QB Malik Zaire [Notre Dame Commit]

Player: Malik Zaire

Hometown: Kettering, OH

School: Archbishop Alter

Position: QB (Dual-Threat)

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 190

40 time:

Offers: Boston College, Cincinnati, Indiana, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin

exRcu.gif

Rivals: :star :star :star :star

Scout: :star :star :star :star

247: :star :star :star :star

ESPN: :star :star :star :star

Hey Nexus. This is now our 5th offer to a 2013 QB... Does this number change if Devin Fuller commits? And if we still put out 5 offers and possibly more, what does that say about existing depth chart and our confidence in Fuller or TA at being the guyfor us going forward.

Another thing what do you see happening if multiples in 2013 want to commit to us? I'd like to hear your thoughts thanks!

I get that but with taking hopefully 2 this year, the 2013 recruits come in to TM-sr. BC-jr. TA RFrand DF-Rfr. Or true soph. If 2 of the 2013 offers commit that really jams things up. Especially considering that these guys are all upper talent guys. I'm just wondering if the coaches think we could lose someone by transfer or are gonna miss on Fuller and aren't sold completely on TA. I just really hope we find that gamechanger that doesn't Lose games for us but also has that it that gets us 1-3 wins more a year. Makes plays at the end of games to snatch victory out of hands of defeat.

Hey Nexus. This is now our 5th offer to a 2013 QB... Does this number change if Devin Fuller commits? And if we still put out 5 offers and possibly more, what does that say about existing depth chart and our confidence in Fuller or TA at being the guyfor us going forward.

Another thing what do you see happening if multiples in 2013 want to commit to us? I'd like to hear your thoughts thanks!

I think the standard thinking in recruiting QBs is you want to take at least one QB every recruiting cycle. This helps with potential attrition, injuries and lack of development at the position.

Regardless if Fuller commits, I'm thinking they'll at least take one QB in 2013. If a staff is confident in their current QB depth chart during the season then they can always cut off communication with a future QB recruit and not take one for that cycle.

The common perception of recruiting dual-threat QBs is if it doesn't work out at QB, their athleticism should help them at another position.

Gotcha. ThAnks! Do you know if any of the said offers are leaning our way or if we like one more than most?

Don't know. Too early to tell. We'll have a better idea in April when the evaluation period kicks in.

QB depth is EXTREMELY thin right now, and who knows how many of those new guys get moved to another position, transfer, or land in the doghouse (serious ;)) anyway, the point is to never take QB depth for granted. Recruiting is all about numbers, but QB especially. Never be shorthanded. Get more than you need, keep the cupboard stocked when the inevitable happens, as it often does.

Take at least one every year, IMO.

We took two in the '11 recruiting cycle and have one so far in the '12 cycle. None of the 2 we took in '11, when we really needed 2, made it as QBs. There is some concern that there will be a new transfer on top of that. We needed 1 in '12 anyway even before what happened with the '11 class. I would say the need for two in '12 and at least one in '13 is a definite.

(edit: well, looks like Nexus already answered :P)

So a solid 8 QB on roster is ideal. I'm ok with that number but I just worry about clogging up all the numbers in 2 or 3 classes. Like 6 QBs on roster all being soph. Rfr and true fr. That was my only concern.

Very impressed by this kid. He reminds me of Wilson of Wisc. He has good feet, great pocket presence, and he always keeps his eyes down field. It was pretty obvious as well that he is a better runner than Wilson. In my opinion, this kid is one of the best pure dual-threat QBs i have seen coming out of high school.

Wow, yes please. Great arm and looks to throw first. Looks like Vick on some of those throws with an almost effortless motion with zip. Follows his blocks extremely well with great vision when he runs. Runs alot of our offense, and would probably be really comfortable in Becks system. Love this kid. He is a must have...especially if we miss on fuller.

His pocket presence and confidence is amazing for a junior in high school, ohio state scares me though

Great looking prospect, but I can't get too excited about him because of OSU.

Tebow much? ..... Just saying, the kid can't take snaps under center. ;)

But, no, in all seriousness... How many times do you think this kid is going to hear that name from Urban Meyer? 'Look what I can do with left-handed, dual threat QBs."

"My top choices probably right now would be Ohio State, Pitt and Nebraska," Zaire said. "With Nebraska, it's just the opportunity to work with Coach Beck and be in that environment of Memorial Stadium with their great fans."

"My top choices probably right now would be Ohio State, Pitt and Nebraska," Zaire said. "With Nebraska, it's just the opportunity to work with Coach Beck and be in that environment of Memorial Stadium with their great fans."

I like the sound of that!

If Bo Pelini and our staff can beat Urban Meyer and his staff head to head for this kid I see it as a huge win. Not many times have we done that excluding a legacy recruit like Tyler Moore.

If Bo Pelini and our staff can beat Urban Meyer and his staff head to head for this kid I see it as a huge win. Not many times have we done that excluding a legacy recruit like Tyler Moore.

Hey now, everyone knows Tyler Moore came here because of Barney Cotton.

:sarcasm

Hey now, everyone knows Tyler Moore came here because of Barney Cotton.

:sarcasm

Hahahahaha. Tyler Moore's favorite character in Toy Story was Woody as a kid and he just felt the natural pull towards Barnstache.

We made his final 3:OSU, Pitt, and NU. Obviously Ohio St is going to be a tough battle, but he also has a very close relationship with the coaching staff at Pitt. He is looking to make a decision as soon as possible but wants to visit us before he makes his decision. He should be here sometime in March.

We made his final 3:OSU, Pitt, and NU. Obviously Ohio St is going to be a tough battle, but he also has a very close relationship with the coaching staff at Pitt. He is looking to make a decision as soon as possible but wants to visit us before he makes his decision. He should be here sometime in March.

