S Marcus McWilson [Kentucky - Signed NLI]

Nexus

I'm glad he committed, but after reading his interview with rivals his commitment to us seems about as solid as coach Raymonds. I think the Cardinal Mooney ties help, but I think it'll just depend on who else offers him. If the right school offers him he could be good as gone.

Marcus just reiterated this more or less on a radio interview on 1480. Said mucho great things about Nebraska. HOWEVER, he said he verballed because of what offers he has to this point NU is the best offer. Again said he will listen to future schools, and would visit if the right schools came calling.

I actually appreciate the kids honesty, at least he's not secretly waiting for better offers to come along.

I wonder if this is a new philosophy this year. Let the kid commit if he wants to and hope to hold on to him, keep recruiting him, kind of like we did with Westerkamp. If other schools come calling give him the full court press to try and keep him on board. I gotta think Bo wouldnt like hearing that a recent commit still wants to take some visits. The Bo we have all come to know would say: No your not committed, take your visits and let us know.

Sounds like we lost a few that we had a chance with last year because we told them to go home make your trips and make sure you know 100%. We might get a few more decommits doing it this way, but we might gain one or two more we normally wouldnt have. Would be interesting to know if they have changed up the philosophy a little bit.

I'm glad he committed, but after reading his interview with rivals his commitment to us seems about as solid as coach Raymonds. I think the Cardinal Mooney ties help, but I think it'll just depend on who else offers him. If the right school offers him he could be good as gone.

Marcus just reiterated this more or less on a radio interview on 1480. Said mucho great things about Nebraska. HOWEVER, he said he verballed because of what offers he has to this point NU is the best offer. Again said he will listen to future schools, and would visit if the right schools came calling.

I actually appreciate the kids honesty, at least he's not secretly waiting for better offers to come along.

I wonder if this is a new philosophy this year. Let the kid commit if he wants to and hope to hold on to him, keep recruiting him, kind of like we did with Westerkamp. If other schools come calling give him the full court press to try and keep him on board. I gotta think Bo wouldnt like hearing that a recent commit still wants to take some visits. The Bo we have all come to know would say: No your not committed, take your visits and let us know.

Sounds like we lost a few that we had a chance with last year because we told them to go home make your trips and make sure you know 100%. We might get a few more decommits doing it this way, but we might gain one or two more we normally wouldnt have. Would be interesting to know if they have changed up the philosophy a little bit.

I really think this approach would be beneficial for a few different reasons.

1. Stars tend to be attracted to other stars. This is why things are the way they are recruiting and the Wyomings and the New Mexicos of the world will probably never haul in a top 5-10 class. Great players want to play for great teams, and I think in the short term, they tend to think they'll be more successful if they see a lot of other highly rated recruits going to the same team as them. Thus, stars want to play with other stars.
  2. I think filling up a class early allows us as fans to stop b*tching about going right down to the wire on signing day to get our class to a good size. I don't really think that's the best way to handle it anyway: While I trust the coaches in how they recruit, going down to the wire puts you in a position where if you whiff on the few guys you've really focused on, you either take a flier on lower rated guys or are just plain screwed.
  3. It would allow the coaches to use the ole "The class is filling up... we want you but can't hold a spot forever" pitch. Seemed to work on VV this year.

All in all, I think Bo and staff are growing as recruiters and starting to think that some aspects of their hard line way of doing things need to change.

• 1 month later...

I really think this approach would be beneficial for a few different reasons.

1. Stars tend to be attracted to other stars. This is why things are the way they are recruiting and the Wyomings and the New Mexicos of the world will probably never haul in a top 5-10 class. Great players want to play for great teams, and I think in the short term, they tend to think they'll be more successful if they see a lot of other highly rated recruits going to the same team as them. Thus, stars want to play with other stars.
  2. I think filling up a class early allows us as fans to stop b*tching about going right down to the wire on signing day to get our class to a good size. I don't really think that's the best way to handle it anyway: While I trust the coaches in how they recruit, going down to the wire puts you in a position where if you whiff on the few guys you've really focused on, you either take a flier on lower rated guys or are just plain screwed.
  3. It would allow the coaches to use the ole "The class is filling up... we want you but can't hold a spot forever" pitch. Seemed to work on VV this year.

All in all, I think Bo and staff are growing as recruiters and starting to think that some aspects of their hard line way of doing things need to change.

I'm with you on this one. Also, I think it's really difficult for some of these kids to decommit. It doesn't seem that way because it happens so often - but I guarentee you it's far more difficult to pick that next school when you're already committed somewhere else, than when you aren't attached. I don't see how this can hurt us. I know a lot of kids like the "black/white" approach Bo takes, and the idea that you're either committed or your not adds teeth to that...but I just can't see any harm being done with allowing some of these soft verbals. Especially when it's not done behind closed doors like some times in the past. I think Bo has been more concerned with the perception the breakup has, than about actually landing the kid. He'd rather risk the recruit than risk the public breakup. Well, this kid has gone public, he's going to have to go public if he wants to switch now as well. It's a much tougher thing to do in his current position.