DE Joe Mathis [Washington Commit]

Nexus

he has stated that he will OV Washington, ASU, Utah, and Texas and most likely Alabama. :hmmph He states that the only reason he is not OVing with Nebraska is because he was here for BRW. When asked whether he was going to this week's game, he replied, "Heck yeah I'm going to that game!" Looking for a strong relationship with all the coaches that he will deal with at the school that he commits to. Got his GPA up to 2.6 and passed the ACT. So, he's really cleaned up his act and looks pretty interested in Nebraska.

chuckleshuffle

Yeah, I saw this too. But what exactly does it mean to "pass the ACT"? I would really like to see what his actual score was.

It probably means that he got a high enough score to get into the schools that he's interested in.

So with a 2.6 GPA, what score would he need? Anyone know?

His GPA and ACT aren't linked, at least at UNL. If you have a passing GPA and a 22 ACT score I'm pretty sure you can be accepted to UNL.

he has stated that he will OV Washington, ASU, Utah, and Texas and most likely Alabama. :hmmph He states that the only reason he is not OVing with Nebraska is because he was here for BRW. When asked whether he was going to this week's game, he replied, "Heck yeah I'm going to that game!" Looking for a strong relationship with all the coaches that he will deal with at the school that he commits to. Got his GPA up to 2.6 and passed the ACT. So, he's really cleaned up his act and looks pretty interested in Nebraska.

chuckleshuffle

Yeah, I saw this too. But what exactly does it mean to "pass the ACT"? I would really like to see what his actual score was.

It probably means that he got a high enough score to get into the schools that he's interested in.

So with a 2.6 GPA, what score would he need? Anyone know?

His GPA and ACT aren't linked, at least at UNL. If you have a passing GPA and a 22 ACT score I'm pretty sure you can be accepted to UNL.

It's not UNL's to worry about. You have to have a certain score that goes with your GPA in order to qualify by NCAA standards. Same goes on with the SAT's, so if you have under a 3.0 you need like an 800 or better on them, or at least thats what it was when i was getting ready to go to Creighton. I basically had to fill out my name on the SAT's in order to qualify with my GPA.

Yeah, the NCAA has its own eligibility requirements independent of the individual institution. You can see how it all shapes up here: Eligibility Center Reference. If his GPA is 2.6, then he needs the sum of the four separate sections of the ACT to be at least 64. I think that works out to a 16 composite.

Perfect! Thanks for that. As long has he can keep this GPA up, a 16 is a very realistic score for him to achieve.

I'm impressed he took the grades to heart and pushed himself to get everything up to a qualifying standard. A 2.6 GPA isn't good but should be a little higher by graduation if he continues to take school seriously. This kid could be a really good player in the future if he keeps up the work ethic. I really think we take it to UCLA and move to his top spot.

Biggest question is. Can we get him out of Cali?

I think definitely. I get the feeling that it's between us and Michigan, with Washington at about a 10% chance. But that's just my gut feeling.

Michigan could be in, but I think they'll fill up before he decides. I'm honestly more concerned about Washington. He really likes Coach Lupoi and was committed there once. For selfish reasons, I'm interested to see how they'll do on defense this year.