical training program will gain muscle after starting to work out. So you're right, my blanket statement was not correct. I was speaking more along the lines of people who have been lifting for a while.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

http://www.bodybuild.../fun/kelly3.htm

Did you post that to prove my point or what?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

I like his philosophy and I kind of already follow his suggestions. I lift M/W/F and do a spin class on T/R which usually has a lot of HIT portions. When trying to cut fat I usually add about 45 mins of cardio on lifting days. I don't like the idea of always doing 45 mins of slow cardio on lifting days though since total gym time would be almost 2 hours. I like to keep it just a little over an hour. I lift for strictly strength and not for bodybuilding.

http://www.bodybuild.../fun/kelly3.htm

Did you post that to prove my point or what?

Did you read it?

I don't see why you keep making these extreme statements. "It's IMPOSSIBLE to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time" "You HAVE to use supplements to make real gains". I mean, give me a break. Talk to everyone in the world that is involved with lifting and/or fitness and see how they've done before making extreme statements like that, especially when there are a lot of inexperienced lifters on the board that are looking for guidance.