McKewon: Recruiting strategy

zoogs

I think there is a bit of validity to Bo's point..........

It's not just getting the kid here............it's the inconvienence of a parent having to fly into Omaha on game days and renting a car just to get to Lincoln.

I live in Lincoln and rarely fly out of here because it's only connecting flights................really nothing direct anywhere unless your destination is Chicago, Denver or Minneapolis, etc.

So I don't think Bo was whining..............just pointing out an obstacle that many maybe haven't considered..........

I have to do connecting fights just to get to Omaha from the east

Folks are making some salient points about UN not being unique in not having a major airport in the same city. (I remember a few years ago reading how Okie Lite had to take either the team or the luggage from Stillwater and then land and pick up the other at Ok City because of weight restrictions at Stillwater)

My point was not that we are alone in this, but that Bo was pointing out it was just ANOTHER obstacle ( small state, weather, few D-1 athletes, lack of mountains, beaches, coeds?, etc) that they need to overcome and one that people may not have considered.

I didn't see it as whining..........just pointing it out. Obviously others disagree. No problem.

Folks are making some salient points about UN not being unique in not having a major airport in the same city. (I remember a few years ago reading how Okie Lite had to take either the team or the luggage from Stillwater and then land and pick up the other at Ok City because of weight restrictions at Stillwater)

My point was not that we are alone in this, but that Bo was pointing out it was just ANOTHER obstacle ( small state, weather, few D-1 athletes, lack of mountains, beaches, coeds?, etc) that they need to overcome and one that people may not have considered.

I didn't see it as whining..........just pointing it out. Obviously others disagree. No problem.

i guess when you don't hear this from other coaches in fly-over country, it does sound like whining.......

• Fire 1

Newsflash! Majority of top programs don't have a major airport in the city with direct flights... This shouldn't be a surprise considering Lincoln's population exceeds the majority of other D1 program cities. In the big 12 Lincoln was the 2nd largest city in the big 12 and in the big ten is technically the 3rd largest. However you don't see an advantage being gained by Northwestern(3rd busiest airport in the world) or Minnesota(30th busiest in the world) Where do recruits fly in for Penn State? Philadelphia? Pittsburgh.. either is more than a 100 miles a way. Trust me, we definitely are not in the minority when it comes to this issue. Usually college towns aren't in large cities which have direct flights which makes a lot of sense.

But the vast majority of Top 25 schools are a lot closer to large population centers so, as was mentioned above, they are a lot closer to a lot more recruits that don't have to fly at all or are closer to "major" airports.

Now living in Seattle, coming to Omaha from west coast sucks too, no direct flights.

As for Bo. You werent complaining about this last year....... Coincidence that you say this after a mediocre recruiting year? Had he said this all along, i wouldnt give him a hard time. Just funny he has something to say about it after getting some heat for a mediocre recruiting year.

• Fire 1

I dont think he was complaining, and i also dont think that the class was mediocre. If we knew the class was going to be 25 we would have went after alot more guys then we did. We already seem to have alot more offers out this year already. Just because we only signed 17 doesnt make the class mediocre.

Bo brings up a valid point imo, its called learning from your mistakes and trying to get better. Realize a weakness and work on it to get better. If kids can jump on a plane and be in Lincoln in 3-4 hrs vs being in 3 different airports for half a day, makes Lincoln seem like its not that far away....just a short plane ride and im back home.

Now living in Seattle, coming to Omaha from west coast sucks too, no direct flights.

As for Bo. You werent complaining about this last year....... Coincidence that you say this after a mediocre recruiting year? Had he said this all along, i wouldnt give him a hard time. Just funny he has something to say about it after getting some heat for a mediocre recruiting year.

So, if Bo happens to mention any random subject but doesn't repeat himself every single year with the exact same topic he's whining.

:facepalm:

My Gawd, when it comes to "whining" NU fans are second to nobody.

i would guess he is butt hurt over losing Peat.

So, if Bo happens to mention any random subject but doesn't repeat himself every single year with the exact same topic he's whining.

My Gawd, when it comes to "whining" NU fans are second to nobody.

I am "whining" because Bo never had complained about this before, and I pointed out the obvious?

Wow, pump that sunshine..... :laughpound