For any fitness fanatics on this message board

Never understood the reasoning behind that slice of bun in the middle of the big mac.

To try a Poor Man's Big Mac, order a McDouble, but omit the pickles and ketchup. Instead, ask for special sauce, onion, and lettuce. You now have a mini Big Mac. The flavor of a Big Mac is all there at the price of a McDouble. And an added bonus is that you can order 3 or 4 Poor Man's Big Macs for the price of one Big Mac. Pretty nifty, huh?

http://lifehacker.com/order-the-poor-mans-big-mac-and-other-mcdonalds-secre-1533390319

Many of the studies those claims are based on are disputed, just an FYI. Or at least the firm, overall conclusions being drawn, very often by the public and not by the researchers, are disputed. I wouldn't take any of those claims, or even the science behind them, at face value. The appropriate stance is that it's unclear what, if any, detrimental effect some things added to diet soda have.

• Fire 1

Here is a really interesting article on obesity in America. I am a statistics guy and find this stuff really interesting.

LINK

I'm not surprised but at the same time sort of puzzled at the increase in calorie intake per person. I know there is a large part of our population that doesn't give a crap what they put in their mouths. But, I also thought more people are trying to eat healthy so I thought it would average out.

I guess the number that don't give a crap out number the number that are trying....OR....a large number that are trying are doing a horrible job of it and aren't educated enough on what they are eating.

I see a lot of people like this. They hit the gym for 30 minutes one day and they think that means they can have 10 extra beers that night or an extra piece of chicken AND a biscuit AND some more potatoes.

Haha, yeah. Or the "I'll have two Big Macs, extra large fries, large hot fudge sundae....and a diet coke." People really can rationalize anything.

hamster-wheel.jpg

I watched a gal shovel a pint of ice cream into her mouth and then pull out a bottle of Hydroxycut and take 2 pills.

Many of the studies those claims are based on are disputed, just an FYI. Or at least the firm, overall conclusions being drawn, very often by the public and not by the researchers, are disputed. I wouldn't take any of those claims, or even the science behind them, at face value. The appropriate stance is that it's unclear what, if any, detrimental effect some things added to diet soda have.

I believe the metabolism and obesity stuff. I'm fine including the rest to scare my kids away from drinking that crap.

Never understood the reasoning behind that slice of bun in the middle of the big mac.

To try a Poor Man's Big Mac, order a McDouble, but omit the pickles and ketchup. Instead, ask for special sauce, onion, and lettuce. You now have a mini Big Mac. The flavor of a Big Mac is all there at the price of a McDouble. And an added bonus is that you can order 3 or 4 Poor Man's Big Macs for the price of one Big Mac. Pretty nifty, huh?

http://lifehacker.com/order-the-poor-mans-big-mac-and-other-mcdonalds-secre-1533390319

Pretty sure I invented that trick back when I made poor life decisions such as eating anything from McDonald's that isn't on the breakfast menu.

• 7 months later...

I just started Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 workout and I have to say it is my favorite so far. It is geared toward building raw strength through the 4 core lifts of overhead press, bench, squat and deadlift, along with some accessory lifts thrown in. If any of you are looking to go that route, I would definitely recommend you read about it.

For those that don't know about Jim Wendler, here is his page: http://www.jimwendler.com/sample-page/ and http://www.t-nation.com/all-articles/authors/jim-wendler

I just started Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 workout and I have to say it is my favorite so far. It is geared toward building raw strength through the 4 core lifts of overhead press, bench, squat and deadlift, along with some accessory lifts thrown in. If any of you are looking to go that route, I would definitely recommend you read about it.

For those that don't know about Jim Wendler, here is his page: http://www.jimwendler.com/sample-page/ and http://www.t-nation.com/all-articles/authors/jim-wendler

Seems like a lot of people on the Internets really like this one. Where exactly are you starting from experience wise?

I just started doing Layne Norton's PHAT program after a year of lifting. I've only been doing it a week and my ass is already kicked.

I'm starting PHAT for the new year just to try something new. I like my old routine and made some good strength and definition gains, but it's time for a bit of a change up. I did the power lifts last week (then got lazy and did one hypertrophy mixed workout). Didn't really seem too taxing but I'm used to high volume at this point, just not twice a week.

So random update for anyone who cares: It took me about 2 years to get back to where I was in high school strength wise, while basically cutting all but the last half of 2014. That's after being a total bum for almost 6 years. I also weigh 35 lbs less than I did then. Goal for this year is to see how close I get to 200 before I loose my gut and see some adominables. I was down to 218 last summer and still had a little pouch. That sucker is just stubborn. This year I'm starting at 228 with a little more muscle (and more fat than I wanted), well see how it goes.

• Fire 1

Seems like a lot of people on the Internets really like this one. Where exactly are you starting from experience wise?

I just started doing Layne Norton's PHAT program after a year of lifting. I've only been doing it a week and my ass is already kicked.

I'm starting PHAT for the new year just to try something new. I like my old routine and made some good strength and definition gains, but it's time for a bit of a change up. I did the power lifts last week (then got lazy and did one hypertrophy mixed workout). Didn't really seem too taxing but I'm used to high volume at this point, just not twice a week.

So random update for anyone who cares: It took me about 2 years to get back to where I was in high school strength wise, while basically cutting all but the last half of 2014. That's after being a total bum for almost 6 years. I also weigh 35 lbs less than I did then. Goal for this year is to see how close I get to 200 before I loose my gut and see some adominables. I was down to 218 last summer and still had a little pouch. That sucker is just stubborn. This year I'm starting at 228 with a little more muscle (and more fat than I wanted), well see how it goes.

http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

I am going off his basic 5/3/1 plan. Over the years he has come up with different variations of the program but I am starting with the first one.

I've been doing this for years. Greedy Ray Kroc is charging me $0.60 for Mac Sauce now.

Well, I was going to try to run Lincoln Half Marathon but I think I'm about a week too late signing up.

Hmmmmm.....

I think it's 10 bucks to get in the lottery for the remaining 500 spots isn't it? I was going to try and do that as well, but I'm just not comfortable running long distances yet. My knees love it just running 2 to 3 miles a few times per week.