He's very close with Paul Chryst, from when Chryst was recruiting him at Wisconsin. I don't see him going anywhere but tOSU though, tought to beat out the home state team for a kid they really want, unless his name is Tyler Moore.

He's very close with Paul Chryst, from when Chryst was recruiting him at Wisconsin. I don't see him going anywhere but tOSU though, tought to beat out the home state team for a kid they really want, unless his name is Tyler Moore.

I agree, beating OSU is going to be very hard. But at least he is going to make it here for a visit; we stand a chance, even if it is slim.

And I guess I should say that this isn't his "final 3," they are his top 3.

I agree, beating OSU is going to be very hard. But at least he is going to make it here for a visit; we stand a chance, even if it is slim.

And I guess I should say that this isn't his "final 3," they are his top 3.

At least we are starting to make Top 3 on recruits lists.........Now time to get to #1

Ohio State may be looking to take 2 QBs this recruiting cycle...but the commitment of Jalin Marshall, a Top 50 Athlete who would like a shot at QB (ala Devin Fuller), might give us more of a chance than others think.

It all comes down to the his visit.

The nice thing is that we are going to have the last one before he decides.

Plans to visit in March. I also thought this quote was interesting:

“Something that Coach Beck has talked about is how they run the ball but he also wants to do a lot more passing,” he said. “Not that Taylor Martinez isn’t a good quarterback for Nebraska, but Beck wants to open up the passing game a little bit more. I think that’s what he wants to incorporate with me. He wants that aspect and get into a lot more passing.”

Continue Reading

“Something that Coach Beck has talked about is how they run the ball but he also wants to do a lot more passing,” he said. “Not that Taylor Martinez isn’t a good quarterback for Nebraska, but Beck wants to open up the passing game a little bit more. I think that’s what he wants to incorporate with me. He wants that aspect and get into a lot more passing.”

Continue Reading

This is the message I have been getting as well by looking at the type of QB recruits we've been offering and receiving as of late. Passing the ball in an offense is one of Beck's strengths...I see us going in this direction.

Continue Reading

This is the message I have been getting as well by looking at the type of QB recruits we've been offering and receiving as of late. Passing the ball in an offense is one of Beck's strengths...I see us going in this direction.

That's two QB's this recruiting cycle who have mentioned some sort of shot at Taylor's throwing motion, and this one could even be perceived to come from a coach... At least we're catching on?

Continue Reading

That's two QB's this recruiting cycle who have mentioned some sort of shot at Taylor's throwing motion, and this one could even be perceived to come from a coach... At least we're catching on?

There are a lot worse things said on the trail than that.

Continue Reading

There are a lot worse things said on the trail than that.

Worse things said about the abilities of current players on the roster? Maybe I interpretted wrong... Coaches don't bash the abilities of players as a way to tell recruits they are better and can come in and play, do they?

Continue Reading

If Beck can find a more reliable throwing QB this offense will resemble the '07 Kansas offense a whole lot.

Good news...he plans to make decision March/April.

Bad news is he has added Notre Dame and Wisconsin so top 3 is now top 5.

Let's make a run at this kid. Looks like he could be very good. I have a feeling it could be us vs. OSU.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/midwest/post?id=1824&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblog%2fncfrecruiting%2fmidwest%2fpost%3fid%3d1824

Continue Reading

If Beck can find a more reliable throwing QB this offense will resemble the '07 Kansas offense a whole lot.

bingo. and i think that's awesome. might be slightly more power based than they were, but i would love to see this offense get to that point. all we're really missing is a quarterback like reesing (who was damn good). martinez may get there yet. he's certainly progressed as a passer.

Malik sounds excited about many of his offers but we really can land this kid.

Zaire High On Huskers

"I don’t have a favorite right now, but I can’t even put into words how much I like Nebraska. My relationship with their coaching staff is second to none right now.”

Zaire High On Huskers

"I don’t have a favorite right now, but I can’t even put into words how much I like Nebraska. My relationship with their coaching staff is second to none right now.”

Awesome to hear! I know that he is very close with the Pitt coaching staff as well. And I know that he is very close to making his decision, he hopes to have it all done by the end of March I believe. This would be a very nice pick up.

Zaire High On Huskers

Awesome to hear! I know that he is very close with the Pitt coaching staff as well. And I know that he is very close to making his decision, he hopes to have it all done by the end of March I believe. This would be a very nice pick up.

Although I am more worried about Pitt than anyone else, at this point, but I feel our chances are good. Rich Rod offered a few days ago as well. However, getting Malik would be huge for our class and its momentum, but just can't leave anything to chance.

my worry is about Pitt the most. New coach, with a new style, who has no allegiance to the last coach's players (who he had no allegiance to either, BTW), and just got done coaching Russell Wilson to a great season.

Fingers crossed.

If Meyer wants Malik, than he will get him. But, it all depends on where Jalin Marshall will play at tOSU. There are some rumblings of Jalin playing QB.

I think he is going to end here, No indications or anything I just have that gut feeling

Honestly, my gut tells me the opposite. But thats proably a good thing considering last season my gut told me that Lambert, Fuller, and Peat were all going to be :bigredn: and my told me that we would lose Westerkamp. So maybe this is a good thing.

Offered by Alabama

As a QB?

Yep, but you have to wonder how he would fit in to what Saban likes to do. Malik doesn't fit what type of QB they have traditionally had.

I've never had a solid feeling with Malik. The staff just needs to keep looking for the right QB. I still hope Malik chooses us, but I'm unable to believe he'll be N.