Very Encouraging Class

I am pleased with this class --- and this before the signing is completed.

At DB --- A. Moore, M. Seisay, and L. Alexander seem to be really a great, composite addition. Add C. Jackson (if he is in) and it would make that foursome really an awesome addition... especially with an athlete like B. Heard moving to the DB group --- thus help --- and a great deal of it is on the way

At LB --- we add Z. Anderson, J Afalafa, T. Brown and Mike Rose --- that is a really encouraging group addition to the LB core.

Tommy Armstrong, Whitiker (the OL), Thurston, Westerkamp, and the big RB Cross --- all look really good, very promising and are much needed additions to the O.

The DL got some help too.

If Peat and Valentine end up here --- that is all the better. If not... NU still had a signing day that should have us all smiling and hopeful. Seems like a good class already --- and it may get better.

Who are the three newbies you are most excited about?

For me it is a hard choice --- but I really look forward to seeing Cross, Armstrong & Rose

Every indication is that this will be a good class. Only time will tell. That said, we have some great guys at strategic positions who have signed on.

Regarding A. Peat... it would have ben nice. That siad, we have plenty of really promising young OL talent coming up and Thurston and Whittiker look really good. What we needed most were LB'ers, DB's and a QB. And NU scored pretty well at all those positions of need.

We should be encouraged.

Appreciate you Robsker. I give this class a solid B. Agree with what you said. If we get VV, It's almost a B+ for me ... because of the walk on class. Would have given it an B+ to A- with Peat. I'm pleased ... and pissed. I'll be thankful for a good class. I'm pissed in what my perceptions are ... that being some "closing" issues ... part of that is luck as well. We were fortunate to get Curry back.

I'm not a "downer" today ... but I am pissed a bit ... really felt Peat was ours. It's gonna be difficult for the Husker Peat for sure. Hope the fans take it easy on him.

Appreciate you Robsker. I give this class a solid B. Agree with what you said. If we get VV, It's almost a B+ for me ... because of the walk on class. Would have given it an B+ to A- with Peat. I'm pleased ... and pissed. I'll be thankful for a good class. I'm pissed in what my perceptions are ... that being some "closing" issues ... part of that is luck as well. We were fortunate to get Curry back.

I'm not a "downer" today ... but I am pissed a bit ... really felt Peat was ours. It's gonna be difficult for the Husker Peat for sure. Hope the fans take it easy on him.

They should take it easy on him this isn't the first time we lost out on a recruits better younger brother

Phil Dillard ------- Gabe Lynn(sooner)

Alfonzo Whaley---------- Chris Whaley(whorns)

Todd Peat---------Andrus Peat (cardnial)

Robsker, undoubtedly there are some good pieces to this class, but overall, I don't think it is 'very encouraging.'

Even a poor class can end up doing great if the right players boom, and a great class can see its stars all bust and fall. But right now, purely on a recruiting basis, this class stings - because it is unfinished.

There are 18 to 19 spots, and we secured 17, missing out on the one impact, marquee recruit that from a recruiting standpoint would have elevated this class on his own by being its crown jewel.

Without him, we've come up just short, especially from a numbers standpoint, which is big. I don't think this is the first time we have ended up with an extra ship recently, too - could be wrong.

We had a signing day that started with 14 commits and ended with 17. Make no mistake, we made up ground in a huge way today, even if we came up a little bit short. I would hope that next year, we don't end up with so much up in the air by NSD. It seems like a risky strategy.

decent class. I'm w/ you mark - B. I'm less concerned with our class than I am with Michigan/Ohio States. We need to close that gap, if we don't we'll have some issues. It's pretty large right now.

This is what Pelini is working with: #30, #28, #22, #15, #24.

This is what Meyer is working with: #4, #3, #25, #11, #4

we aren't going to be signing top 10 classes, but we need to be more on par w/ last years class. If a few of these guys don't qualify we end up in a smiliar boat as USC, with scholarship reductions...only ours is self-inflicted. How many scholly's we have left going into spring?

If oversigning is such a huge advantage...how big of a disadvantage must undersigning be?

Does anyone really expect us to close the gap with OSU (with their coaches) or with Michigan (with their coaches and their being on a recent upswing)? Certainly we might desire, draem and wish for a "gap-closing" recruiting class. But that cannot be the standard we use to assess this class. It is a good class. Smaller than, but likely comparable to NU's recent classes in terms of talent per person. And, the needs that were most pressing were addressed.

i do expect us to close the gap. if we don't we're in for a lot of frustration in the coming years. we never had to compete directly with Oklahoma/Texas. Our road to the championship game in the Big12 wasn't exactly difficult. We went into nearly every game in the north race with the best tallent on the field. and will still didn't reach the title game for a number of years. we get Michigan every year now. we have to be closer from a tallent perspective than we are currently. Meyer will outcoach Pelini. Mattison will outcoach Beck. tallent will be what we have to rely on. right now we don't have it. undersigning is not the way to get it.

They should take it easy on him this isn't the first time we lost out on a recruits better younger brother

<<<< This guy feels better ^^^^^ those yonger brothers haven't done much of anything since we whiffed on them. Takes the sting away.

U mad, lil bros?

you-mad-bro.png

Andrus might not be better in then end than Todd. Time will tell. Have Gabe Lynn or Chris Whaley actually performed markedly "better" than their brothers? I actually do not know... but have they?

At this point, Andrus is rated better than Todd. But neither have yet to prove a thing at the college level. Who knows --- both are thought to have great promise. Todd may be better in the end. Or comparable. Or slightly less good. But Todd should be really good. Glad we have him and I simply wish Andrus well.

A big big part of recruiting isn't talent per person, it's having enough persons.

And yeah, I know we're Nebraska and nobody wants to come here and everything, but we've got to close the gap if we want to compete on a consistent basis with these guys. Maybe we can't beat 'em, but we'll need to get closer in order to raise the level of talent and athleticism we put out on the field.

Or hope that we get lucky ;) The 2007 class was not extremely heralded, but it ended up being one of our finest classes in years.

The backbone of this team will always be blue-collar, hard-working kids throughout the roster, scholarship or not. But you know what? We also need the Lavonte Davids who are also freak-level talents, and we need them bad. Imagine a defense without David last year. Not only do we need him, we need more athletes of his caliber all over the field. Frankly, the future of the secondary right now is downright concerning.

I'm not meaning to be a downer here, let's celebrate the class and the talented kids who signed here today. Just trying to emphasize the importance of recruiting, which I feel is being downplayed a lot right in order to rationalize. "Well, 5-stars don't always pan out, ...." "Just saying, _____ signed a Top 5 recruiting class and look where they ended up"...